Day 12: Seeing Home through the Eyes of Others

Heather133
Level 10
Stowe, VT

Day 12: Seeing Home through the Eyes of Others

A "Fairy Host Mother's" GuideA "Fairy Host Mother's" Guide“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.” - Mark Twain

I suspect Mark Twain would have LOVED Airbnb.

While travel is indeed a catalyst for personal growth and understanding our fellow humans, I think the same could be said for hosting. My very favorite part about hosting has been making personal connections with people who come to our part of the world to experience the things I’ve enjoyed here for many years. Sharing this little town I love and helping others see it as we do has been such a joyful part of my own personal journey. 

What I hadn’t expected was the opportunity to see this place through the eyes of others; The glee of a first snowfall as experienced by southerners; The majesty of the mountains in the summer from the perspective of a city dweller; The spectacular autumn colors that make lines of cars pull off of our winding roads to take photographs. It’s all new again when viewed alongside first timers.A little "purple mountain's majesty" from the garden at the Barn at Bourne HouseA little "purple mountain's majesty" from the garden at the Barn at Bourne House

Perhaps my favorite aspect of hosting our guests is helping them feel at home in the place I call home. Over time I’ve developed a guide of “insider tips.” It isn’t a review of every single place. It’s the highlights, the places to go that are unlike all the others. It’s the places where guests will feel welcomed and looked after, or places to go to be peaceful in the woods. It’s where to park when the lot is full and the “special” to order that’s not on the menu. I aim to make guests feel they’ve got a “fairy host mother” for their adventure.

I’ve had the good luck to have my guide carefully translated into Spanish and French by native speakers who have understood the nuances of what I want our visitors to know and I share it with guests before they arrive. I’m overwhelmed by the gratitude folks have expressed for having a compass to guide them while they explore. 

While we live in a time when there seems to be a lot dividing us from each other, I’m thankful that Airbnb brings us together. I’m thankful we meet people who at first may seem very different and at heart are so much the same. 

14 Replies 14
Miloud0
Level 10
Rabat, Morocco

Salute @Heather133

Thanks for this great post 

Thanks, 

Miloud

Thank you @Miloud0 , I'm so glad you enjoyed it. 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Heather133 

Your views are amazing!
Love the way you have flowers that reflect the contrasting landscape.

Do you change your flower garden theme around?
Or let what is there to self seed and regenerate?

Have you got pets/ animals meandering around your home?

I would imagine it is a playground for many varied species.

All the Best

Central To All Home & Location, New Zealand

Thanks for asking @Helen427 ! One of my favorite things about the garden is that it puts on a show from late May through the fall. June is blue and white, with Columbine, Daisy's and Ms. Rumphius's famous Lupine. The color shifts through the summer, with pink echinacea, golden rudbeckia, assorted cosmos and sunflowers. From the table looking back, guests see a stone retaining wall filled with succulents and surrounded by lavender. We planted it all as a pollinator garden and we fortify it with some new seeds in the spring. 

We have occasional black bears, frequent wild turkeys, deer, and many birds, including humming birds. We have yet to have a moose wander through, but they yearlings occasionally lose their way and wander through town or a nearby condo complex before getting "re-directed" by the game wardens.

The hot air balloon festival launches from the fields below us in July. That's always a treat from our porch and garden.

IMG_0888.JPG

@Helen427  @StephanIe  I missed you guys here at the Community Center, I wasn’t able to log in nor post anything for a few days. I guess all is well now.

Giuliana142
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

@Heather133  Wow those are some spectacular views. I love the peaceful scenery, so much green growing around. Beautiful place to meditate. 

And I thought I had a garden....ha!

stunning!

@Giuliana142 I'm so thankful for the views all over the "brave little state" of Vermont.  Just saw your places in Toronto and Slovenia. As much as I love the cold weather and snow, it made me want to take a trip to the seaside! Lucky you!

Laura2484
Level 10
Ohope, New Zealand

Thank you for sharing @Heather133 

Great read, gorgeous photos & congratulations!

'Perhaps my favorite aspect of hosting our guests is helping them feel at home in the place I call home. '

It starts with the guests welcome & greeting, a friendly smile and a genuine hello goes a long way... Perhaps in your case with a sprinkle of fairy hosting dust too

@Laura2484 Thank you Laura! I couldn't agree more about the greeting and a smile! 

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Lovely post, lovely panorama @Heather133 . I feel myself breathing deeper, just looking at your image. 😊

Thank you @Cathie19 . Love that you said that. A friend of mine who is an artist, avid hiker and airbnber sends out a weekly email message called Tuesday Dawnings. It usually contains a musing, a poem, a painting or drawing and gorgeous nature photos. It always makes me take a nice deep breath. Never a marketing message, it's just her way of trying to add a little positivity to the world. It's brief and provides a little morning respite every Tuesday. I bet you'd love it. Link to sign up is here: https://mailchi.mp/taosdawn.com/join-tuesday-dawnings

Miloud0
Level 10
Rabat, Morocco

Salute @Heather133

Thank you also 

Thanks, 

Miloud

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

So beautiful, @Heather133 ! 

Thanks @Lawrene0 !