Brilliant response from Airbnb customer support team following a dispute with a difficult guest!

Jo74
Level 5
Hove, United Kingdom

Brilliant response from Airbnb customer support team following a dispute with a difficult guest!

I just want to post on here about my very positive experience I had with the Airbnb customer support team to reassure any host out there that has had or is involved in a dispute with a difficult guest.

My issue in brief, was a group of guests, 4 adults, 2 children checking in to rent my entire home for 2 nights.

Following the first nights stay I received a disgruntled message from the lead guest complaining that he had no idea I had a dog that lived in the property ( even though on check in his wife met my dog!)  and they were all having to leave due to a very bad pet allergy and they were all taking antihistamines.

Then asked to refund a full nights stay.

My response was that I was very sorry to hear that, but it is VERY CLEARLY stated on my Airbnb page that I am pet friendly and that I have a dog that lives with me in the house, so I would not be able to offer a refund as infact, if you did have such a bad pet allergy then would you not have thought to mention this in our VITAL communication before I accepeted the booking?

He was not happy with this and then proceeded to ask for more money off to make up for them having to leave. After a few messages more, I made it clear that this would not be happening as I could of infact rented my home out to people that did not have pet allerigies! He eventually accpeted the case.

Following this I had my prompt to write a review for this guest, and in view of the fact he had been very unclear (or not even mentioining! )the fact he had a pet allergy and was then pestering me for a refund I gave him a very honest negative review and the big thumbs down. 

This did not sit well with said guest and he sent me threatening messages to take down my review and then re activated his request for a refund and opening a dispute. Messages starting at 7am and finishing at 8pm, totally stressing me out.

I tried to expalin that Airbnb was all about vital COMMUNICATION, trust and honesty and that perhaps I was doing him a favour as this situation would not occur again if future hosts know that you have a very bad pet allergy!

Anyway, moving on from the days of stress following this, I have had a very welcome response from the Airbnb customer support team saying that they have looked into my case and that I would not be liable for refunding this guest and that the case is now CLOSED!

Brilliant. So all of you hosts out there that are having issues with difficult guests, have faith that Airbnb is on your side!

Also, I would like to thank the many other hosts on here, world wide, that came forward to support me and give me brilliant and helpful advice!

Moving onto the next HAPPY Airbnb experience ( which I have had many of!) Apart from this bad apple! 

Jo X

41 Replies 41
Kirstie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

HI @Jo74

Thanks for giving us the update!! That's great news you managed to get it sorted with Airbnb's and other hosts' help and it's really nice to see you sharing this with the community!

Happy Hosting!

Kirstie

Jo74
Level 5
Hove, United Kingdom

Thanks Kirstie! Yes onwards and upwards!

Great support from you too, thank you X

I'm happy to hear that you got help.

I'm having a similar problem but not sure who to contact and how- anyone have any suggestions? I also get the feelign that this guest regularly stays with hosts and complains so they can request a refund.  She has asked for a check which i am not comfortable with!

Jo74
Level 5
Hove, United Kingdom

Hi @Maggie60

Check on what? And what wasn't the guest happy with? From my understanding it's only when the guest opens up a dispute that the Airbnb response team get involved.

Difficult guests are a nightmare and I fully undestand how you're feeling! 

Help is at hand on this community forum for hosts. So if you describe your issue in detail and post, then you will get advice from other hosts that will have had similiar issues.

Best regards, 

Jo 

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

@Jo74, think she means a cheque. As in refund.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi Jo

I am so glad you found support from the hosts here and BNB to have worked for you.

To be honest from BNB's point of view it's not a difficult case at all. You were clear on your listing. The guest either didn't read what you had written or made up an allergy to get money refunded.

You had everything in writing.

I couldn't see how there could have been any other outcome than BNB siding with you.

Although I am glad you have had a positive experience there are thousands of other hosts out there who have encountered huge problems with BNB not covering the cost of damages to their property (despite the much vaunted host guarantee) and not helping to get unpleasant guests to move on.

Hosts also get caught out by BNB's instant book, cancellation policies and other listing conditions because despite feedback from hosts BNB refuses to make things clearer for hosts on it's website and in its communications.

Jo74
Level 5
Hove, United Kingdom

@Helen3 Point taken. And thank you for flagging those issues up. Up until now, thankfully, i've only had great experiences with Airbnb guests and support, so am lucky in that respect.

I don't do instant book and hopefully will not encounter guests that won't leave or cause damages to my property! But you never know I guess. At the moment i'm just glad that this issue has been sorted out. Good to know that I should have been covered anyway as it was all clear from my side, but you never know with these things! 

The Airbnb support team has served me well too!  Every time I've called them, the representatives have been courteous, knowledgable, efficient and effective. When I have a need, I check the website first and search for an answer. I also sometimes call a friend of mine who is a SuperHost in my local area and ask her advice. Great to have a local mentor! If I can't resolve an issue on my own, then I call Airbnb support. The Community Center has been a gold mine of information too! Kudos to everyone who contributes to this host forum!

I agree with the importance of presenting important information clearly on the listing, good photos, communicating ahead of time through the Airbnb platform, and giving guests a brief orientation to the place when they arrive, along with having information in an orientation manual at the site. Keeping communications with guests on the Airbnb message platform helps the support team do their job if there is ever a dispute that needs resolution.

Hi Jim and Marcia,

My name is Mario and I am listing my beach condo on Airbnb. In setting up my listing, I am having a lot of questions, and I need to talk directly to someone at Airbnb to get help with my many questions. I see where you said you called them, but I can't find a phone #.  Would you forward me there phone #. Thanks in advance for your help.

Mario @

[email address removed]

Jo74
Level 5
Hove, United Kingdom

Hi there, @Mario139

My dispute was handled with via email thorugh the Airbnb customer support team. If you go to the help centre on the Airbnb site you should be able to get in contact via that route...

How does a host call Airbnb? There is no number listed on this website.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

@Jo74

Glad to hear it worked out.

David
Jo74
Level 5
Hove, United Kingdom

@David126 You were brilliant support and made things a lot clearer for me. Thanks so much!