Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Day 17: Potatoes, Eggs, and Coffee Beans

pablo (9).png

Hello everyone! 

I hope you're all well. 

I just want to let you know that I took over day 17 from @Kimberly136 (from Greenville, SC). This morning I was reading a very inspirational story of which I thought was worth sharing with you. 

Once upon a time, a daughter complained to her father that her life was miserable and that she didn’t know how she was going to make it. She was tired of fighting and struggling all the time. It seemed just as one problem was solved, another one soon followed.

Her father, a chef, took her to the kitchen. He filled three pots with water and placed each on a high fire. Once the three pots began to boil, he placed potatoes in one pot, eggs in the second pot, and ground coffee beans in the third pot.

He then let them sit and boil, without saying a word to his daughter. The daughter moaned and impatiently waited, wondering what he was doing.

After twenty minutes he turned off the burners. He took the potatoes out of the pot and placed them in a bowl. He pulled the eggs out and placed them in a bowl.

He then ladled the coffee out and placed it in a cup. Turning to her he asked. “Daughter, what do you see?”

“Potatoes, eggs, and coffee,” she hastily replied.

“Look closer,” he said, “and touch the potatoes.” She did and noted that they were soft. He then asked her to take an egg and break it. After pulling off the shell, she observed the hard-boiled egg. Finally, he asked her to sip the coffee. Its rich aroma brought a smile to her face.

“Father, what does this mean?” she asked.

He then explained that the potatoes, the eggs and coffee beans had each faced the same adversity– the boiling water.

However, each one reacted differently.

The potato went in strong, hard, and unrelenting, but in boiling water, it became soft and weak.

The egg was fragile, with the thin outer shell protecting its liquid interior until it was put in the boiling water. Then the inside of the egg became hard.

However, the ground coffee beans were unique. After they were exposed to the boiling water, they changed the water and created something new.

“Which are you,” he asked his daughter. “When adversity knocks on your door, how do you respond? Are you a potato, an egg, or a coffee bean? “

Moral: In life, things happen around us, things happen to us, but the only thing that truly matters is what happens within us.

Which one are you? 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

7 Replies 7
Kimberly54
Level 10
San Diego, CA

@Quincy, nice save for the day, AND perhaps consider that

* COMFORT FOOD, cooked potatoes can be both soft and comforting to perfection!  The white ones are not super high in nutritients, but add other ingredients or some frying, and wow, this can result in amazing fun!  (Like, who cares about nutrients--let's PARTY!)  And let's face it, the raw potato is not edible until the heat transforms its structure.

* RESILIANT, VERSATILE, NUTRIENT-RICH, hard-boiled eggs are actually 'soft' yet firm; a perfect 'fast food,' and they can be transformed into other yummy things.  They are not super-perishable.  And the BIG plus: regardless of how cooked, eggs are at the top of the protein chain. (Yep, way over beef or fish.)  Uncooked, eggs can still be used in a great many ways! Go way out on that line and think egg tempra--from first century AD until the 1500's when oil became the new medium for pigment--this was the medium for just about all of the paintings--many of these great works survive to this day. 

* ADDICTION, coffee is a $$$BBB industry which supplies no nutrients.  It is a socially acceptable form of speed.  Smells nice, tastes... and you can add any type of generally non-or negative nutrient things to make the beverage into a liquid dessert?  From Starbucks on every corner to Keurig makers--and a bizillion others... yep, there is real power here.

Each one--the potato, the egg, and the coffee bean, can all be adaptable in a great many different scenarios/adversities, but to be sure, coffee beats them all in the marketplace.

I don't think that was your point... 😉

Just playing!

Kim
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Kimberly54,

Don't forget that quite some nice dishes can be prepared using potatoes and eggs 😉 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

@Quincy, that’s nice of you to keep the calendar going and even with a calendar story. My grandma always had calendars with a story or cooking recipe per day. I probably became a cynic reading them ...

Small wonder the daughter is not good at managing her life, with such a chef as father. 

The potatoe may be edible after 20 minutes, depending on size, the egg is a rubber ball by then and I don’t believe there will be any coffee, as he did not ground the beans first. Anyway, after 20 minutes boiling, I would not taste it for any incentive 😉

Writing on inedible food, I looked up and saw that sight: Auguste had found the teabag in the bin, but fallen asleep with eyes open still holding it. Not even the flash startled him. 

And he does not produce eggs, it’s definitely a male bird. 

Not edible but somewhat interestingNot edible but somewhat interesting

I guess, in the original question, you may not find many exclusively passively suffering victims here, they would not survive the guests for long. 

A possible reaction to the harsh hosting environment is getting harder, sometimes hard and even hostile in a burnout. And to get out of that, a creative period, to transform the environment, make it nicer for the guests or contain them somewhat. It seems to come in waves for most of us. 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

haha @Helga0, aww Auguste. I'm pleased to see he has a liking for tea! 🙂 He looks very happy asleep...I wonder what he is dreaming about....!

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

With that happy look? Mischief 😉

Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

my Dad tells us  Kids iam not a daddy iam a  father who knows best, sink or swim is my Father model

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I really like your story @Quincy. It is funny whilst reading your post, it made me feel all calm and relaxed.

I suppose we just need to keep powering on, even when things get hard. I imagine everyone at times in their life need to hear this. 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.