Airbnb is now allowing racism on their platform!?!

Neema7
Level 2
Atlanta, GA

Airbnb is now allowing racism on their platform!?!

I just found out that Airbnb @Airbnb  is allowing racism on their platform. After a guest violated several of our House Rules and I wrote an honest review on her profile, she wrote a PUBLIC review response claiming that I would have only mentioned this because of her race, stating "..because I'm black" in writing in there, which is clearly racist defamation of my name and completely unacceptable (and OF COURSE not true). I've contacted Airbnb and even copy/pasted their own policies as this would go against several of their policies:

1) Airbnb's Review Policy:
#3 "Profanity, name calling, and assumptions about a person’s character or personality".
2) Airbnb's Contect Policy:
"Content that is discriminatory (review our Nondiscrimination Policy for more info).
Content that is illegal or that violates another person’s or entity’s rights, including intellectual property rights and privacy rights.".
3) Airbnb's Nondiscrimination Policy:
"Inclusion – We welcome people of all backgrounds with authentic hospitality and open minds. Joining Airbnb, as a host or guest, means becoming part of a community of inclusion. Bias, prejudice, racism, and hatred have no place on our platform or in our community. "
"Respect – By connecting people from different backgrounds, Airbnb fosters greater understanding and appreciation for the common characteristics shared by all human beings and undermines prejudice rooted in misconception, misinformation, or misunderstanding."

And still.. all I got back from Airbnb several times is that her statement calling us racist would apparently NOT violate the Airbnb policies: "we have determined that we are unable to identify a violation of our review policy". This is insane!!! How can Airbnb stand for this and allow such thing on their website? They block out numbers and websites but do not block out or review/investigate sentences like this? This is insane and unacceptable.

Unfortunately, I don't have a Twitter account because I heard that Airbnb only takes action when mentioning something like this on Twitter. Anyone any idea?

1 Reply 1
Vivian860
Level 5
Richmond, ME

The only thing i can tell you is that airbnb will NOT help hosts out. the end. I will repeat; airbnb DOES NOT HELP HOSTS OUT! people have done the legal thing, called support, filed claims within airbnb.... the best thing to do is do it yourself outside airbnb. what i do is write down guests license plate, make and model of vehicle so that if any damages are done to property, I call my insurance company (Renters owners policy or homeowners policy) file a police report and your insurance will file the claim and collect. This is the best way to get money back. 

airbnb is like facebook, twitter, amazon, etc. ... they protect the wicked not the victims. It sucks but it is the truth. Good Luck!