Change Reservation after check-in

Uschi1
Level 1
Portland, ME

Change Reservation after check-in

I've had guests check in last night, for a two night stay. The checked in and went out to dinner. Later that night they send me an official airbnb "change booking" request, saying they wanted to leave after one night. I declined the change - they had booked for two nights several weeks ago, I couldn't possible find a guest for the second night at such short notice and I'm upset they didn't even bother to talk to me about it. They just said they had a change in their next reservation (different city) and left this morning.

Now they sent me another email, requesting that I approve their reservation change, so they can get a refund - I don't feel they are intitled to that. Suggestions/opinions?

Uschi

16 Replies 16
Mike77
Level 10
Bend, OR

Make the guest work it out with AirBnB, that is what you pay... PAY AirBnB to do.

Mike
AirBnB Treehouse for Rent
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/7292887

"Coming soon to a bookstore near you: The Quotable Host by Mike" -- @Sandra0
"Guests neither scare nor intrigue me--and I'm ALL about the money!" -- @C-C0

==============================
Here are your AirBnB phone numbers.
==============================
Argentina: +54 11 53 52 78 88
Australia: +61 2 8520 3333
Austria / Österreich: +43 72 08 83 800
Brazil / Brasil: +55 21 3958-5800
Canada: +1-855-424-7262 / 1-855-4-AIRBNB (toll-free)
Chile: +56 229380777
China / Zhongguo - 中國 / 中国: +86 10 5904 5310 or 400 890 0309 (shared-cost)
Denmark / Danmark: +45 89 88 20 00
France: +33 1 84 88 40 00
Germany / Deutschland: +49 30 30 80 83 80
Greece / ελλάδα: +30 211 1989888
Hong Kong / Xianggang - 香港: +852 5808 8888
Ireland: +353 1 697 1831
Israel / Yisrael: +972 3 939 9977
Italy / Italia: +39 06 99366533
Japan / Nippon - 日本: +81 3 4580 0999 or +81 800 100 1008 (toll-free)
Mexico / Méjico: +52 55 41 70 43 33
Netherlands / Nederland: +31 20 52 22 333
New Zealand / Aotearoa: +64 4 4880 888
Norway / Norge: +47 21 61 16 88
Peru: +51 1 7089777
Poland / Polska: +48 22 30 72 000
Portugal: +351 30 880 3888
Puerto Rico: +1 787 919-0880
Russia / Rossiya - Россия: +7 4954658090 or 88003017104 (toll-free)
South Korea / Hanguk - 한국: +82 2 6022 2499 or +82 808 220 230 (toll-free)
Spain / España: +34 91 123 45 67
Sweden / Sverige: +46 844 68 12 34
Switzerland / Schweiz / Suisse: +41 43 50 84 900
United Kingdom: +44 203 318 1111
United States (USA) / Estados Unidos de América (EEUU): +1-415-800-5959 (local San Francisco number) or +1-855-424-7262 / 1-855-4-AIRBNB (toll-free)

wow where did you find these numbers....have made a note of the Australian number.  Thanks 🙂

Ed-and-Hugh0
Level 10
Miami, FL

@Uschi1 I honor reservation changes and stick to the cancellation policy agreed to by both parties when the reservation was made. It just complicates things if you contractually agree to a flexible cancellation policy, then decide not to honor your policy later.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I always thought of reservation change as for something well out in the future, this is a cancellation.

David
Nancy49
Level 2
Villas, NJ

I too just had the same experience.  Despite having it mentioned in my description and mentioning in emails that there was no A/C (FOUR) 4 TIMES...they decided to check out after a few hours stating it was too hot.  Message was ...."too hot, we got a hotel, we locked the door".  It was a 2 night booking.  Well, i didnt know if they were going to come back the next day (maybe they liked the area and just rented hotel to sleep, or rented hotel for one night, or whatever).  Anyway, after their hotel vaca was over, he contacts me asking for $ back.  He didn't notify BNB, therefore the place remained blocked and it was not on my end to do it.  I have 3 days now to make a decision.  I believe BNB told him what I did that he sh/have followed procedures.  But now he is claiming b/c so hot it was uninhabitable for NJ laws?  Really?  Many BNBs where I klive don't offer it.  I know folks who don't have A/C.  It is not a law that one has to have or offer.  I could understand if he was expecting it but it was told to him 4 times and there has been a heatwave here.  I had check-ins before and after him and have them right now.  Some reviews do state that it was hot but  fully declared that they were told.  Also there were 4 fans in there.  I have 3 days to get back to him and its unclear if I MUST.  I would rather not even discuss or give partial as it was not an extenuating circumstance personally.  Please a reminder...I was UNABLE to unblock the date b/c he didn't go thru the protocol so I am out the 2nd night although he is asking for both nights.  I may have to call BNB to ask questions but i really believe they are on my side right now.  I am intending to return 0 monies.  Even if he were a bit more courteous/understanding I MAY HAVE returned something but now b/c of the NJ law thing I am planning on 0.

USCHI  My opinion is not to return any $.  I agree with you and there wasn't even a heat issue.  Heres the deal when dealing w/hotels they can open the room and have a car pull up and rent it out.  But BNB blocks the room so no possible future guest knows its available.  It looks booked

Nancy, you can not, not have AC when you create the listing Airbnb ask you if you have the essentials. Airbnb could remove your listing for that!!
It dosnt matter if they read it the description or not.

@Joe60 Your somewhat jumbled comment is a bit hard to decipher, but it seems as if you're saying people can't have a listing that doesn't offer A/C. That's not at all correct.  Yes, if someone checks off the A/C box in the amenities section when they don't actually have A/C, that would be bad. But if the host doesn't check that box, no issue. And, in the case of the original posting, the host makes that fact abundantly clear in their descriptions, then it's the guest's problem for not paying attention.

I do not have AirCon and none of the listing around me do. I have windows that open.

Air Con is not an essential.

David

The A/C box is NOT checked in the amenities.  Thats not his issue.  He admits he was informed.  He just wasn't expecting it to be that hot.  Now he is emailing me stating that not even a working fan was in there?  There are always 3 fans and sometimes 4.  They are in all the reviews, and pics show the window (double fan) and ceiling.  All past guests can attest to that.  I mean...to not even offer/have a fan in 2016?

The A/C box is NOT checked.  Never was as it isn't air conditioned.  Many BNBs here are not. 

Nancy, so sorry that you are having to deal with some sour apples. Clearly, THEY must do all the work, not you! to change things around, etc....

for the moderate cancellation policy you have in place, in Airbnb rules it says : If the guest arrives and decides to leave early, 50% of the accommodation fees for the nights not spent 24 hours after the cancellation occurs are refunded.

So had  they actually booked for a night/nights 24 h AFTER they cancelled? Doesn't sound like it from your report that they even cancelled in the first place, so  I would not even bother to give it any more energy or thought: let them work it out withAirbnb, you just sit tight... 🙂

Good luck!

Joe60
Level 1
Atlanta, GA

Lol you're too nice. I don't even bother with this back and forth. Just one professional message basically saying you can go ahead and cancel the reservation, Airbnb will send you any refund you're entitled to
Mick-And-Lisa0
Level 2
Port Douglas, Australia

We too have had this happen on one ocassion and inspite of all previous guests being very happy with the accomdation provided you can't please everyone.  We happily refunded the guest who cut their stay short by forwarding them a cheque less the fees deducted by Airbnb.  And I have to say that one night we had our home to ourelves was bliss 🙂

Uschi1
Level 1
Portland, ME

Hi everybody and thanks for adding to the conversation. I've been in touch with Airbnb help desk yesterday and was told the guest was not due back a refund. Except the guest is now bombarding me with emails, quoting my "flexible" cancellation policy. The cancellation policy is "one day before arrival" but I'm not a lawyer and I can't really understand if the guest is right and I should refund the second night or not.Can anybody interpret the cancellation policy for me in plain English? Guest told me he had also contacted airbnb for help but didn't tell me what the answer was.

Right now I've sent an email to the guest, saying that I have forwarded his emails to the airbnb help person and will do whatever they tell me is the right thing to do - I don't mind refunding the money if the guest is entitled to that but I resent the bullying emails.

Uschi