Bad guest experience with good reviews - hosts beware!

Bad guest experience with good reviews - hosts beware!

Hello all!  We don't host that often, consider ourselves truly occasional hosts - a few bookings per year, not even. We do however, travel a lot, so expereienced both hosting and travelling using Airbnb.

Recently we had a few weeks when our place was empty and we decided to host a couple of guests during that timeframe. One of the guests was Yilun chen, a 19 y. o. student from China.  At first, we felt weary, but after asking a few questions, evaluating guest's questions and answers, taking into account the guest had a few five-star reviewes from hosts saying he left the place tidy and that they had an overall good experience with the guest, I have decided to approve the guest's request to book my place. 

The communication was good, but the overall condition the guest left my place in, in addition  damaging bedding (comforter), left a very bad feeling. I have raised to the guest, didn;t get a good response - the guest told me that the basic cleaning fee should cover the mess he and his guest left, telling me the comforter was damaged when they got there, however did tell me that they have notced the damage being in contact with me almost every day asking about other unrelated things and check out procedure. When I have found out that in addition to the deep cleaning that had to b done, the comforter was damaged as well - I immediately contacted the guest and raised it through Airbnb resolution center. it's been almost 3 weeks and still no word from Airbnb (the status of the request for damage fee - replacement of the conforter), I have left multiple messages with Airbnb - no luck. I did have a damage deposit and claiming the value of the item against that, I have not included 'deep' cleaning that had to be done after this guest left a mess in my home. 

In your experence, how long does it usually take for Airbnb to review the issue and rectify the situation? I am deeply concerned if this is how it usually is with Aibnb not caring to respond to hosts when the damage issue has been escalated to them, what would happen if the guest would do more damage?! I consider myself lucky not having to deal with more damage and just having to do a lot more cleaning and replacing a lowercost item myself, however if I only host occasionally and experienced this kind of behaviour from the guest and no support from Airbnb, I most likely won't host anyone in that age category inclusig other parameters ever again, nevermind the stellar reviews from other hosts 😞

It would be helpful if Airbnb would have such a feature to allow hosts to leave evidence - based reviews by uploading actual photos taken to show the condition of the place the guest have left it in, for other hosts to make a decidion whether to approve a request from the guest or not, based on the previous evidence-based reviewes, this would be very helpful. What do you hosts think?  Your ideas are welcome 🙂

condom on the bed!condom on the bed!general messgeneral messgeneral messgeneral messdamaged comforterdamaged comfortergeneral messgeneral messdamaged comforterdamaged comforterdamaged comforterdamaged comforterstained bedstained beddamaged comforterdamaged comforterdamaged comforterdamaged comforterguest's responseguest's responseYulin Chen.png

1 Reply 1
Mandrake-And-Karen0
Level 10
Silver Spring, MD

Yes, I have had this happen, too! A guest left 24 bags of leaking trash n the apartment, a hair clogged drain, filthy tub, etc.  I've had guests leave bloodied sheets and stained furniture.  I agree that there should be a photo upload  that would be required by host or guest when the complaint is tangible such as guest damages or lack of amenities listed for rental by host.

Don't hold your breath, though.  Airbnb sides with guests.  Guests have  many housing options with Airbnb being just one.  Airbnb needs their money.  It forgets that hosts have options on whether it will host online and multiple options on which company if they do. 

Karen