1 star review was given after I filed a furniture damage claim and may damage my superhost status

Hans83
Level 2
California, United States

1 star review was given after I filed a furniture damage claim and may damage my superhost status

Hi,

Airbnb changed their "rules" for superhost, added average review score must be at least 4.8, which is reasonable, but, I got a 1 star review, the reason was  I filed a furniture damage claim, airbnb reimbursed me $1478, but my guest cannot take their security deposit back, so gave me a 1 star review. There were other reasons, like they booked using 4 people, but actually, 10+ people, etc.

For one 1 star review, I need 19 five star reviews to make it average 4.8. (1*1 + 5*19)/20 = 4.8.

My current review score is 4.7.

Can airbnb make an exception, if due to furniture damage, filed claim, guests leave a 1 star or whatever none-5-star review, just skip/ignore/delete it. It's not fair due to just ONE bad guest.

It's something like this, you are a landlord, your tenants did not pay you the rent, you filed an eviction. They got evicted, but they used all means to make your reputation bad, but the truth is they did not pay the rent.

Can Airbnb management consider my suggestions?

thank you in advance.

Han

11 Replies 11
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Hello @Hans83. As you may probably know, here it is a community center of hosts and guests, so you need to contact Airbnb directly.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Rachel248
Level 2
Calgary, Canada

Seems like the best way to fix this in time for the next reporting period is to get another 5 star rating! 😉

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

@Hans83 If a review is obviously retaliatory in nature, it seems that it would only be fair to filter it out of your overall rating. If not, then you are suffering 'damages' not once, but twice, and that does not seem right, especially given you are a Super Host and our efforts and presence on the platform are supposedly highly valued by Airbnb. What has Airbnb said about it to you? Did you already speak with them?

Hans83
Level 2

The level 2 support said they cannot remove any review unless the review vialates the content policy. In my response, I released airbnb reimbursed me $1487, violated the content policy, so my response got removed. It's really not fair.

I sent another email to airbnb already.

Hans83
Level 2

my current group booked 28 days (a 4/3.5 golf villa), my coming group booked 52 nights (2 beds/1 bath suite) . I also have some short term bookings coming, but sometimes, it's really not under host control. For example, one people, he just left, he booked just one room. He is one person, but used 8 glasses, never cleaned.  He occupied almost all kitchen space, a lot of plates, pans. I decided just do NOT leave a review. He frequently come to my area and used airbnb a lot times, but his review is 0 (times, not score). 

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Hans83

I think you need to ask yourself what you would rather have - the refund for damages or the Superhost status.  

From posts on the forum, it seems claims will often result in bad reviews/low ratings.

Hans83
Level 2

That's why I am asking if due to this specific reason, can airbnb make an exception?

This is common, so it's reasonable.

Rene-and-Zac0
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Hans83 First off, CONGRATULATIONS on getting $1478 out of Airbnb.That alone is a huge win. 

‘You know it’s hard out here for a Host’ 

Hans83
Level 2

My official date to start my airbnb business was from Sep/Oct 2017 (after I purchased a 4/3.5 golf hotel villa, before that, I mainly focus on long term renters), and I got totally $47K from airbnb and friends referals. $1478 is only 3.14% of my revenue. I'll also turn my another 5/3 house into short term vacation rental (currently under 2 year lease). From that point of view, I do need a superhost status.

I also have had problems with damaged furniture. I have ordered a table made of glass and when I received it was scratched. I was very angry 'cause I understood that it because of the bad delivery service. I started to call the company after that the shop where I ordered it. In the end, they sent me a new table but it was a long and hard way of complaints. Since then I don't believe in free delivery or in the delivery that the shops are providing. One of my friends told me about Furniture Movers https://expomovers.com/furniture-movers/ services that he is using for a long time. So be careful with the damaged furniture.

Gema57
Level 3
Weatherford, TX

One useful suggestion that I do have, as I have recently had to file 3 claims within the last 1.5 months and only had to one other time when covid first happened and a family ravished my place, getting blood all over my comforter, stealing toilet paper/paper towels because it appeared that this guest did not want to search for this due to the national shortage of these items at the time, but airbnb did not do anything about the toilet paper/paper towels. Anyway, back to where I was.....I would definately suggest making sure the guest is checked out and has already made their review prior to you bringing up damages. This has saved us SO many retaliation reviews; I did have my most recent review and claim of over $6k worth of damage from one guest over a 28 day stay, she replied to my mediocre review of her noting the damages, and she replied on that review of racial driven remarks that my fiance and I treated her differently than the white guest that was in the home at the same time. I was able to get Airbnb to remove her comment, as she also not only violated that, but gave us a 5 review and then once she saw my review of her, she had it removed. On her comments of my review, she stated things that contradicted things she said in her great review of us, which doesn't even make sense. Unfortunately, youve got to think about these things when you have guests in your home. I am currently dealing with this claim, and do not know the outcome of it, but I am hoping that having 3 claims due to bad guests one after the other, does not affect anything.