Cancellation - Extenuating Circumstances

Linda153
Level 2
Faro District, Portugal

Cancellation - Extenuating Circumstances

Can everyone out there run on this conversation who has experienced cancellations where AIRBNb have refunded the guest in full due to

Extenuating Circumstances Policy.

It is so strange that within two weeks I have received two cancellations both stating that there was a death in the family.

AIRBNB have contacted me by stating that they might refund in full although I have selected a strict policy and the entry is in 2 days time.

The person I discussed this with at Airbnb has stated that it is only fair that they refund on extenuating circumstances provided the guests provide them with a death certificate or obligatory.  This is really unfair to the hosts, really two days prior to entry.....  and further more can anyone falsify a death certificate.

My question is how does AIRBNB proove that the documents submitted are true documentation, does AIRBNB really investigate?

There have been other blogs about this and it seems that this occurs frequently so my understanding is that there is absolutely no check system and anyone can submit a certificate etc. 

No other site offers this, I will definitely be accepting rentals from other sites firsty as my first option.

Can we get a response from all hosts on this matter, I would like to see how many cancellations have been refunded due to this type of situation. It would be in everyones interest too.

Hope to hear from you all

Kind Regards

Linda 

43 Replies 43
Gail-and-Beth0
Level 5
San Diego, CA

We've lost large sums twice ($2,400-$2,500 each), due to extenuating circumstances, in just the past three months.  To add to the challenge, we just lost another $2,400 today, because a guest that checked in yesterday had complained about cleaning and 'bugs'.  They also complained about a demolition taking place in the neighborhood that we confirmed would be done today, latest Monday -- and we would have done something to compensate them for any temporary inconvenience.  We'd met guests when they arrived, and stopped in again later last night, and they complemented the unit and were very happy.  Some time afterward, possibly about midnight, they called AIRBNB with the complaint. When we went over there this morning, no bugs could be found, with the guest present.  There was some dust, but guest and fiance had moved a lot of personal belongings in for this 45 night stay, which is part of their relocation.  Boxes, bags, luggage was stacked in the unit, and could have introduced dust and a few bugs.  Regardless, we immediately offered full re-cleaning and even carpet shampooing (just to please) but they had other ideas and claimed there was a health issue ('bugs') and said they "just were not comfortable."  AIRBNB went right ahead and cancelled with 100% refund -- A legal tenancy in the state of California, as it was > than 30 days -- without collecting our report, not to mention allowing us to rectify, which would be very easy to do.  The guests just did not want to stay there, although they had complemented the unit when they arrived and again later last night, when we dropped off new pillows, a new toaster and new shower curtain for them.  We'd spent 45 minutes there chatting with them!  All this over a beautiful, modern penthouse condo with great ratings, go figure.  What 'bugs' us is that AIRBNB didn't care to collect our inspection report or perspective, it did not matter that we were already scheduling cleaning to rectify (after many hours cleaning before guests' arrival).  Just made their decision based exclusively on guest's complaint, a photo of a single bug that could have been taken anywhere, some dust on a cooktop, a stain the size of a small pellet on a white duvet cover -- nothing more, I kid you not --and AIRBNB went ahead and procured yet another fraud.  

Amanda299
Level 2
Taunton, United Kingdom

I too was amazed to discover how Airbnb operates their Extenuating Circumstances policy.  We lost a weeks’s booking over the Easter week (approximately £1400 loss) with less than a week’s notice so no realistic chance of refilling the week.  I don’t think our guests were expecting a 100% refund even though they cancelled for health reasons and were good enough to contact me directly as soon as they knew one of their party had been hospitalised, however we weren’t even given the opportunity to negotiate a reasonable refund.  We had a Strict Cancellation Policy in place but I would have been prepared to offer some refund to our guests since they cancelled in unfortunate circumstances and I realise that illness can strike at anytime.  I feel rather perplexed that there isn’t some sort of insurance policy enforced for guests (could be built into the service charge?).  We will be thinking hard about whether to use Airbnb next year to let out our home.

I totally agree Amanda - I have just had this same thing happen, the guest contacted me direct to say she needed to cancel (had broken her kneecap) and I told her she should cancel via Airbnb and she would receive a refund up to 50% of the amount she'd paid, she was happy with that and it was more than she expected (I have a Super-Strict 30-day cancellation policy precisely so that I don't get hit with situations like this, as my business in the French Alps is very seasonal). But then I got this smarmy message from "Dominik" at Airbnb Support Centre telling me that Airbnb was considering refunding her in full due to extenuating circumstances. I protested, and got another message back 12 hrs later basically being even more smarmy, and saying that it was too late - Airbnb had made the decision, it was already "in the system" and she was refunded in full. No consultaion with me (the host) at all, in spote of knowing that I have a 30-day super-strict cancellation policy (for which I have to pay 5% host fees instead of 3%! Something Airbnb don't tell you either!) For a 2-week booking in August which I will now not be able to fill. 

I am livid about this situation and feel very let down and dismissed by Airbnb support team. I am now investigating other methods of taking more dependable bookings with companies that don't position themselves as insurance agents. 

Julie1077
Level 2
Iznate, Spain

I have just had a cancellation under extuating circumstances and I have a Strict policy in place... so I will not be getting any money from this booking which starts today and was cancelled two days ago... they could have travel insurance and be claiming this from them.... advice please......

Amanda299
Level 2
Taunton, United Kingdom

As hosts, it appears that we are totally powerless against Airbnb’s Extenuating Circumstances Policy.  It’s a deeply unpleasant situation to be in as a host, and of course guests should have some sort of insurance policy in place to cover loss of revenue by hosts.  100% refunds to cancelling guests is totally unreasonable but guests are unlikely to take out any insurance if they know they can get this.   I’m sorry to read on this thread that Julie and Rachel have also experienced this unfairness recently.

Kim356
Level 2
Miami, FL

I have had this happen all the time I have 24 rentals and I have had special circumstances way too many times one was due to the guest missing a flight I just had one today that was a "death" I agree there are no checks on this these days you can falsify anything and these guests are checking in soon and had an 11 day rental.  

I ONLY now do rentals on airbnb non prime time early on if not I ONLY do last min on airbnb due to the many many issues I have had with speical circumstances and someone in India or the phillipeans is the one who decides it is a team of 10 they told me bascially we are screwed anytime it is special circumstances since if they say they are sick the Hippa laws mean they cannot even call the doctor to verify all they have to do is type up a letter that states they cannot travel look up a doctor in the area and that is it they are cancelled and we get no payment this set me off for the last time thus I ONLY accept reservations on airbnb last min or NON prime time.  It is sad to say

Haley31
Level 1
Middleleaze, United Kingdom

Just wow! When you feel there is faith in humanity......

i can tell you from someone who has just cancelled a reservation two weeks before travel, how outraged I am this thread exists.

my dad died suddenly 5 days ago, it was completely unexpected.

thankfully the host has been incredibly understanding. However the last thing on a family members mind is putting the host out! Someone has just lost a family member.

to forge a death certificate would really need to go some lengths, and for what? With arrangement of collecting the cause of death, registering the death, organising a funeral and the grief family are going through, you should have more compassion!

im not saying people don't lie about why they may be cancelling a reservation, however there are genuine cases, and I'm sure airbnb will know what is genuine and what isn't.

if you don't like the terms and conditions used on the site regarding cancellations 

, maybe you shouldn't be using the site!

I’m glad I read this because I will now be hosting on  VRBO and home away. Currently I am listed only on airbnb

given the billions Airbnb generates- it should be on them to pay for extenuating cicumstances, or half. We have no such income. That way they WILL do the research and refund only legitimate cases. Otherwise, they can tell a host they received documents even if they don’t exist or seem shady

Leplubo0
Level 8
Los Angeles, CA

I'm shocked to see the number of hosts here not getting the point. Not surprised to see Airbnb bullying us if this is the regular Joe-Host's knowledge and judgement of running a business....

Guys... open your eyes, this is not about being nice or feeling empathy for someone who has a death in their family or any other extenuating circumstances. No one is insensitive to that and to the fact there should be some protection for travelers when those extreme things happen. That's NOT the point.

The point is: IT SHOULD NOT BE TO THE DETRIMENT OF THE HOST.

The host has done nothing wrong to be the victim, if some strangers had a problem. Airbnb claims to offer "insurance" to the host. Where is that Fxxx insurance then? Why is this company with a valuation of over $100Billion getting ready to go IPO taking small business owners, that are the hosts who sometimes run these tiny businesses even with losses or very small profits compared to Airbnb?
Airbnb is bullying the hosts, and exploiting the naive feelings but they deserve being taken to small claim courts each time until they learn to be fair.

And the best proof of them not being fair is: What if the host cancels for "Extenuating Circumstances"? Why don't they ask the guest to understand the poor host's loss and pay the host in that case? Who compensates the host's loss of income when there is plumbing failure and flooding the day we plan to host a guest? Host's insurance did you say? Ahan then where is the guest's travel insurance? Why doesn't airbnb include "Extenuating Circumstances" under their insurance to cover the hosts?
Hosts, don't let Airbnb bully you. Take them to the court and get your money back. Once their lawyers lose a few deals, they'll rectify the policy.

BTW none of these issues with VRBO, or HOMEAWAY or any other home sharing site. 

Airbnb now stands for Air Bully and Bribe.

Sergiu12
Level 1
Bucharest, Romania

Linda, you are a bad example of human

Tim840
Level 2
British Columbia, Canada

I had a guest cancel at 9 am on the day of arrival (check in at 4 pm).  They were given a full refund and I received no compensation and a very poor explanation from AIR.  The worst part of this situation was that the guest had already been given access codes to the rental but since they allegedly were not checking in were not responsible for the accommodation.  Anyone could have used the access info to enter, use, wreck the place, no accountability.  I had to drop everything I was doing, get on a ferry and secure my property but not until the next day because that is how long it takes me to get there.  Guest should be able to purchase cancellation coverage from AIR  and hosts should be compensated fully.  My 2 cents Tim1408

Harold75
Level 10
Montreal, Canada

What about Court? 

I had one person cancel.  They were to serve as a Court jury member.  

Rasmus16
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

This is a loop hole designed by airbnb for guests to circumvent your cancellation policy. 

No guests gets denied. No host gets a recourse.

This is happening over and over for me and there is nothing I can do about it. 

Eivind6
Level 2
Oslo, Norway

This is exactly why people (guests) should have travel insurance. Hosts shouldn’t need to function as travel insurance for people who don’t have travel insurance. And AirBnB shouldn’t be allowed to give refunds on behalf of hosts, unless they do it with their own money.