Brian Chesky Making 'Big Announcement' February 22 on Facebook 'Live'...

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

Brian Chesky Making 'Big Announcement' February 22 on Facebook 'Live'...

Did a search and don't see a post on this, so....What do you all think Brian Chesky will be announcing on the 22nd of February (10 am Pacific Standard Time here in the United States) on Facebook? I guess the community got a letter from him Thursday but I did not see it for some reason. You can access the letter in full via the link I include here. Perhaps this will give us all some clues as to what the announcement 2/22 will be: 'In a cryptic letter, Airbnb's CEO announces a new board member — and that it's now an 'infinite company'':  http://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/airbnb-ceo-brian-chesky-writes-vague-mystical-letter-...

chesky-airbnb.pngin 10 years'?

41 Replies 41
Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

@Marie405 I think it will be about 'Select', but also about the new (favored) status of property managers on the platform. Which may cause traditional hosts some issues, depending on where there rental is. 

@Rebecca181 the style of traditional hosting is what made ABB what it is now today. They may "up" their market by introducing the Select, which is another good option, but I believe the travellers will still gear towards us. It's hard to beat being a House Guest and receiving all the personal touch kind of service compared to all-businessy serviced-apartment type.

@Marie405 I feel the same way. So if this is indeed the case, and Chesky, et al, still values us, as they say, I hope to see less reports here of hosts who feel extraordinarily frustrated when they try to rightfully file claims on guest 'deposits' or via the Host Protection Program. And that they toss out the 'Group Payment' option that ties up our listings for up to 96 hours. And ensure that somehow our listing does not get buried under hundreds of property-managed listings, as one super-host has already experienced, i.e., she was always at the top of the search rankings until a new property manager began posting every cabin in his inventory, landing her on page 8 of the searches, and pretty much decimating her Airbnb business.

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Rebecca181 Maybe if those "selected" managers are given another place, there would still be some for traditional hosts. Or in other words, we will be witnessing a digital-age diaspora of the original idea of community...

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

@Marzena4 That is actually my hope: That there will be a new, dedicated website / platform just for property managers, and that traditional hosts continue on the original site. But Airbnb's focus seems to be on cultivating property managers lately - So perhaps it is we, not them, who will be moved / transitioned to a 'new' platform / site.

Jude7
Level 10
Rhinebeck, NY

I, too, received news of this event, and like any active host am interested in whatever is being announced. But what offends me - is that a big announcement and invitation is sent out - with no starting time listed. 

I followed the link in my email to Facebook, where it says 1 PM - but no time zone! As an international company, how can they omit time zone? 

I confacted Airbnb through Twitter (always a dependable resource for me) and was told 1 PM - Pacific. Yet, on this thread @Rebecca181 states it is 10 Pacific, making it 1 PM. eastern. 

As I would like to arrrange my busy schedule to be available to watch and listen - does anyone have the difinitive word regarding starting time? Also - are Facebook meetings available for replay after a live event?

Jude

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

@Jude7 - I was told definitely 10 am PST by Facebook Airbnb staff. However, you were told 1 pm PST.  My guess is it is 1 pm EST, as 10 am EST would make it 7 am PST, and that does not work well for the Public Relations / Press Announcement machines (it is pretty standard to do press announcements 1 pm EST). If you find out the time from yet another supposedly reliable Airbnb source, please let us know here. My monies on 10 am PST / 1 pm EST, however. Also, Facebook 'live' events usually can be replayed, unless they are taken down by an Admin or similar. So I would imagine we can watch it whenever we want, after it has gone 'live'. ut I could be wrong on all of this! I was surprised that no time zone reference was given, myself, given Airbnb's emphasis on global community. How could we possibly know what '10 am' means?

And since the Facebook posts says 1 PM with no time zone, and Airbnb is based in the west coast, I assumed it was 1 PM Pacific, 4 PM eastern!

I work with clients in a variety of time zones and am always mindful of indicating what time zone I mean. Very unprofessional for a global organization not to be mindful of giving us the same courtesy. 

The mystery continues! 🙂

Jude

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Rebecca181@Jude7@Marzena4@Marie405@Sarah977@Emiel1@Alexandra316@Rene-and-Zac0,

It is great to hear your excitement and intrigue around Brian’s keynote on the Feb 22nd.

Just to confirm the event will start at 10am PST (San Francisco time) and will be available to watch live on Facebook. If you did not receive the email regarding this, here is the link to watch it live.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts afterwards.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

@Lizzie You are so on top of your job - The information you provided is much appreciated. Thank you so much! To anyone else reading this: I did see today that I had to edit my listing and check off whether I am an 'Owner' or a property manager type (i.e., am I 'in the hospitality business' or something like that) so I think that one of my guesses was correct: Brian will announce on 2/22/18 that there is now a 'shared' platform with property managers (versus splitting property managers or traditional hosts into different platforms). My guess is that prospective guests will choose between 'Owner' and 'Professionally Managed' (or similar), just like VRBO and Homeaway now has guests do.

The irony is, I am a traditional host and I would argue that my place is better and more 'professionally' run than most supposedly 'professionally managed' places. The intriguing part to me here in the U.S. is how this will play out should an Airbnb host be audited: Specifically, U.S. hosts making over a certain amount or renting for more than 14 days a year must do a Schedule E (either as a 'business' or not-for-profit,) or a Schedule C (commercial / business, for profit); what box they check here will be of interest to the IRS if the host were to ever be audited. I also wonder how this might affect people in the U.S., and elsewhere, if they bought their property via a 'Residential Mortgage' but check off the 'hospitality business' box. Hopefully most would know not to do that. I know in the UK some residential mortgages were pulled / called back by the lender because of their Airbnb. Not sure if that is still going on. 

@Rebecca181 It seems like in the US the only way to avoid the taxes is to created a Foundation! No wonder so many big brands out there are now "charity foundations" 🙂

@Oomesh-Kumarsingh0  I'm glad you revisit this post @Rebecca181

In regards to infinite brands, growth, sustainability, 21st century vision, which brand is getting so much rap goodnews/bad news, its crazyyyyyyyyyy, obsesion. after all what goes up can come down, what goes down can come back up......what a rollercoaster to BELONG....!

Wouldn't it be nice to stay at a place  where your 'paid trusted stay' offer supply of coffee, wouldn't it be nice to book a place and not have someone cancel you out, wouldn't it be nice to accommodate guests who doesn't scam for a refund.......! 

That perfect world......! doesn't exist

@Syl11 That's right for any growth there is always a down fall that follows! A perfect world would be boring don't you think so?

@Syl11 Also known as 'The Principle of the Tao of Opposites' - Expansion, Contraction, Expansion, Contraction - On this plane of reality, even the 'infinite' has it's limits. And no entity is immune. Including Airbnb.

@Rebecca181 That's right! Everything has a limit.