Business License?

Jenell0
Level 2
Seattle, WA

Business License?

I have a few airbnb unit listings now... Considering getting a business license (State of Washington) Any other hosts have insight as to whether this is necessary, good idea/bad idea, etc??

Thank you!!

6 Replies 6
Esther285
Level 2
Hampton, VA

In my city in Virginia, this is a requirement.  I do not know if Washington State has the same. We pay monthly taxes and lodging fees to the city and receive tax documents at the end of the year.  Since my yearly AirBnb income is minor (comparatively speaking to most larger hotel type establishments) my liscense cost $50 a year. With regards to having multiple listings, I would be curious if you would be able to deduct expenses for the properties and depreciate at tax time.  I only have one room I let, so really haven't worried about that side of the equation but for someone in your situation, this could be a benefit.

Nadira3
Level 2
New York, United States

I'm new to Airbnb, and also curious about it. Living in NYC

Laura2787
Level 2
Kirkland, WA

I am curious Jenell, if you have applied yet? What kind of business structure did you choose. I am in Kirkland, WA and in the process of applying. Yet I need help to figure out what kind of business structure I need to apply for? The City is not helping:(

Sunjida0
Level 1
Leicester, United Kingdom

I am new as a host in the UK. Can anyone enlighten me about what kind of license I need to have for listing my rented property?

Sammi7
Level 2
Jersey City, NJ

City to city, State to stare aren’t the same. I’m in a process to register a LLC through an attorney, I’m sure they will get all the licenses done. So I do recommend to find an attorney and a CPA to get these these things straighten up for you. Attorney fees is around $1000-$2000. Especially you have multiple properties, it is essential and once your registered a business you can deduct most expenses to your tax refund. One big reason to establish a company is to avoid any person liability lost if someone injure at your place and file lawsuit against to you. It’s worth the money is you already have multiple listing. 

Xiao Kuang
Rebecca824
Level 2
Yakima, WA

@Jenell0 46318I am also in the starting phase of getting a license. I am unclear which Washington state license to apply for because for transient accommodation it states you need three or more rentals. I have only two bedrooms I rent out but I must have a tax id number soon or I will not be allowed to use paypal. I have emailed the health department because it seems I need to go thru them. I have found that Seattle also has its own requirements on top of what the state has. So you will need to comply with city and state. I live in Yakima county not the city.  The city was $250 for an airbnb license the County wanted to charge me $900 for a bed and breakfast license. I asked what the penalty was if I ran my airbnb without a license they said there was none unless a neighbor complained. I asked what if that happened and they said I would have to shut down until I got a licence. We make so much money that pay pal has now come back and said I can no longer use them without a licence number. Good luck and keep me posted on your process.