AirBNB Fee Increases are most definitely nearly a year later affecting my booking

Corinna55
Level 2
South Carolina, United States

AirBNB Fee Increases are most definitely nearly a year later affecting my booking

I am frustrated as in this past year I have watched my boking prices steadily decreasing.  Several months back I checked on fees and found them to be 15%.   I keep a close eye on my listings, I am a super host,  and have a very high end unit in a prime location that stays consistantly boked but I am finding I am having to lower my prices more and more to keep it booked.  I have in the past few months received several 4 star ratings fo value (an done 3 star) and that has never been the case years prior so it has to be the added AirBNB cost.  And, in my priicng tool it says 74% fewer people shopping.       

We all want to make as much money as we can but I dont feel I am getting any sort of service beyond advertising for this addd expense yet I am paying for it while losing revenue and ultimately firing my management company who also was charging 15% BUT proving a lot in the way of service for that fee.  Luckily I am able to make up for that yet I am still losing as I am discounting my listing more than 15% over last year.  

Does anyone have a similar expeience and what can do we do to get through ro AirBnb that higher booking volume based on a  lower fee on their part really is more profitable than charging more?

6 Replies 6
Niel3
Level 10
Llanberis, United Kingdom

I thought AirBNB's fees were 3% not 15%?

Linda271
Level 1
Wappingers Falls, NY

3% for hosts plus 15% for guests

I personally think there is a balance between nightly rates and occupancy rate. Being fully booked may not always equal max profit/earnings since it also means higher cost/expenses. 

And I would not trust the pricing suggestions from ABB....ever! They "always" tell you to lower your price and don't care (or know) about the cost of hosting.... so long as they get their fee which I believe is 3~5% for hosts and 10~12%ish for guests. So ultimately I feel it really is up to the host to determine their own pricing strategy. 

Linda271
Level 1
Wappingers Falls, NY

I have experienced a significant drop in booking since December and AIRBNB fees have tripled on my listing making my listing no more affordable than area hotels.  The Airbnb fee is 15% on my listing and guests have noticed and are shying away.   Lowering my price is not an option - I am a super host and take pride on my rental and there is a lot of work that goes into this for a little bit of money - any less and it is not worth doing.  Shouldn't it be the host that determines an increase in price not Airbnb?  They never even notified us that they initiated such a dramatic increase in fees.

Carmen621
Level 2
Little Rock, AR

I, too, have experienced a significant drop in bookings due to the enormous fees charged to guests.  Additionally, the occupancy taxes are about the same.  Sorry, I'm not reducing my prices.  I am working too hard to keep my property well maintained.  If it gets booked fine.  If it doesn't, still fine.  I will not lower my prices.  

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

Add me to the list, in addition to airbnb fees, my guests are now sadly paying a city tax AND a state tax, which adds a total of about 16% on top of the price of the unit.  And, I've also seen for the first time in a long time guests giving less than a 5 on value when they gave 5s on everything else.