A rude guest that I don't know what should i do with

Ahmed11
Level 1
Palma, Spain

A rude guest that I don't know what should i do with

Hello everyone . 

I have been using airbnb for a while now . yesterday i had a guest who checked in to my apartment , he's italian with his family who doesn't speak english at all , he assumed that the flat has 5 beds , i wrote in the descreption that there is one main double bed that fits two people, 2 single beds and 1 extra mattress for the 5th person, i'm pretty sure he didn't read that, I have hosted 5 guests in the apartment most of the times i rented the full apartment and never had such a problem , immediatly after I showed him the description on airbnb he started shouting with a very bad attitude and he was swearing in italian and nearly screaming to my face  , i don't know why they right away went smelling all towels and pillows and removing the bed covers and checking the bed covers with very angry face . they found them clean and didn't say anything and then they started complaining that the towels are not clean and i'm pretty sure i washed them before their arrival , then they started emailing me about what's left in my fridge like katchub, mayonnaise, jam and soya source and different kind of sauces that are mine and I use them , should I throw everything I have each time any guest come and check in and leave empty fridge ?? there's nothing expired or smelly and there's empty space in the fridge to use and I'm sure I have big fridge that's enough and never got any complaints about it . all of that was yesterday and today they started messaging me saying that they towels are wet and i should change them , how can they be wet if they said they were not clean yesterday . and they started asking me about a refound i'm pretty sure they are making alot of things up now thinking it will help them to get a refound , btw i had a cleaniing lady who came on the same day of their arrival and cleaned all the floor , toilet , kitchen and I have an official copy of the conversation with her with the dates and time i emailed it to the guest already , their bad attitude made me angry and i don't know what i should do with them , i already asked them if they don't like the apartment they can cancel the reservation and ask airbnb about the refound and they will decide , my refound policy is strict and i don't know what will happen or what i should do any advices ??

and btw all of the emails and messages he sent were in italian that i kept on translating .

thank you 

8 Replies 8
Patricia186
Level 2
Muine Bheag, Ireland

Ahmed

This sounds terrible for you. And this sounds like a very rude person you are trying to deal with.

You are doing the right thing - from what you are saying it does appear your guest is nitpicking and trying to force a situation. A person like this is unlikely to be pleased

If this was me in this situation, I would suggest they cancel their reservation as they are so unhappy.

Keep all your records and messages as they will be uselfu if you need to use the Airbnb resolution centre

the best of luck!

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Ahmed11

I think you need to point out that they have rented a holiday home - they are not staying in a 5* hotel or a top class serviced apartment where towels are changed daily.   In an apartment they should simply hang them up to dry or put them in the drier.  Then put them in the washer when they feel the need.  

This is of course the worst sort of guest possible and will not be happy whatever you do.  Your description is clear when it comes to sleeping arrangements - point this out as well.  

Be ware that in they end they will use every excuse possible to get a refund.  Do not give in.  And leave a honest review and a thumbs down.

I support what Marit wrote! Totally 110% agree

Charles5
Level 3
Jersey City, NJ

Hi Ahmed;

Sorry about your rude guests. I just had one too. Every once in a while one will come around - just the nature of the business.

I reported it to the resolution center, got a Case Manager involved and he negotiated a resolution. Respond to their written complaints with the facts, eg that open items in the fridge belong to you and they are welcome to use them if they like or they can find some at the supermarket. Hang in there, their stay will be over before you know it; then the appreciative guest will come in!

Hello

Yes, I understand this. This happens when guests don't seem to understand that they're staying in someone's home, not in a hotel or serviced apartment. I do this. I point out nicely that if they would prefer hotel or motel style accommodation, it is okay with me if they'd like to cancel the booking. Oh, and the cheapest motel around here costs three times what I'm charging.

I find that people become more manageable afterwards.

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I think you were very patient - if it was me I would have kicked them out straight away for being so rude and informed AirBnB about their antics. It's not worth putting up with that type of disrepectful behaivour.

Now that we are on the topic,  my evil twin has a suggestion.

Some tolerance is required in Hosting. This means anticipating negatives.

Don't "think" you washed the towels. KNOW that they are clean and spotless. It's easy enough to buy cheap and cheerful bamboo towels.

How important is mayonaisse? If a rental includes use of your (shared) fridge, take your condiments and put them in the pull out drawer. 

Cheers!

....And in the same breath, my good twin would like to add that no one EVER gets to curse, swear, or raise their voice to me in my own home.

No excuses.

No tolerance.