Between a rock and a hard place...

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

Between a rock and a hard place...

Guests not reading rules or hoping I won't call them on it. Last week a group of 6 adults, 5 children and 1 infant. My rules state infants cost after 8 people and should be added as children not infants. So do I risk a bad review by asking for the extra $60? I decided to let it go. This morning 6 adults, 3 children and 2 infants, so this one is $120 I'm losing. I'll have 2 pack n plays with sheets and mattress covers, extra towels, 2 highchairs, etc. to clean and they get to stay free. I am so sick of this infants 0-2 not being charged. 

7 Replies 7
Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

@Letti0 Given the fact that revenge reviews are often allowed to stand if you don't get a very experienced Customer Service Rep, I would say that it would be too risky to ask for the money. This is the sort of 'Catch 22' / 'Double Bind' we hosts have been put in by Airbnb. Symptom of an unhealthy organizational system. Hoping to see this changed one day - Me, and thousands of other hard-working hosts.

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Rebecca181 You are so right. I am pretty sure this one read the rules and just ignored it based on her question asked. I'm not going to risk a bad review over it, but can't people just be honest.

How AirBnB lists this on the dashboard: 9 guests · 3 nights · Jul 19 - Jul 22

It's not 9 guests it's 11 guests!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

This will only happen if hosts let guests like this get away with it.

Why aren't you reinforcing your charges? And raising a request for the extra children and only let them check in, once they accept the amendment.

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Helen3 We only stated renting it out in March I need good reviews. I only have 8 - 5* reviews on AirBnb and 9 - 5* on HA I can't risk pissing someone off at this point and getting a bad review. If it was a direct book through my venue, I would charge it. 

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Letti0 a decision to let it go I understand, but if it were me, the bad behavior would certainly be reflected in their review. Less stars for House Rules, less stars for communication, Text that said: guest booked for 9 but brought 11. And I for sure wouln't be providing amenities for unpaid for guests.

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

Hi @Letti0 ,

You've made the right decisions.

Unfortenately You have so make such decisions under the umbrella of airbnb.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Letti0 "My rules state infants cost after 8 people and should be added as children not infants."

Perhaps reconsider this rule, it may lead to confusion. Best to keep it simple - price is for 'X' amount, extra guests pay 'X' amount.

I have no experience with 'infants', is that what they call anyone below 2 years old? Aren't infants  suppose to be 'free'? How could they then be considered 'children' and be charged, just because the 'party' is now greater than 8? You can always skip the whole scene by saying 'Not suitable for children (or whatever they are called) below 2 years old, right?