Brilliant response from Airbnb customer support team following a dispute with a difficult guest!

Jo74
Level 5
Hove, United Kingdom

Brilliant response from Airbnb customer support team following a dispute with a difficult guest!

I just want to post on here about my very positive experience I had with the Airbnb customer support team to reassure any host out there that has had or is involved in a dispute with a difficult guest.

My issue in brief, was a group of guests, 4 adults, 2 children checking in to rent my entire home for 2 nights.

Following the first nights stay I received a disgruntled message from the lead guest complaining that he had no idea I had a dog that lived in the property ( even though on check in his wife met my dog!)  and they were all having to leave due to a very bad pet allergy and they were all taking antihistamines.

Then asked to refund a full nights stay.

My response was that I was very sorry to hear that, but it is VERY CLEARLY stated on my Airbnb page that I am pet friendly and that I have a dog that lives with me in the house, so I would not be able to offer a refund as infact, if you did have such a bad pet allergy then would you not have thought to mention this in our VITAL communication before I accepeted the booking?

He was not happy with this and then proceeded to ask for more money off to make up for them having to leave. After a few messages more, I made it clear that this would not be happening as I could of infact rented my home out to people that did not have pet allerigies! He eventually accpeted the case.

Following this I had my prompt to write a review for this guest, and in view of the fact he had been very unclear (or not even mentioining! )the fact he had a pet allergy and was then pestering me for a refund I gave him a very honest negative review and the big thumbs down. 

This did not sit well with said guest and he sent me threatening messages to take down my review and then re activated his request for a refund and opening a dispute. Messages starting at 7am and finishing at 8pm, totally stressing me out.

I tried to expalin that Airbnb was all about vital COMMUNICATION, trust and honesty and that perhaps I was doing him a favour as this situation would not occur again if future hosts know that you have a very bad pet allergy!

Anyway, moving on from the days of stress following this, I have had a very welcome response from the Airbnb customer support team saying that they have looked into my case and that I would not be liable for refunding this guest and that the case is now CLOSED!

Brilliant. So all of you hosts out there that are having issues with difficult guests, have faith that Airbnb is on your side!

Also, I would like to thank the many other hosts on here, world wide, that came forward to support me and give me brilliant and helpful advice!

Moving onto the next HAPPY Airbnb experience ( which I have had many of!) Apart from this bad apple! 

Jo X

41 Replies 41
Jo74
Level 5
Hove, United Kingdom

Yes thank you! I did think that it was clear enough. I will be adding more photos of my lovely dog who's home it is, in the hope never to come accross this issue again. I have to say what brilliant support i've had on this forum, there's a great bunch of hosts out there!

Tiger2
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Good to read.

I've just had a guest scheduled to check out at 11am as stated in my details.

I had another guest arriving that afternoon so it was vital that my cleaner got in to clean the apartment and change the sheets and towels.

The guest left at 11.30am which I was OK about but then I started getting a stream of agressive text messages repeating the same mantra regarding the check out time! I responded honestly and impersonally stating the check out time on my Airbnb site but the texts kept coming and then got accusive. I then asked the guest to not keep contacting me!

Some folk are great and gracious. Some are **bleep** right rude!

Really glad to know that Airbnb have a good team there to appeal to.

Jo74
Level 5
Hove, United Kingdom

@Tiger2

Hope you reflected that in your review of your experience with these guests and I hope that all has been resolved now. Your check out time was clear so no dispute on that necessary! 

Helena82
Level 1
United Kingdom

Hi Jo 

I am desperately trying to contact Airbnb directly regarding two guests who set fire to my guest room causing damage as you can imagine. I have gone down the route of trying to resolve the issue with the guest but they are still refusing to pay. I have evidence of the damage done. I am concerned that they are continuing their trip around Britain and are staying with other Airbnb hosts. I would hate someone elso to have the same experience as I have had. I am new to Airbnb and cannot find a way of contacting them directly. Please could you advise?? Thanks. Helena

Jo74
Level 5
Hove, United Kingdom

Blimey! @Helena82 I'm so sorry to hear this! Have you opened up a dispute with these guests? Thats the very first thing I would do.

Then you must leave them a very true and honest review warning other hosts not to allow these poeple into their homes!

Regarding compensation for damge that is not something I know anything about. 

Make a new post on here, explaining your issue and you will get advice from other hosts that have been in a similar situation.

You should be able to contact airbnb via the help centre on their main page, send them an urgent email, open up a dispute with these guests and hopefully you will get a resolution. Good luck!

The fastest way to get someone who actually knows what to do is to post on abb Facebook.  Quick and knowledgable.

Rick27
Level 2
Seattle, WA

This is why it is essential to make sure you use the air bnb communication platform, even if the guest uses something different. congrats

Yanling0
Level 2
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

I have just had guests leave after booking 2 nights renting a room sharing with myself, a single women. They booked and paid for 2 nights to check in at 12:00 on the day of arrival and was told they would arrive at 1pm.  At 6.30am on that morning, I recieved a phone call saying that one of them had arrived downstairs. I went to let them in but what else could I do though I expected them at 1pm. This couple were the worst people that I have had staying. They were constantly having sex in the shared bathroom making myself feel very uncomfortable. They left the room in a very dirty condition staining the sheets. Ok I thought this is just one of the bad experiences that I have heard about.

They left at 2pm on the day of departure though check out was 12:00 and it was a relief that they had gone. About an hour later I received an email from airbnb saying that these guests demanded a refund as the house had dirty sheets. I replied to them saying that of course not and that they should pay me for the stained sheets but I will not demand it.

This morning I awoke to receive an email from Airbnb that they have refunded the guests and the reservation has been cancelled and I will not receive payment.

This is disgusting behaviour from Airbnb to not even contact me before refunding the payment and no way to contact them.

All previous reviews I have had have been very positive and there no point to host on Airbnb if you will not be paid.

John482
Level 1
Pittsburgh, PA

How do you get in touch with the AirB&B customer support team?  

Colleen48
Level 1
Portland, OR

How do I get in touch with an actual Airbnb representative? I need to talk with someone.

Edwina-and-Steve0
Level 2
Tamala Park, Australia

Just got help from Gemma in tech support. Amazing. Being the dinosaur I am it is very stressful when things don't work our. So thankful for your help