A guest was attempting to get a stay for 2 guest but only pay for 1

Steven54
Level 2
Decatur, GA

A guest was attempting to get a stay for 2 guest but only pay for 1

A guest requested to book a stay with me, however he mentioned there were 2 of them. When I informed him that he'd need to change the reservation to reflect 2 people he said he had, yet it still showed 1 guest for me. He argued that my listing said 2 guest for the price he was trying to get but it did not otherwise he would have booked for 2 guest. I accepted the reservation then requested he accept the change to 2 guest giving his story the benefit of the doubt, He then informed me that they could not pay the price for 2 guest. I cancelled the booking but I know without a claim I'm looking at a 100 Dollar fee. How do I reach someone at AirBNB to appeal to this? I don't think it's right I be penalised for a guest trying to scheme me. 

16 Replies 16
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Guest should have cancelled failing that you should have contacted AirBNB to cancel.

Now all you can do is call them and see what they will do.

David
Andrew90
Level 10
New York, NY

skip to end and of thus guide to find phone number and call them. “Contact Airbnb: A Community Help Guide - Airbnb Community”

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Hosts/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide/m-p/16165#M728
Andrew - see community help guides for many great FAQ

Thank you. I mean, I can't MAKE the guest cancel their own reservation, and I had asked them to change it which they refused. I didn't know there was a way to contact AirBNB until now. Thank you again. 

You can "make" them.  You have to tell them firmly that you will not allow 2 people in the listing without a proper reservation.  If they show up with 2 people, not only will they not have a place to stay because you will not let them in, but they will be out the money based on your cancellation policy - which in the case of this property was set to "strict" (unless you've changed it since that exchange).  And if they still show up - don't let them in.  

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/149/what-is-the-airbnb-cancellation-policy

https://www.airbnb.com/home/cancellation_policies  

That's too aggressive for my taste and involves total strangers showing up to my house and having a confrontational experience. Not something I would facilitate if other options are available. 

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Steven54

While I'm willing to give some people the benefit of a doubt, there are many others who purposely try to take advantage of situations. There are for sure those who make a genuine mistake when booking for one while they are searching for a place for 2, but as you can see in the case of your guest who first spins a vague story about the site, then admits it's all too expensive, I am absolutely convinced that was their game from the start.

Since you did all the exchange on your message page Airbnb can look into it as proof it's all as you say.

You have 2 choices now that the reservation is booked: 

1. Let them stay without paying 

2. Tell them they can't stay without paying 

You are looking for someone else to be the heavy and tell them they can't stay without paying.  Pick whatever soft style you like, but those are your options.  You can call Airbnb and tell them that the guest is trying to bring 2 people for the cost of 1 and they may intervene on your behalf.  

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Steven

I would suggest you become a bit more familiar with the whole hosting process to help avoid these situations arising in the future.

There is a section on the website for hosts that you can review along with great guides on this forum.

That wasn't helpful at all. You could have at least referenced a specific section related to my case. This is like if someone is saying they are feeling bad and someone else suggest "Read the bible".... The whole thing huh? 

Messages sometimes do not come across very well compared to talking to somebody.

Basically there are lots of things that people get tripped up by, so if somebody has this one there is probably other stuff they missed.

We all went through it, sometimes learning the hard way.

David
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Steven

I can only do this by going in and finding it for you - so I would need to go through exactly the same process  as yourself to find it 😞

I would hardly refer to the host section on BNB as a Bible.

I never said there was a section related to your case but that BNB provided a useful section on its website for hosts and advised you become familiar with it

Did you actually go onto the site and try and find it. I did - it took me two seconds

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/topic/232/changes---cancellations

@Steven54

Hosting on airbnb is a job and like all jobs you need to learn the ropes to do the job well.  

You cannot expect that fellow hosts on a host discussin forum will use their spare time to do the legwork for you.

Here is a good read:

https://globalhostingblogs.com/2015/12/06/ten-guests-you-dont-want/

A booking on airbnb is a contract between guest and host.  Showing up with more persons than the booking shows is a breach of contract and you have all rights not to let them over the threshold.  

If you have the proof of correspondance on the airbnb platform, there is a chance that airbnb will waive the penalties if you contact them in a humble and factual manner.  

Personally I think these people deliberately led you into a trap.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Steven54 Hi Steven, this is always going to happen. Every guest automatically assumes that the booking is for two people because that is the way hotels operate....they let a room on a two person basis! I get one + one....one adult and two children....even two adults, one child and a couple of dogs all enquiring as 1 guest!!!

Although you do state that your price is for one person with an additional amount for a second person most people would not read that....it's in the fine print....as it were.

We have a problem with couples with children! Babies and infants are not classified as 'guests' as far as potential guests are concerned. They are treated as suitcases.....luggage....something that just happens to tag along with the ' guest' . We find that more cleaning and rejuvenating of our cottage is required after a guest with a couple of infants has stayed and yet it does not seem to be worth the trouble pursuing it through the Resolution Centre and, many guests seem to play on that.

I could logically say, stick to your guns Steven, but cancel a confirmed guest booking.....geeez no, definitely not worth it. My advice would be lift your accommodation price by one dollar! Most guests will not require you to go that extra yard but the odd one that will be covered by the rest.....cheers....Rob