Blurb about reviews in the house book

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Blurb about reviews in the house book

I am thinking of including some language about reviews in the house book. I remember someone even put an article in theirs. I would like to make it simple but to the point. Something like:

A WORD ABOUT REVIEWS

Airbnb assigns a lot of value to reviews. If I get anything less than five stars from a guest, I am considered a bad host with main consequence of being removed from search (I am grossly simplifying this but I think this is something everyone will understand). I hope I have earned a five star review and if I haven’t, please give me an opportunity to remedy the situation during your stay. I am always available through the app or by phone.

57 Replies 57
Alice595
Level 10
Concord, CA

@Inna22  It is a good idea.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Inna22  I definitely mention how the review system works to my guests, but as I host in my home, which I know you don't, I do that verbally. One thing I say is that Airbnb leads guests to think they are giving a Good review by rating 4*s, then turns around and punishes hosts for not getting 5*s. I think it helps when guests can understand that we're not just prodding them for a 5* review because we're full of ourselves and want to see 5* ratings across the board on our listings, but rather because Airbnb's rating system is extremely punitive to hosts.  I say that in the real world, there should be nothing wrong with a 4* review, but that simply isn't how Airbnb applies the ratings to hosts.

So maybe you could word it to somehow get that across. It wouldn't hurt to screenshot and print out the Superhost Opportunities page, showing guests the %s you are held to, and circling the 4.8 average requirement.

@Sarah977 I like the idea of the page screenshot. Then I’m not obviously just making it up to get better reviews

@Inna22  Oh dear god no. You wouldn't be the first host to grovel for 5 stars, but it's an awful idea.

If I encountered this sort of language as a guest, I'd actually feel inclined to lower my ratings - if only as a counterweight to the thumb that you'd seem to be putting on the scale. It would cause me to question all the positive reviews that you've genuinely earned, and wonder if you'd used the same hyperbole and condescension to influence the ratings of previous guests.  This would have the ultimate effect of downgrading your hospitality in my eyes.

And the worst thing is that it's completely unnecessary, as you're getting great reviews and doing perfectly well without badgering your guests about how to review you. And no, getting a 4-star review is not going to get you removed from Search.

@Anonymous both extremely valid points. I am hoping those who will doubt my reviews after seeing this will learn for themselves that I am a good host. But I might be handing someone in a bad mood a tool to hurt me (as it happened to @Niel3 )

I am going to be really busy at work  and with family for the next few months (nothing bad, just busy) so I will not be able to greet guests in person or supervise my cleaning crew as closely as I have been so I am worried about the ratings going down for silly things I could just take care of or explain where they are. I find that some guests don't want to bother me (as they claim) but then just leave lower reviews. Most have no idea about the significance of what they did. I also don't want to cover the house in sticky notes or have a house book bigger than War and peace that no one will read anyway. 

@Inna22 , when I am away and will not see the guests at all, I make sure that they know they can reach me at any point by messaging, phone, text, my husband's number (if my phone has to be off), whatever works for that particular stay. I make sure they know it is no bother at all, and that I am happy to answer any question.

So far, I have not seen a difference in the reviews of those I meet myself and those I do not.

I do find it easier on me to meet them, so this is my preference, but I think if you continue to communicate well, being busy won't be a problem. I understand your concern. I worried the first few times.

I'm absolutely with @Anonymous about not begging for five stars. When it comes up in conversation, as @Sarah977 finds, then of course, but otherwise you have to be very careful, I think. 

@Lawrene0  To me, there's a huge difference between begging for a 5*review and simply explaining to guests the disconnect between how Airbnb leads guests to believe that a 4* review is good (some guests may not even be trying to tank your ratings by giving 3*s, as that's presented to them as average) and how they then apply the ratings to hosts. Honestly, all my guests have thanked me for letting them know. After all, there are some hosts who don't want to accept a guest back if they don't leave a 5* rating. So if a guest found nothing wrong with their stay or their host and all was accurately described, it would be good for the guest, as well, to give a 5 star review. They might get declined for a repeat booking and have no idea why.

It doesn't come up in conversation- I just work it into long conversations I'm having with guests about all kinds of things over a cup of coffee or a bottle of wine 🙂

But it would be so much more appropriate if Airbnb actually explained the review process to guests when they are prompted to leave the review or made what they tell guests and what they tell hosts actually jive ( NOT To guests-4* review=Good, To hosts-"You have one thing to work on")

I send a “We Strive for 5” document. I try to set realistic expectations. This was precipitated by times I had 3 or less in specific areas.  For instance, I had a person ding me once in location. Everything about the building was described - so they chose where it was, and asked about surrounding area amenities. If I tell you it’s a 15 minute drive daytime but 25 around dinner to a certain place, you knew it up front. I’ve also refunded money while the guest was there if it wa a bad circumstance in an attempt to not get a horrendous review (and yes, 4 would be fine). Finally, I ask that they work with me to resolve while they are there. I’ve had a couple of times where the person who booked and whom I communicated with was not the person who leaves the review, so no chance to make everyone feel heard, and then a testy review. 

I concur entirely. One of the qualities that makes a great host is the ability to anticipate a guest’s needs. Even the request to “work it out” before leaving a review is a turn-off. And educating a guest on how Airbnb treats hosts is an imposition.  I have never mentioned reviews to a guest and I wouldn’t. Perhaps this seems stringent, but as a guest, I also find a four star review to be perfectly fine. I don’t see a lot of five stars and if I did, I would suspect it was from this back-room kind of thing. Then I wouldn’t have any gauge. 

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

I do the same thing as Sarah and keep it educational. I do not ask for a five star review - I don't even ask that they review me at all. I do also have this in writing, however, in case I don't get to meet the guests during their stay. I'll do this until Airbnb stops setting hosts up to fail by intentionally leading guests to believe that a four star review is "good" - When we all know that it is not. And don't even get me started on this newish 'Meets Expectations' thing (sigh).

Niel3
Level 10
Llanberis, United Kingdom

I have this in my guest book - not a specific request for a 5 star review but an explanation that an average of 4.6 stars can result in a host being kicked off the site and so on.

Most guests (especially first timers) who have mentioned it have said they had no idea that a non 5 star rating could have such a detrimental effect ......except for one guest (who was also a Superhost) who deliberately gave me a 4 star review and told me in the comments I was abusing the rating system.

@Niel3  that's exactly what I am worried about- getting fewer stars for spite. Although people that do that would have probably found another fault and left four stars anyway. So you mind sharing the language you use?

Niel3
Level 10
Llanberis, United Kingdom

@Inna22I printed off the template @Kath9  posted one these messageboards in this thread, 8th post down:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Explaining-5-star-ratings-to-guests/td-p/882631

Jim472
Level 10
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

@Inna22 @Niel3 I copied @Kath9 template also, had it professionally printed and framed and hung it on the wall. 

Just a copy of the text I used.Just a copy of the text I used.