Avocados

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Avocados

In the topic about@Huma0's Day in the life several of you have mentioned your love of avocados, so as to not detract from that topic Avocados deserve a topic of there own..

What price are avocados in your country?

Are they imported or grown and in season in your country?

What breed of avocados grow in your country?

Do you have an avocado tree in your garden?

How do you best like your avocados?

[@ mention updated]

59 Replies 59
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Letti0, long time we haven't seen you about here in CC, How are you doing these days?

What height are your Avocado Trees?

Have they produced many Avocados?

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand
Kimberly54
Level 10
San Diego, CA

Ahhhh, @Helen427, indeed Avocados deserve their own topic! 

Avocados were created by The Gods--not just God, but all of them.  I have two trees--a Haas and a Reed (the Reed produces fruits that weigh about a pound each).  The only wrong way to consume one is in a mixed veggie/fruit smoothie.  There should be a law against that.

In the markets they are priced according to size and availability.  The large ones will fetch $3 - 4 easily, and the very small ones can be as little as 50 cents. 

They will not ripen on the tree (there is an enzyme the tree provides that prevents this process), and once picked, the clock starts ticking.  The ripening process is rather slow at first, then sort of goes exponential. 

Truly, a bite of heaven. 

Needs a light sprinkle of salt, though.  Definitely.

When I was a child, my mom would sometimes make avocado sandwiches--warm toasted bread,

'salad dressing' (here, that's mayonnaise with sugar... I don't eat that anymore), a little salt, and slices of avocado.  OMIGoodness I had never tasted anything in my young life so delicious!  The creaminess of the fruit, the delicate crunch, the smell (mostly of the bread--avos really don't have much smell at all).

I'm also pretty sure we get credit for eating a 'vegetable' as well because it's green, right?

Best,

Kim

@Kimberly54  The avocado is technically considered a large berry with one seed in it. It's a fruit not a vegetable, but the category is fruit and veggie right?. I have planted some on the property, but have not gotten anything from them yet. My favorite is tuna salad in the center of the avocado half on a bed of lettuce with hard bolied egg slices and toast points on the side. 

@Letti0, omigosh, what a NERD you are! :-))

I knew it was a fruit (totally joking about the vegetable part)... didn't know about the berry classification.  Zucchinis are fruits, too, though I was never convinced of that when I was a child unless it was made into zucchini 'bread' (heap on the sugar and ANYTHING can become a fruit)!

I also have banana trees--which are bi-classified as a grass and a berry. 

Go figure, eh?

Best,

Kim

@Kimberly54  I actually am a nerd lol... I was a computer programmer and consultant for many years ;D

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Letti , Kimberly and others they are officially called Persea Gratissima, Alligator Pears, Ahuacate and to throw a spanner in the works, Midshipman's butter!

One may assume the later as they were a simple food source for navigators and those who travelled by sailing vessels - that was all people world wide prior to the 1920's- 1960's as there simply weren't aeroplanes across the world until then..

Kim my dear friend, in your home to keep up with your snake, coyote and animal theme, Avocados just have to be called Alligator Pears.... They have skin like the Alligator!!

Oh what fun...

I wonder who decided to call them Alligator Pears.. That must have been a fun conversation to have partaken in back in earlier world history days..We must try source that linkage and find there names and details... There must be referencing to in tucked in someone's family ancestors journals / diaries and official records..

Sweet @Helen427, here you have it!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avocado

And our nerdy friend @Letti0 was right about the berry-thing.  What I did neither see nor imagine was the linguistic link between the shape of the fruit and (wow... let's see if this passes the Word Police) hehehe...testicle. 

I'm harvesting bananas (grass/berry classification) next week!   Kinda super small crop right now.  Do not have bananas figured out yet.

Kim

Hey @Kim54 are you still in the land of the living?
Or been swallowed up by one of those cheeky snakes that visit your property?
Missing your contributions here in CC.
Hope you and your family, including animals are keeping well

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Australia has plenty, but too cold where I am to grow. But they don't have to come from very far so I do eat them, on toast with a little soy sauce for saltiness is great. I don't cook very often, so an avocado is a perfect ready meal in its own wrapping. Nature's butter!

Sandra, midshipman's butter... See my reply above.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

In Mexico they are also called Ahuacate, and the town of Ahuacatlan is named after them as they are / were plentiful there in the early 1900's.

Those of you living in Mexico who are reading this, including Sarah, may like to give us an update if that's still the situation.

Info sourced from Papers Past NZ which has world wide history as it evolved, except where there was no available our scarce materials to use & communicate with, back to 1839 and beyond...

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

California, Samoa, New Zealand, Tahiti amongst other places apparently used to have many Avocado trees, which are a member of the flowering plant family Lauraceae.

I understand they were planted in earlier days in and around Tauranga in NZ on the Government Horticultural farms

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Sorry ladies, @Helen427@Letti0 @Kimberly54@Sandra126 & @Lawrene0

Avocadoes can cost anything from $2-$3.00 each here in Darwin. So I am very selfish.

❤️🥑🥑🥑🥑🥑🥑🥑🥑🥑🥑🥑🥑🥑🥑🥑🥑🥑🥑🥑❤️😋

I don’t share my avocados with guests.... only family. 😍

🍌🍐🍎🍊I provide enough little luxury items and a basic fruit a bowl. 🍊🍎🍐🍌

So if guests want them, they have to buy them.... LOL. 💰💰💵⚖️