A nice way to put disclaimer about spiders/nature

Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

A nice way to put disclaimer about spiders/nature

Being in the PNW, it is not uncommon to have spiders. With the fall season coming, I would like to put a "disclaimer/warning" that guests MIGHT see spiders. I have a big yard/garden at home, so I definitely will not inspect/destroy every spider web every single day. I already put a *closed* spider traps in the house/unit, that way, if for some reason there are spiders inside... most likely they will go there and we will not be able to see it as it will be stuck inside and I always check and clean this between every guest. I also spray peppermint as I heard that is one of the natural ways to handle spiders.

Some guests are not doing themselves a favor by keeping the door open and guests who are not familiar with the PNW and the nature we have here can freak out to see spiders as it is a monster or something...

Anyway, I want to ask for advice on how to put a nice disclaimer in the listing about this, so there will not be any surprises without scaring future guests away. It is not a cleanliness issue and it is not really under my control 100%.

Thanks!

7 Replies 7

@Farah1:
I feel your pain! I personally would not want to rent a home with a spider problem, but, as the Bible says, there are spiders in king's houses. We are in the middle of a very wet monsoon season in Arizona and having the same trouble keeping bugs outside as they don't like rain either.

Perhaps instead of singling out spiders, you might say that your home is rural and surrounded by beautiful flower gardens so on occassion and despite our best efforts, a stray bug, spider or other nature-loving creature may wander inside, especially if a door is left open.

@Tim-and-Holly0 thank you for your input! I actually do not live in a rural area and in the city instead. It is just the PNW, even a nice building at downtown might have spider webs in their parking lot. Personally, once it is outside in nature, it is not even our space to intervene unless it is actually affecting us. Also, it is not *that* bad, it does not happen all the time, but of course it happens to the guest that will freak out to see 1 tiny spider 😄

Your suggestion is great! I appreciate it.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

I would make no mention of it, it is a can of worms that would be hard to explain. Unless is a serious problem in reality. So they may see a spider, so what. In the PNW they may see Big Foot, but the chances are slim.

Or you can be more circumspect and say: 'Not well suited for people that suffer from arachnophobia'. (joking)

Haha thanks, @Fred13 , exactly! Chance is slim but usually happen to the *wrong* person. I might hold off and see how it goes in the fall first and will update the listing if needed.

@Fred1 @Farah1 I know this is an old thread but I'm glad to have found it. I just lost over Eur 1,400 by taking a 39 night booking in my very clean, disinfected to Covid standards, fresh-flowers-in-vases sort of thing, 3-bedroom 2-storey fully equipped house. Because the guest's husband has arachnophobia. Airbnb, to my deep disgust, made absolutely nothing of their non-disclosure, nor gave any leeway because of this guest's psychological problem. They stayed one night in our house, and despite our offers to help, they left and asked for a full refund. We said we'd try to re-rent it and reimburse what we could. They went to Airbnb. Airbnb even reimbursed the cleaning fee after I spent 7 hours cleaning. This is a rural house and the husband admitted he used to live on a farm and knew full well there might be spiders at this time of year. Because I didn't have something in my listing's description, I'm snookered - I can't even leave a review or she will see that I've done so, and MIGHT slay me with a 1* review. After losing so much money already I can't afford that. Which is regretful, because she is new to Airbnb - July 2020, zero reviews - and I have been hosting 3 properties since 2014. Anyhow, again, glad to find your suggestions for nicely stating plain, rural reality.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Farah1

omg... human kind is affraid of a nature ... while in fact they should be affraid that nature is dissapearing beneath a concrete 😞  

Tell them that spiders have their role in nature, they are catching flys, moscitos and other insects so your guests doesn't have to use cemical repellents 🙂 

@Branka-and-Silvia0 I know, that is sad 😞

Thank you!