Airbnb trying to take future earnings

Airbnb trying to take future earnings

Hi, Airbnb community, I had a serious issue with Airbnb Philippines this week.

I had a Filapino guest who had booked for 1 year. She started complaining from the day she arrived. We did everything to meet her requests. ie hired an additional cleaner a few days after she arrived, to clean while she was there.

After staying for 3 months (she settled down after the first few weeks), she all of a sudden said she wanted to leave the next day (12hs later), I informed her that long term policy meant she has to pay one month cancellation fee (ie so she can stay one month extra or leave, it’s up to her. 

I then get a message from Airbnb, saying they are aware of the situation and will consider refunding her. I said do not do that, she has stayed for 3 months, and the departure is sudden. 

I also noted she is probably working as a hostess in another area of Tokyo, and that’s possible reason for her departure. The reason I suspect this is the previous gust was also Filipino, and she informed me that she was a hostess in Otsuka, she, after a short period working  did the same thing (suddenly exit / demand money) . The new guest was also Filipino, home all day out at night. 

So Airbnb Philippines called me, and in a rude manner, she says the guest does not have to pay the additional month, because there is a modification policy (which is untrue), she then almost immediately modified the booking to 90 days without penalty. 

I was unhappy to miss the month, but after inspecting the room, I said ok, just forget it, as bad experience,

The next day Airbnb Philippines sends another message saying after reviewing documents, she will refund the guest 50% of her money and take it out of my future bookings (and I now have a negative waiting to be paid.

After this I got extremely angry and called many different Airbnb offices. Initially Airbnb US said the issue will be transferred to a different office, but it never was. 

Finally I reached a very kind, helpful, and intelligent Airbnb staff in San Francisco,  Shawntell,

She kingly reviewed the documents sent by the gust and agreed the room was clean upon arrival (according to the guests own photos), and she refunded me the one month cancellation fee the guest  should have paid.

This still leaves me with the 50% of past payment Airbnb Philippines wants to transfer to the guest from my future earning.

They clearly showed bias to her because she is Filipino, and did not even ask me for any documentation or my opinion.

lastly the guest had continuity mad anti Semitic remarks when I can to the place to try and remedy the situation. She said because I am Jewish (which is not common in Japan) I am cheap ect..

a bad person ect.. 

So this exasperated my desire not have my funds diverted to her, it actually outraged me that Liz at Airbnb Philippines was following the same behavior.

Sorry for the long message, what can I do to prevent this girl obtaining my funds, I can’t sleep it’s very stressful.

24 Replies 24
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hello @Progress-Place-Edogawa-M0 ,

I think you should let it go. The situation has escalated into some personal attacks. Invest your energy in new guests and move on. 

I wrote the message below, actually the US team, kindly resolved the difficult  situation, so it actually was well dealt with (after the initially difficulties with the Philippine office), so it actually gives me good faith that Airbnb, can resolve international disagreement fairly, I wrote below about the final resolution,

Hi, I want to thank Shawntell and Evelyn for all their help in decifering this difficult situation and resolving it honestly and fairly. It’s always difficult to know what the actual situation is and they worked hard to find a just solution, so after initial strsss caused by the tenant, I am very satisfied with Airbnb solution,

I wil after Airbnb takes away the negative refund to her. This is pictures she complained about upon arrival. Even though it is not dirty, I hired an additional cleaner two days later, and after he came still complained. It’s not acceptable to give this anti Semitic hostess a 50% refund the an the behaviour or the Philippine  office needs to be exposed.  

C2B8CE75-BA28-41B0-8B71-CE7A180F8CF4.png

4171E98F-5F0D-4ADE-B71C-633FA788857B.png

Is that worthy of a 50% refund, she stayed 3 months, had a friend the whole time (the neighbors complained, and was home all day, out at night?

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

I don't understand. The guest paid for a year, stayed three months, and you want to keep 100% of her one-year payment even though a 50% refund is consistent with your cancellation policy? Just to punish her for her attitude? (And BTW her profession and/or nationality are not relevant.)

No she she paid for 3 months only (which is fine) technically she is suppose to pay an additional month (give one months notice) if she breaks the agreement.

after 3 months, Airbnb Philippine intervened so she did not have to pay the one month notice (which after inspection I said ok) but they refunded her 50% of the 3 months she had already paid , ie they want Yu deduct from future earning.

Hello @Progress-Place-Edogawa-M0 ,

OK, now  understand. But you must discard discriminating or personal attacks, please keep the case  on a business level, otherwise you loose credibility !

"The next day Airbnb Philippines sends another message saying after reviewing documents"

What kind of documents ?

Best regards, Emiel

Sorry, I asked them, and they said they could not show me.. when I called Shawntell, she said there was a video (and the photos I posted), she watched the video and said it looked clean, (again like what I posted) she subsequently said she could not understand why the took the action they did (I know why), and she kindly said she will arrange a refund for the 30 days, one month notince, but she is unble to do anything about the 50% refund, luckily I have no payments next week so I will continue to contact Airbnb.

what do you think, I can’t accpet it based on I had no input, and they (and the guest) have a know bias, I am alone. 

So she stayed for 3 month, paid monthly, then they modified so u don’t get the one month notice and additional rebating her 1/2 of the first 3 month money. So after bills I lose.. the room is very cheap 

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

I see, that makes more sense. I can see why you are upset, but I agree with @Emiel1 that this is a battle you're unlikely to win and perpetuating it is only going to cause more grief. In your place I would try to accept it and work on making future guests happy.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Yes @Lisa723 , wise words, hope @Progress-Place-Edogawa-M0 will take it into consideration.

I missed your, incase you missed the reply, thanks so much for taking an interest it’s very scary situation.

Sorry, I asked them, and they said they could not show me.. when I called Shawntell, she said there was a video (and the photos I posted), she watched the video and said it looked clean, (again like what I posted) she subsequently said she could not understand why the took the action they did (I know why), and she kindly said she will arrange a refund for the 30 days, one month notince, but she is unble to do anything about the 50% refund, luckily I have no payments next week so I will continue to contact Airbnb.

what do you think, I can’t accpet it based on I had no input, and they (and the guest) have a know bias, I am alone. 

I would but she was genuinely, complained about my Jew character, anti Semitism is very strong in south east Asia (not Japan) so no I will go, make it very public, 

The Philippine Airbnb made their decisions in hours, refused to provide me any documentation, and did not seek any information from me, i Chad run a business subject to south East Asian extremists.