Cleanliness complaint

Cleanliness complaint

Had a guest cancel citing cleaniness factors. Their English was not good at all, and they stated that the reason being was there was hair on bed and bins not changed. I personally inspected the place after towels and sheets were changed by cleaner. There was nothing other than an empty toilet roll left in bin and the guest put their own rubbish in the kitchen bin during the short time they were in the apartment. I went over after he had left and saw that there was indeed 1 strand of hair left on bottom of bed which appeared to belong to cleaner (she is the only blonde who had accessed property).  I noted that the bed had been used/unmade and that, as mentioned before, guest had used bin. They have cancelled the booking themselves when I offered to give them 1 night free, and they left immediately.

This was a two night booking and I have the moderate cancelation policy meaning they should not get a refund, but because they have contacted Air BnB directly and said the house is unclean, the money has been held until they provide evidence. I really can't understand how they can cancel for literally 1 strand of hair at the bottom of a cover sheet on the bed. Everything else was in perfect condition and my prices are some of the lowest in this area for type of accomodation to reflect that this is not a luxury listing, instead more medium/budget. I have responded back to customer service rep who contacted me to confirm they are holding money until photos of "dirtiness"are provided. Has anyone else had the same and what was the outcome?

2 Replies 2
Gemma16
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

I'm having the same issue. Is there any way of getting certain scores changed?

I always request pointers from people who have marked me lower than I expect and some of the reasons are nothing to do with me or my efforts.

I have received a few lower cleanliness scores recently (I have a professional cleaner so was surprised). When I asked the last 2 why the low scores I was informed:

1) There was shampoo around the shampoo bottle in the shower - this was to be expected when they use bottles in the shower.

2) They brushed their hair in the room and as a result there was hair on the carpet. Again I'm not sure how I could have prevented this.

I'm not sure how I can resolve this as some people just seem to be harsh critics and forget this is a working home they are staying in.

Aoi0
Level 6
Tokyo, Japan

Hi, Everyone

I am very lucky because I have a very good cleaning lady to help me in Tokyo.

Everytime when the guest check in, we will go around each area and check the bed sheets and all the necessarey items that they need together to make sure they are satisfied.

My suggestion is when the guests check in, you could spend 5 minutes to go around the room, bathroom TOGETHER to make sure they do not complain about your place.

If you just leave the key to the guests and do the self check in, the same problem might occur again.

Good luck!