Airbnb disclosure of Host information to ATO Australian Taxation Office

Airbnb disclosure of Host information to ATO Australian Taxation Office

Hi Everyone,

I received an email from Airbnb that advised me that it had disclosed information to the ATO Australian Taxation Office in response to a Notice sent to Airbnb by that Australian Government Department.

At first I suspected that the email was a scam and that Airbnb would not disclose personal Host information without first informing the Host.

When I made contact with Airbnb by the in APP resolution centre, they confirmed that the email was legitimate and that in fact Airbnb had recently disclosed information about most Australian Hosts to the Taxation Office.

I am wondering if anyone in this community can confirm for me that you have also received that Airbnb email or if you have been made aware by some other method of Airbnb's disclosure of your information to the ATO. 

Many thanks.
19 Replies 19

IMG_20181103_224653.jpgIMG_20181103_233223.jpg

Dennis-And-Gwen0
Level 3
Mornington, Australia

Hi Jade, Airbnb wants to be a good corporate citizen so I think all Australian hosts got this email. You have to declare the income you earn as rental income but you can claim all the expenses associated with running your property.

Hi Dennis & Gwen,

Thank you for replying, I really appreciate it.

Did you receive the email? 

I have asked 6 of my Host friends and none of them received it.

Which is why I have raised this question for the Australian Airbnb community.

I would like to hear from anyone that has also received it.

Sue576
Level 2
Gold Coast, Australia

Hey Jade- we live in Australia and got the email too x

Rosanna51
Level 4
Queensland, Australia

There’s been a lot in the media about Airbnb Jade and I think possible tax evasion in Airbnb was a hot topic also.

I received a similar letter. 

I was ok with it as I keep records of income and expenses regarding my Airbnb listings for tax returns. 

Cheers!

Rosanna

Hi Rosanna, 

Thank you for replying, I appreciate your feedback.

Was the letter you received from Airbnb or was it from the ATO and was it sent to you before they disseminated your information?

I noticed that your reply is similar to that of Dennis and Gwen in that it refers to the implications of taxation.

To clarify, I am not questioning taxation law as much as I am privacy law. I have accountants that take care of taxation matters.

The concern I have relates to the simple principals of due process and whether an organisation is releasing personal information about its clients without first providing the client with a copy of what has actually been requested and under what authority.

We have privacy laws in Australia that apply to government departments as much as they apply to the corporate sector and individuals.

It seems that if personal information about Hosts is being requested, that it would be appropriate to notify the Host before that information is disseminated, rather than email the Host after it has been released.

I am aware that Airbnb terms and conditions refer to the need to release information when necessary, however if a Notice is served upon Airbnb to release such information (which is what Airbnb state occurred in their email), then surely there is an obligation to show that Notice to the Hosts it relates to.

Whether that Notice is simply attached to their email or published on their website, as long as it is made available to the Host for transparency purposes.

I actually requested a copy of the Notice from Airbnb when I questioned the legitimacy of the email they sent. As you can see by their response, they avoided responding to my request for the Notice. They also did not send me a copy of the Notice.

I wonder if anyone whom has received the email from Airbnb has seen the originating request for information that was issued by the ATO?

Jackie148
Level 7
Edens Landing, Australia

Hi jade,

I also received email from a bnb but yes I was surprised that they did not ask my permission to forward on my personal information.

As long as we have declared our income which I have no need to worry but I would be worried if people have not declared. 

Lynette57
Level 10
Gladstone, Australia

I received the same email, As I have already registered my property as a holiday rental with the taxation dept and recorded my tax and payments received there was no drama.. So unless someone is trying to make money without paying tax then there is no issue. Just declare your whole income and the tax takes care of itself.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Jade107

Yeah Jade, we all received or are in the process of receiving that same notice from Airbnb.

I do full profit and loss  every month and declare everything that comes from Airbnb with my other taxable income. The accountant sorts it out, no dramas.

A few of these posts mention whether it is a contavention of Airbnb privacy policy to share information. The laws of the country will always overide any policies that Airbnb may have in place and Airbnb state that in their terms of service. If the ATO require it, Airbnb have no option but to comply!

Cheers......Rob

@Jade0, I get that your question is about how Airbnb used your personal information. Our Australian privacy law allows organisations to use the personal information you provide them with to comply with legal requirements. There's a lot of useful information at the Australian Government Privacy Law site. I can't post the link, so a quick Google will find it for you.

Cheers
Susan
Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

Hi @Jade107, yes, I received it too. Doesn't bother me as I declare everything I earn on Airbnb.

Kath, have you found claims against earnings worth it? I know there are a lot of variables ... thanks

Rhonda21
Level 2
Miranda, Australia

Yes, I got the same email. I rang Air BNB and asked exactly what information they had disclosed to the ATO. They told me name, phone number and email address.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Rhonda21 

Rhonda this has now become an Airbnb obligation and it should be taken seriously.

I do a full profit and loss statement for each month and I am required to furnish that to the ATO and Centrelink in November each year.

The object of this is to sweep up those who are not declaring hosting earnings as part of their taxable income. Airbnb were actually required to disclose significantly more information than CX told you Rhonda!

As you know  Airbnb are required to collect and submit to the ATO, VAT collections for all hostings in Australia. What Airbnb have now been required to do is provide user information for all those VAT collections....and from there the ATO has a contact path to ensure that all hosts are doing the right thing and declaring what they earn! 

Cheers.......Rob