Charge guest for broken lock?

Sean14
Level 5
Northampton, United Kingdom

Charge guest for broken lock?

Hi folks

Yesterday a guest broken a key off in a lock when moving in. I suspect he didn't read the checkin instructions which tells you to lift the handle up before turning the key.

His stay only coms to £220 but the cost for repairing the lock comes to £100. Should I charge him for it?

Thanks.

5 Replies 5
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

When something is tricky to use and gets broken, I tend to blame myself, @Sean14, and just put it down to the cost of doing business. Moving forward is there anything you can do to remind the guest of this handle-up thing? Is it possible to put a note on the door? On the handle itself? Is it possible to attach a laminated card to the keychain? 

Sean14
Level 5

@Lawrene0 Thanks for your input. A laminated card is a great idea, thank you!

Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

An expensive lock 😞 do they do quickset locks in the uk - entire assembly is $10-15. Also easy to rekey.

If they admit they broke it and will pay go for it. Otherwise the 1* review may hurt you financially...

Sean14
Level 5

The extra $ was for my guy to do an emergency call out and drive to the store etc then copy keys the next day...labor, gas, key cutting etc, adds up

I agree about the admittance and review etc. Cheers @Pete28

Melissa1511
Level 2
Smith River, CA

This just happened to me today I bought the lock 4 days ago I realised that the key was broken so I requested $25 then I looked and found it was stuck in the door in a had to call someone out quickly and I paid a $100 I can't find how to request more money in nobody from the support is getting back with me and I am not sure what to do