Airbnb Cancellation Policies

David1408
Level 1
White Rock, Canada

Airbnb Cancellation Policies

Is anyone else having problems with Airbnb backpeddling on their cancellation agreement? We use the Superstrict 60 policy as our specific marketplace requires that we use such a policy. We're a full service agency and we book homes on behalf of our owners. In order to confirm dates - I need to give the owner a deposit or he simply will not confirm my dates. This is how it works in this region as many owners have been "burned" with a promise to pay... now Airbnb is doing just that... I've paid on behalf of the guest because Airbnb PROMISED me at least a 50% payment. Twice now people have cancelled for their own reasons and complained to Airbnb and Airbnb just waves their "magic wand" and refunds them in full because they whined!! Now I am out of pocket!!! Anyone else??

26 Replies 26

yes - tenuous at best... we take further precautions at check in

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

I am under the SS60, as an individual. I have had a few cases that range from the obviously legit to the questionable (i.e. one the Zika fear; 'someday' they 'may' decide to have a child, they heard there has been 'a' case in the area in the past). Another suspect one was someone opted to have a surgery they been contemplating for years, and decided to have it within 60 days of a vacation, how coincidental. Every time, I have received a long cautious 'testing the waters letter' from Airbnb, and even a touchy feely thank you after it. I played the understanding prince each time, because I happened to welcomed the cancellations and/or can get the spot filled that same day - at a higher price. If that wasn't the case I guess it may bother me to tears. Overall, they do a good job on the subject I think, imagine at their end how tricky it is to make a fair decision and the bs they got to deal with.

Mark26
Level 10
Melbourne Beach, FL

There was a Zika advisory covering an eight square block area in Miami last summer.  The CDC lifted its advisory towards the end of September.  We had some guests cancel and get a full refund in March of this year, citing Fear of Zika.  AirBnB backed them up, even though the advisory area was more than 200 miles away, and had been lifted six months earlier.

The way I looked at it honestly, if they are that scared, best not to have them as guest; in all likelihood, they will not enjoy themselves.

Kay104
Level 1
Berlin, VT

I am new to Airbnb, currently hosting my first guest. When my listing first went up I got a booking which was UNCONFIRMED and I had not even set up payment options. Meanwhile, I had another "hit" (earlier) who I was communicating with. (I was very polite and honest with both parties. This can all be documented on the site.) Naturally, I wanted to honor the first inquiry, who also wanted to book for 3.5 months. The crux of this issue was I couldn't book the 3.5 month stay because of the "problem booking," which I was forced to cancell in order to book the earlier/preferred booking. Now I am being admonished for the cancellation and being told my account is at risk for suspension. How I was able to book the 3.5 month stay was to create 2 diffent bookings around the blocked dates of the cancelled booking. This also cheats me out of 2 nights. So I'm out ~$150 bucks and in danger of suspension, and no way to correct! As I search the website and 'contact' link I understand this blog is my only way to give feedback and possible redemption. I have faith that all will be fine in time as I get more experience and host more--assuming I will have the opportunity. My current guest is very pleased and I hope she will provide an outstanding review, then the pendulum will swing the other direction. Fingers crossed!

Karen313
Level 10
San Clemente, CA

@David1408 Basically the newest terms of service declare anyone, for any reason (guests, I mean) can get out of paying a dime. Even after they have stayed. 

Louise210
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Hello, recently a guest booked my flat and I had to cancel it. She told me that the money was taken from her account and she still do not have it back. She had booked my flat for last weekend ..

Do you know when she is supposed to be refunded?

Thank you,

Louise

@Louise210

I think they say a week, but you should redirect your Guest to ABB they have the money.

David
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

The few times this has happened to me, I send them to >>> Airbnb; like David said, they have the money, which the guest are always surprised, they think the host has it.

Helen341
Level 1
Arosa, Switzerland

my guest wanted to cancel because the party had grown in size which I could not accommodate, and I agreed to the whole refund.  They then contact me upset that Airbnb had kept 400 Euros for cancelling.  It is not a booking.  I cannot contact airbnb to cancel all other bookings until they pay this person back the 400 Euros.  I really do not know what to do now.

@Helen341

To the extent there is an issue, it is between the Guest and AirBnB, nothing to do with you.

David
Kim293
Level 2
Paonia, CO

Yes! Airbnb issued a full refund to some guests who were looking for an out, found three box elder bugs in the house, and left in the  of the first night.  Then they penalized me for cancelling the reservation, and wouldn't unblock my calendar! Whether they were right or wrong,  I think all of their customer service agents have seriously poor thinking skills, they always make promises on the phone that they do not keep!! Too bad Airbnb has grown too fast without having enough customer service acumen to deal with hosts. I takes several days or even up to weeks for the case managers to respond with any definitive action.  The things they say on the phone are completely misguided, and even the case managers h