AirBNB Squatters

Steve59
Level 4
United States

AirBNB Squatters

Anyone else had this problem?  To make a long story boring, I have 2 cottages on Lake Michigan.  Summer ended and I was staying at one with both still listed as available. I thought I might possibly rent one and just stay in the other.  It was a beautiful Saturday so I went for a paddle and met some neighbors floating around.  They plied me with adult beverages and we had a nice visit for maybe an hour. So I paddle back south and a large group of people were having a party on the beach.  They waved at me, then I realized they were on my beach!  So paddled in and asked how they were doing.  They had all my chairs spread out and several were broken. Kids were swimming and moms and dads were eating and drinking.  The men quickly  gathered their gear, and one woman, obviously the ring leader, handed me an adult beverage and tried to lie her way out of the situation. Everything she told me was in my airbnb listings.  I wonder how often this happens when I'm not here??

2 Replies 2
Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

@Steve0 Good question? ((and worrying) maybe time to change the type of security you have with your key system and who else has access to your keys. 

Normally I'm booked solid through the summer, so there is little chance of this happening then.  It seems those nice days in the off-season are ripe for this sort of activity, and Airbnb provides all the info the squatters need!  Maybe the location should be much less specific.  Maybe there should be some ambiguity about the availabilty dates of the lodgings.