Between the sheets

Cathy172
Level 10
Dennis, MA

Between the sheets

I have read somewhere in this forum that in Europe it is customary for beds to have a fitted bottom sheet topped with a comforter with a duvet cover which is laundered between guests.  Here on ol' Cape Cod I make my beds with a fitted bottom sheet, top sheet and coverlet, with blankets in the closets. In the winter and shoulder seasons I have a heavier comforter folded at the foot of the bed. I am finding with frustrating frequency that my guest don't bother to get "between the sheets", opting instead to sleep on top of the sheets- sometimes on top of the coverlet with the heavier comforter over. (Soon I'll be stowing the comforters for the high season, which may help somewhat.) What's up with that?? I am tempted to create a universal sign with stick figures pulling back the sheets and posting it by the beds... Any advice/observations?

3 Replies 3
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

hello @Cathy172 ,

The advantage of the European way is that it is clear how to be used. The guest lays on the fitted sheet and the duvet+cover is covering. The way you describe, with 2 sheets, is more the old-fashioned way it was done in Europe. But people from Europe should be used to it and know they have to sleep between the sheets. So i assume your "problem" is related to non-European guests ? I remembered on this community some large threads on "to make the bed" and the problems arising which you describe. Maybe have a look there also... 

Hi @Emiel1! It is American guests I have experienced this with, which I why I am scratching my head. I use crisp white sheets, nothing unusual about them.  Mostly I'm wondering if this is something other hosts are experiencing. (A friend shrugged and said, "Millenials!" suggesting it's the new way...) I just hate seeing my coverlets getting beat up...

@Cathy172

I'm a Korean that lived quite a bit in the states and have also travelled a lot..... the different ways beds are made in different countries are many times NOT as obvious as people would like to think. 

If you personally greet guests then a quick explanation by showing them between which sheets they should sleep in could be an easy fix 🙂