1 star reviews by guests need a gatekeeper - retaliatory allegations of criminal activity by host

Steve416
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

1 star reviews by guests need a gatekeeper - retaliatory allegations of criminal activity by host

Hi All,

It is unfortunate that situations of bad guests are becoming widely reported in this forum, and I have had my share of dishonest, disrespectful guests. However, somehow I have managed these matters to avoid retaliatory reviews until now........

I am reaching out for guidance as I have found myself in a situation which highlights serious shortcomings with the review process and a lack of reasonableness by Airbnb, especially as regards defamatory attacks on a host. 

After a spate of bad guests, I resorted to installing an external motion sensor security system. This is disclosed in my listing, house rules and manual, both online and in hard copy at the property. Well we all know the challenge of ensuring guests are aware of house rules, even though the rules are agreed in the booking process.

That said, not surprisingly, the only guests who have had an issue with the security are those who have been caught doing the wrong thing. It is interesting that these guests, when confronted with a breach, adopt the ‘attack is the best form of defence’ approach, even in the face of irrefutable evidence.

Such was the case with a recent guest who booked for 5 but had 9 guests stay, brought a pet, damaged and stole property.  Confronted with these breaches, the guest sent defamatory, threatening messages via my Airbnb account. I contacted Airbnb support and flagged my concern of a retaliatory review - that seemed to fall on deaf ears. 

Again no surprise when the guest rated her stay 1 Star, in contrast to my previous 5 star reviews from 23 guests, and raised a litany of complaints that were not mentioned on checkin or during her stay as if course they were fabricated. However, in this case the review has gone too far. 

The guest review states

‘BE WARNED. Police report made about host watching my family on his CCTV’

This is disgraceful. Not only is it false (I have not been contacted by the police and I am not ‘watching ‘ anyone) it is an attack on my character, alleging criminal behaviour.

As I could not let this stand as it was, and I was having difficulty getting in touch with Airbnb (any support requests were just being closed), I logged a public response. Airbnb has now advised that as I have publicly responded it is ok as they .........but it’s not ok. This review is not only retaliatory and dishonest but it is aimed to threaten and harass me - which is a breach of Airbnb policy 

Response from Airbnb 

We can certainly understand the disappointment in our decision to uphold this review. Please know that our general policy is to not remove reviews. This is because reviews help generate an honest portrayal of the variety of experiences that our hosts and guests have with each other. In rare circumstances, a removal may occur when a user has violated our content policy.

Please know that I have taken the time to carefully review this case and all of the relevant details with my team and at this time we have determined that we are unable to identify a violation of our content policy, and as such we will be unable to remove the review.

——————————————

I have dealt with various challenges with Airbnb to date, but the failure to remove a review falsely stating that a host  has been reported to the police and falsely alleging criminal behaviour is negligent. 

If anyone has had any similar experience with being defamed, I would appreciate your guidance. I’m not sure where to go from here:

- explain to future booked guests that I am not a deviant 

- remove my listing

- seek legal advice

A key point that comes out of this experience is that for a guest to rate a host 1 star, there is something very wrong and  this should be subject to scrutiny before being published.

I would imagine,in most cases the 1 star rating is retaliatory. If there has been a breach by the guest or a resolution claim raised by the host,  the guest should not have any right to review the stay - the guest has waived that right by their wrongdoing.

airbnb talks about honest experiences - What they fail to recognise is that many of these 1 star reviews are motivated by dishonesty.

any guidance is appreciated 

kind regards

Steve

5 Replies 5
Steve416
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

One thing I forgot to mention was if anyone in the community was of a mind to view my listing and check the flag to anonymously report the review (Renee), this might result in the review being removed. I dont imagine another host would like their listing  to say that they have been reported to the police - thanks in advance

steve

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi@Steve

Use your right to reply.

Make it short and not a tome to rival War and Peace, otherwise we switch off.

Air bnb will remove none sense posts from either guest or host so I suggest you phone your local air bnb number to justify your reasons for post removal and have proof on the form of documented conversation with said guest, you had, via the air bnb platform

Robert852
Level 10
Tours, France

Gave it a try, you never know , if enough do it ...

Miki5
Level 10
Montreal, Canada

I’m so sorry you’re having this bad experience. I’m in the midst of my own bad review and have spent the last two days trying to turn this around. The only thing you can do is respond. Short and sweet stay calm and above the fray. You want to come off as a host who can remain gracious while being critiqued. I think you may have already replied though and it’s unfortunate it’s so lengthy. Try calling ABB to see if you can replace it with a calmer response. They usually won’t allow this, but perhaps the charge of “spying” can be used to explain the seriousness of this.

If you can rewrite a review you should do the following:

1.Apologize. I know. I know. But your response is not to this guest but to future guests.

2. Explain simply in one sentence why the camera is there and remind the guest it’s mentioned in your listing.

3 Say it’s unfortunate that due to less than perfect communication this guest felt it was okay to bring extra guests to your place.

4. Thank them for their feedback and wish them well. 

Then go on with your life;) That’s  what i’m trying to do, yet i’m still on this forum spinning over my own bad review. Best of luck. 

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Steve416  I would contact AirBnB and demand they get a copy of the actual police report "previously" filed by guest. If the guest cannot produce it, they then must remove the review as not factual and is damaging your business and personal life with it's allegations. I would not let up on this. Also she mentioned an on going dispute with AirBnB, this is not allowed no investigation can be mentioned in a review it grounds for removal instantly. I would demand they pull this review for both of these reasons. Throw their own policies right back at them.