Damaged Linen

Damaged Linen

A recent guest couple left certain stains on the bed linen, which I have been unable to wash off.. the linen is destroyed.. Should I go to the guest directly and complain and seek payment for replacement..? or does Airbnb cover that lss directly?

Thanks..

5 Replies 5
Maria-Lurdes0
Level 10
Union City, NJ

Hi Elizabeth, it doesn't appear that you charge a deposit, so there isn't any option for you to charge for damages except requesting payment through a resolution request, and the guest would have to agree to pay the charges.

I have a number of listings and I've dealt with every kind of stain imaginable.  If it's biological it should come out if it's treated correctly.  If it's something like hair dye, it might  be a bit tougher.  Several posts have been written here about stains, and I think @Deborah even created a handy chart that you should be able to search the Community for.     Personally, I consider stained linens and towels a cost of doing business and unless it was a result of a guest directly breaking a stated house rule, I personally wouldn't pursue payment. That's me, and you of course have to do what works for your own business.   But the time/energy it takes to go through the process might not be worth it if you can easily replace a set of sheets.  Only you can decide!

Sheets are not cheap anymore!

David-and-Fiona0
Level 10
Panglao, Philippines

I agree with Maria. Some dmage is unaviodable and is simply part of doing business.

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

Nice guests would have notified you and offered compensation.  Perhaps try and reflect this in your review/ratings of the guests without being too specific.

I have a guest staying for 1 night. when I went to bed this guest brought his boyfriend to my house even though I didn't know. payment was only for 1 guest. in the morning I saw all the sheets in the blood and they could not be removed. I made a request to the guest about the refund of new linen and a fine for the unregistered guest . he didn't. after 3 days, I went to the site and they have about a month do not return the money