Different price charged to guests!

Jan158
Level 1
Prague, Czech Republic

Different price charged to guests!

Hi,

I have a problem with Airbnb charging different price per night to my guests compared to the price that I set in my calendar.

For example I set €30 per night and if I go to Airbnb the booking form shows €32 per night. Then when I receive the reservation, it of course shows again only €30!! I get paid €30 minus the fees, while the host pays €32 per night. Thus the guests are charged more and Airbnb makes hidden profit on this. There is no cleaning fee just to let you know and of course Airbnb also adds their Service fee.

I contacted Airbnb via help form but got only some generic reply that they are checking it and that was a week ago and no reply since then even though I urged them couple of times.

This really annoys me and is not fair.

22 Replies 22
Crustt0
Level 5
Apollo Bay, Australia

Airbnb charges a 12% service fee to the custome and the a 3% fee to the host, some might call that double dipping 🙂 but it's pretty staight forward.

Jan158
Level 1
Prague, Czech Republic

Hi Crustt,

this is not what I am talking about, i know about these fees, but my problem is in the different base price per night. I set in my calendar for example €30 and then when I view my listing as a guest it shows €32 per night. For other listings this does not happen so it must be some bug or mistake.

Patrick395
Level 2
Reading, United Kingdom

Hi Jan,

I noticed that you posted this in January, I am having excactly the same problem, just out of interest, did you ever get it resolved..?

Jan158
Level 1
Prague, Czech Republic

I just disovered in another site where i asked about this that Airbnb charges another 3% currency exchange fee! It is because my payout is in different currency than EUR. However they dont inform about this anywhere and are not even able to tell me about it when I directly asked!!

hey Jan, I have the same issue and had no reply from airbnb yet. 

I have my price in euros yet i still have the same problem which makes airbnb’s claim invalid.  except this i just noticed on the last reservation that the guest had paid less than my base price which i noticed after aproving their reservation. and there is no explanation for all this. There is something seriously wrong with airbnb management. 

Azucena3
Level 1
Mexico City, Mexico

Hello! I have a similar issue; a guest informed me that the total amount paid through Airbnb was of $8,137 MXN. Later, when checking his bank account, turns out they actually charged him $8,845 MXN. Isn't it supposed to show from the beginning the complete amount? He says it's the first time this happens in the 10 reservations he's already done. 

Gina32
Level 10
Bridport, Australia

I had a similar issue, My pricing is always in AUS$. I had an enquiry for a longer stay, 7 nights, and the guy was going to book, but decided not to, because when the information came up to him the pricing was in US$ and of course there is a large difference.

He did not book and accused me of changing the booking pricing. I tried to explain I didn't do that and my rate are always in AUS$ he wasn't having a bar of that.

Airbnb did not repsod to my questioning on the issue.

Any solution to this? I have the same issue now, years later.

Jojo11
Level 2
Montclair, CA

I just discovered that same problem.  I'm getting $35 for cleaning fee but guests are charged for $39, nightly rates are also 11-12% higher too.  PLUS, airbnb charges a service fee to guests too.  If airbnb is tagging fees on top of my cleaning fee they shouldn't tell guests the cleaning fee is only charged by hosts.  I only charge $35, not the additional 13%.

Same thing happend to me and both currencies are USD. I charged $70 / night and they are getting charged $72 / night. 

I have another one that is similar I charged $75 / night and they are getting charged $90 / night minus 10% discount which is $81 / night. 

This is upsetting because I communicated to the guests what the rate was and then AirBnB is changing it, and apparently keeping the difference?

Does AirBnB watch these forums?

Why would they David? If you want to use the site, "these" are the rules. Life is not fair, why would anyone be? Why not abuse people? Always within the confines of what is "lawful". Right? Right?

So we suck it up and we dance their capitalist dance, like the pretty little puppets we are! 

Sorry about the rant but this kind of **bleep** goes beyond my powers of remotely understanding how and why we 

have not been extinct as a species by our own greed...

Patrick395
Level 2
Reading, United Kingdom

I too am having the same problem. Nothing to do with fees, I fully understand all that. I have 2 problems, guests being charged more than the site is telling me they are being charged, or guests being quoted less than my settings. BUT in both instances I am getting £5 per night less than my guests are paying, again after all fees are deducted from my guests and from myself.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Sounds like Smart Pricing is on or exchange rates. How odd.

Patrick395
Level 2
Reading, United Kingdom

Hi Fred, no I bailed out of smart pricing within a few weeks of using Airbnb. I cant explain it, but its nothing to do with poor exchange rates and exchange fees, this is over and above that. I have used a friends computer here in the UK, and they are quoting £11 per night less than my listing price..??

Regards

Patrick