Bed size matters: please list it on host site

Madir0
Level 2
San Diego, CA

Bed size matters: please list it on host site

Me and my sweatheart recently did some traveling using Air BnB.

What turned out to be very difficult and cumbersome was to figure out what size beds hosts were offering.

We both are very tall 6'2", 6'4". We love our California king.

So squeezing ourselves into a full or twin size bed is not our idea of comfort.

Yet in most descriptions the size of bed is rarely spelled out.

And even the pictures are deceiving.

Air BnB: Please create a symbol for bed size that host can click

That way it is clear and easy for guests to know what is offered.

Thank you.

7 Replies 7
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

But the feature is there already so it must be that hosts are not presenting their listings correctly.  On the other hand,the feature is not perfect as bed sizes/description vary throughout the world and a "queen" does not correspond to any European bed size.  

I have done the best I can with the given parameters + extra description in things to note + bed size in cm on the capture description.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/510821

If in doubt, perhaps contact the host before you commit to book.

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Same here, my bed size doesn't properly fit any of the descriptions given on the site, so I have given full measurements in my listing description It's known that most Americans are used to larger beds (larger apartment sizes?), while this trend has been catching on more slowly in Europe. Usually, the difficulty is the smaller room sizes in classic dwellings here.

Agree with @Marit-Anne0 it's always good to talk with the host first. That's the difference to hotels too, where you pay up to quite a bit more for booking but have more chance of hopefully getting the standard you're used to. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Madir0.....My God, you would love our cottage bed! I had it especially made....It is based around a queen size electric bed! It has 4 electric motors in it, two for the massage function and the other two for head or foot raise! I also had another 20 cm built into it so that 7ft6in basketballer would not touch the bottom of this bed.

Madir, I went all out on comfort where the bed is concerned because, as far as I am concerned, the bed is the hero of the accommodation.....everything else revolves around it and all my reviews will say that it was worth the expense

You can never spend too much on a bed!

Cheers.....Rob

Kathryn131
Level 2
Sedona, AZ

I agree with you Robin - the bed makes a world of difference...I'm just wondering if the bang for the buck is evident enough for me to upgrade my queen to king?  not seeing any chatter much on the kings

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Which reminds me, we have brand new beds and matresses (queen) and these last guests (4) were: 6.5ft - 6.9ft, two couples, the women were 6.5ft! Ex-college basketball players, they made the beds look like intended for toddlers. Are there 'Giant' matresses?

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Fred13....I am not particularly tall being just 6 Ft if I make an effort and stand up straight Fred but, throughout our travels we always seemed to come across this person who's height simply dwarfed me.

And invariably in conversation with them their number one concern when travelling was to sleep in a bed that actually extended below their knees!

That is why we had our electric bed specially made with linens to match. From the bed heat to the bed foot measures exactly 8ft 4 in and I will catagorically state, there is not an NBL player who's feet will touch the bottom of this bed, no matter how much he may stretch out. This bed has been known to accommodate two adult Asians end to end and they still did not meet the extremities of the bed!!

IMG20180112123037.jpg

I felt there was a niche market there which would be a magnet for very tall people, but the problem then revolves around everything else....the kitchen bench is too low....the bathroom mirror is not high enough, the shower rose barely wets above their navel........So, I think I shot myself in the foot!

Nearly all my reviews do make a comment about the bed though, and I think it has turned out to be a good investment. It has paid for itself well and truly.

A king size bed is a useless extravagance! It takes up a mass of room width wise that nobody really needs, let alone that bump in the middle but, the extra length bed does get me more bookings.....but if I change everything else to suit, I will compromise my lovely Asian market, so, I am caught between a rock and a hard place!!

Cheers......Rob

I think that is awesome, having such long beds. What I did is put the coffee table in each cabana  at the foot of the beds with cushions, it work in a pinch. But imagine such giants, in a land of small people (Mayans), reminded me of Gulliver's Travels.