Dissappointed about dont Refund money

Sumeyye0
Level 1
Thessaloniki, Greece

Dissappointed about dont Refund money

Im living in Greece, and I had a visa to go Canada bec of a job offer. 

Two months ago my greek id/residence permit has stolen inside my bag at the bus. I have a police report for it. 

I spoke with the border polices, they told me that I cant travel without id. And they inform me that renewing the card will take more than 4 months!

I had to canceled my reserve and ask a refund either from the host and from customer service. 

The host inform me that there will be a guest wants to stay in her house, so I quickly canceled my stay in her room. 

I paid around 650€ for a room in Vancouver, Bc. 

Since I have a police report, my situation is under outstanding circumstance  I dont know why Airbnb wont pay my money back!

I spoke with the customer service, she does not look care my situation. She replies couple times that she wont be at the office! If she wont be at the office why airbnb dont forward me to another customer service?! 

I spoke also the host. And ask some of my money back, she seems not care much my situation.

if I could travel, I was planning to stay in that room. But I cant fly abroad now, and my all schedule has gone, the visa will be expire, the job has gone, and even I have an official document which I sent to customer service and the host... It seems nobody cares my situation. I trust to Airbnb and I paid my money from Greece to Vancouver, Bc.

I guess next time, I cant use airbnb anymore how I can trust it again!!! Its really dissappointed experience for me from Airbnb. 

6 Replies 6
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Sumeyye0Have you reviewed the Extenuating Circumstances policy? I'm not sure that your situation qualifies. It states that it's valid in the case of death or illness, or in the case of government mandated obligations, such as jury duty or national service. I don't think this situation falls into either category. 

Did your host tell you that they would give you a refund if you cancelled? If so and they put it in writing in Airbnb messenger, I would make sure to mention that to your customer service agent. 

If you haven't tried it yet, I would try messaging Airbnb on Twitter @Airbnbhelp. I've found the agents there to be helpful, and they may be able to get you a definitive answer more quickly. 

When you made your booking, you agreed to the cancellation terms. Unfortunately, you may just have to take the hit.

Dear Alexandra, yes I reviewed the Extenuating Circumstances policy. You are thinking from host side, I think,  but as far as I see, Airbnb cant much protect the host at its laws.

I already try to negotiate with the host of the house. She just want to take 650€ for nothing! I spoke her at last give me back some! But, no! 

Under Extenuating Circumstances policy, it says I have to be die to refund my money back!!!

My situation is already awkward. Since I have an official document, Airbnb should protect the guest as well.

Otherwise I have never think about to trust again. And I dont think, Im alone! I will search for it. The rules should protect both sides, not just one side. 

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Did you have travel insurance of some kind, @Sumeyye0 ? It's always a good idea. If you did (perhaps through your credit card?), do try that.

Dear, thank you! I know! 

Marie82
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

@Sumeyye0  Did u receive money back from your flight ticket from Greece to Canada?

Nope! I rebook it!