Airbnb cancelled a reservation without explanation

Chloe51
Level 2
Paris, France

Airbnb cancelled a reservation without explanation

I'm really upset with what happened. During the most overrequested event of the year in Milan (Furniture design, april 2017), I discovered that Airbnb cancelled a 4days-2000USD reservation the day before the check in. I got no explanation, and neither had the guest. I discovered it since I could not find this reservation anymore on my calendar. Guests arrived to my place (they reserved the place 1 month before, so we chatted and organized the stay) but I was unable to host them. I guess there could be a problem about "safety" and "guest not being who she claimed to be" (right now this profile is still suspended in order to verify the identity).... the problem is that they did not give any explanation, and they were not able to verify whatsoever in time not to lose the reservation...

Contact center is just fooling me... they asked me to write a report about that, but they never replied to me. And when I try to contact them through response@airbnb.com (they told me to do so), I just got, 1 month later, a generic apology for not having replied before...

Did it ever happen to you too?

Chloe

PS

Strangely, since that, every time I login I'm asked to verify my identity... (never happened before...)

4 Replies 4
Sora0
Level 7
Singapore

Cancellation happened. We didnot ask for any reason bout the cancellation as it is strict cancel policy. Confirmed guests need to paid the penalty amount when they cancelled and we believe they must have their reason.

S14
Level 9
New York, NY

@Sora0 

This just happened to me too! I have been a SuperHost for many years and have two active listings on Airbnb. Suddenly, as I was about to go to bed at 1am, I got an email from Airbnb saying that they cancelled the reservation which has a check in date of today! No explanation! I am shocked and horrified. I already hired our housekeeper to come get the place spiffed up for the guest. I already sent lock codes to the guest and Airbnb already had sent him our address. I am baffled and upset. As usual, "Support" knows nothing and has no authority. They say it was done by some mysterious other department but that this "other department" does not take any incoming phone calls or emails. Supposedly they will "escalate" this to have someone from Airbnb contact me. Even if (big "if") this was canceled for a valid reason, I feel they should have reached out to me first to communicate with me. I am very upset. Feeling very unhappy with Airbnb right now. I would be very interested to know if you ever got an explanation.

Jenna342
Level 1
Toronto, Canada

Same thing happened to me (guest) twice in the last month.  The first host was able to contact Airbnb and reported to me "If the Airbnb information doesn’t exactly match the city information they have an algorithm which cancels all reservations".  So I rebooked elsewhere and now, one month later, the same thing appears to have happened.  I'm not sure I'm ever going to use Airbnb if this is going to be what happens all the time.  Right now I have no faith in them at all.

Hi Jenna,

I'm a host in Toronto, Canada and this is happening to us as well. Airbnb out of the blue sends us an email and says that we 'aren't following local regulations' but we have a valid short term license number and have confirned it with the City.

They will then cancel all of our reservations without calling us ahead of time and leave our guests confused and not sure what's going on. This isn't on the hosts - it's on Airbnb and they are not doing a great job accepting blame and instead of trying to figure it out they give the cold shoulder.