Airbnb's Removal of Wishlists on Listings

Jack90
Level 6
Queensland, AU

Airbnb's Removal of Wishlists on Listings

Hi All,

Just noticed recently with the new site design update, Airbnb has removed the wishlist counter that used to be on listings. The function to add a listing to your wishlists is still there, but the total number of wishlists is no longer displayed. 

What are your thoughts on this?

I thought it was a nice little feature on top of the 'number of guests' viewed this property in the last week to gauge what my demand and visibility is like. I'm sure for guests its also a bit of extra re-assurance of the credibility of a listing, on top of reviews and the such because it shows somewhat how long a listing has been up for. Curious what everyone else thinks and Airbnb's rationale is for removing this neat little display.

12 Replies 12
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Jack90

Seems to have been replaced with how many people have viewed your property in the past week.

Not sure either were/are of any relevance whatsoever to be honest. HIgher up the rankings and the higher your views I am guessing. Or, located in a popular area, or during a festival. 

I found it interesting but of zero use to be honest.

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

There was a thread in this forum started a few months ago, @Jack90 and @Gerry-And-Rashid0, and constantly dredged up in which a host asked everyone to put his listing in their Wish Lists and he would do the same with their listings. "I will boost your listing" or something like that? Bit of nonsense it was, but maybe this wishlist counter removal is a response to that sort of trickery? 

Oh I see. As far as I know I don't think how many wishlists you have actually really affects your listing ranking at all. I guess some people will try to abuse it. Just thought it was a cool feature to track interest in your listing. 

Lilian20
Level 10
Argelès-sur-Mer, France

Hello @Lawrene0 - nonsense ? trickery ? you seem to have no clue about what an algorithm is. 

Mariann4
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

I just picked up on this @Jack90...

Don't like it. It was nice to have this kind of counter to see if anyone paid interest to my listing. Today "everything" is based on "likes". This was the Airbnb-like. The thumbs up. Don't like that it disappeared...

My opinion.

Mariann 🙂

Hi Mariann,

Yeah agreed, it was a nice way to track how much interest people had in my listing. Bit bummed that they removed it because it kind of reassured me that my listing was still alive when I don't get any enquiries for a while.

Liz-And-Steve0
Level 3
Napier, New Zealand

I am disapointed this has disappeared to - nice to know people were interested in our property.   Sigh.

Nikos14
Level 3
Hersonissos, Greece

I agree this wishlist counter was a really interesting feature.  Hosts can see how many views a listing has, but it was interesting to have an idea of how many of those who viewed a listing went on to add it in their wishlist, it means they want to save it for viewing again later on.  In other words they liked it.  Most of the times I found that an increase in this counter was soon followed by a reservation.  Views alone doesn't really respresent if guests liked a listing.  I have viewed many listings which I didn't like at all, as well as others that are really great but not what I'm looking for or not for my budget.  The ones I save in my wishlist are the ones I will consider booking.  I don't know why they removed it, but I would like to see it back again.

Lilian20
Level 10
Argelès-sur-Mer, France

Hello @Nikos14 me too I think an increase in this counter doesn't hurt the listing's performance at all ! The fact that the number is displayed does not change a thing by itself. It is still a ranking factor. 

About my wishlist : I have added numerous listings to my wishlist even though there is little chance that I ever go there. But I would love to. Also I only added properties I liked and fellow hosts that I get on well with. 

Rachel0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I really miss this feature - it gave me a far more accurate idea of how popular my listing is and I found that if my wishlist "saves" increased sharply then so did the bookings.  However, as a newcomer to this community centre although a long time superhost with almost 200 reviews, I am sceptical as to whether any of the Airbnb "bigwigs" actually read any of these posts and do something about them.  Changes are made to the system with no prior notification to hosts and feedback seems to be largely ignored.  I wonder what can be done to make them sit up and listen!

Quinn-Martin0
Level 2
Palm Springs, CA

I would like to see it back.  Though, it may be that ABB thought it was being used by hosts to "game" their system.  It would be nice to have a running tally of changes made to the app or the online website so that if they just moved it, we might be notified where it went.  IF they removed it, would be nice to know why or how to access it.  My 2 cents...

Donald28
Level 10
Lithia Springs, GA

Id like to see the wishlist featire back too.