Any downside to moving reservations to next year?

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Any downside to moving reservations to next year?

I have gotten a few requests to move reservations to next year. I am trying to think if there is any downside to doing that vs having guests cancel and rebook. For example, these reservations will still fall under the existing EC pandemic policy so these people can block my calendar in high season for next year and even if things are fine by then just decide to cancel. What are your thoughts?

2 Replies 2
Nick1931
Level 2
Scottsdale, AZ

@Inna22  Hello Inna, I would provide the guests the opinions available. Keep the reservation understand the present policy guidelines. With the new EC they will receive their fully money back if they cancel the trip. Provide them the option to rebook your location under a new reservation at a later date of their choice and open your calendar to do so. 

The only downside I cant see if that guests dont rebook. Provide them an incentive on rebooking in a given time frame.

An upside is that you open your current calendar to take new reservations

@Inna22 That's a pretty interesting proposal. My only concern would be that you might be blocking dates that someone else could potentially be wanting to book. But on the other hand, it's not really any different than what our airline did with us this summer, when they cancelled our tickets but then told us that we could book the same dates next year.

I guess that it's really a judgement call. Do you get a good feeling about these particular guests? Do they seem like they genuinely like your listing and are sincerely interested in staying at your place next year? If so, then giving them that reservation might be considered a nice act of good faith on your part, which could potentially lead to a positive review from them down the road.

Would love to hear what you decided in the end.