Communication check out / check in

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

Communication check out / check in

For those of you with self-check-in stays with no shared space, what percentage of your guests send you a quick email letting you know that they have checked in and then again when they have checked out?  Do you expect it? Require it?

10 Replies 10
Hilary79
Level 8
Spokane, WA

I've been hosting a SFR for over a year now.   I'd say less than 10% let me know when they've arrived or when they leave.   I have exterior cameras on the property so I'm able to check arrival/departure/number of guests, etc.   I do not ask guest to notify me therefore I don't expect it.

Gregory87
Level 10
Minneapolis, MN

Greetings @Pete69 & @Hilary79 :

Been a host for about less than 18 months and guests almost never provide notification of their arrival.  Instead, use of the lock code by the guest normally indicates s/he has arrived and a short message from the host confirming they have entered the rental and encouraging any contact with the host should there be any needed help or other necessary information for a comfortable start to their stay is fine.

While all guests are asked to notify the host of their departure, very few do so.  Instead, watching the use of the key codes (or lack thereof) around 11 am [the check-out time] is the normal indicator of their exit.  After that time, all bets are off and the code is disabled.  The cleaner has permission to enter and start work at 11:15 or later.  

Love when guests do take the extra step to follow directions.  They get extra praise in the review.

How do you know they have used the lockbox code?

The lock system is a wireless setup from Schlage [some examples:  https://www.schlage.com/en/home/products/products-smart-locks.html].  I can enter/disable codes remotely as well as monitor entry and exit by guests.  It is handy if guests forget the code or are locked out.  Also, I have completely separate options for cleaners and co-hosts 

Wow! High tech stuff! I had read about these locks but didn't realize all that they can do. Is there a website that tracks dates and times the lock was used? Or does it just send you a text message?

The only thing about those locks (with all of the tech inside there) that I don't like is that they are more prone to failure. See some of the Home Depot reviews about these locks. With a plain old fashion dead bolt it's all mechanical. Nothing is really gonna do wrong. And they're cheap -- $10 plus another $5 for some duplicate keys. I have a rotation of dead bolts that I use.  For example if a guest forgets to leave keys behind then I automatically switch locks for the next guest.

There is an app which comes with the lock (you might need to buy a router too) and it is used to oversee the operation of the device.  I can enter approximately 30 different codes (each with its own user name such as Ralph - code #1234) and review who has used a code on which date(s) and the various times at which it was used.   You're looking at about $150-200 outlay, but it is worth it!

I too was worried about tech failures, but really haven't had any issues.  There is a key back-up available should the Internet fail and early warning dying battery alerts.  Definitely there is a cost to invest, but it is mimimal.  Besides, it appears that you live on-site similar to me, so there is usually someone nearby in case of catastrophic failure (hasn't happened).

Also, no keys for guests to lose.  You can change or delete a code at a moment's notice whether you are physically at the rental or not.  Most hosts just use some version of the guest's phone number (e.g. last 4 digits), so it is easy to remember.

Lisa1831
Level 5
New York, NY

@Pete69 

From a guest perspective I think it is best to let your guest know to confirm check in and check out.

Really be clear about everything you expect.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Pete69, I do not require it or expect it but it always puts my mind at ease. Later on in the evening I send a "Hope you are settling in, let me know if you need anything" message, and that is usually when I hear from people. I would say a large majority will message me at some point on their arrival day. Much less tell me when they checkout. Probably 5% of guests I never hear from at all.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Pete69 my instructions specify that they should communicate at arrival and at departure. Many do, many don't. I have cameras so I'm aware and follow up if they don't

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

OK then. Seems like it's typical for guests not to let you know they checked in / out. I was considering giving 4 stars instead of 5 stars for "communication" but I'm not gonna bother. People have stuff to do when on vacation.