Exempt from reporting if under 15 stays?

Kelly32
Level 1
Easton, PA

Exempt from reporting if under 15 stays?

I'm working on 2015 tax forms & need help on reporting airbnb profits. 

We only hosted for 10 days in 2015 --  totaling about $750.

I came across this in the Ernst & Young document that airbnb has provided, to help with tax reporting.

Exemptions:
If you use a dwelling unit as a home and you rent it less than 15 days during the year, its primary function is not considered to be rental. You are not required to report the rental income and rental expenses from this activity on Schedule C or E (Form 1040). The expenses, including qualified mortgage interest, property taxes, and any qualified casualty loss will be reported as normally allowed on Schedule A (Form 1040). See the Instructions for Schedule A (Form 1040) for more information on deducting these expenses.

Does this mean I should not report the $750?  But I should deduct expenses???

Thank you in advance!

4 Replies 4
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Kelly32 From the excerpt you provided, I would interpret the meaning as reporting as Rental Income, not that you don't have to report the income at all.  But I'm not a tax expert.  😞

Then, where else might I report it?

I put it in "Other income" - Miscellaneous Income

Desiree3
Level 2
Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Hi Kelly,

My name is Mattie Nurova and I'm a Tax Associate at Shared Economy CPA. If you rented out your property for less than 15 days you don't have to report it separately as rental income, since your property doesn't count as a rental. You DO have to report the income together with the rest of your ordinary income. The expenses are reported on Schedule A as regular itemized deductions to figure out your adjusted gross income. Basically, the article you posted is saying you do have to report the income and expenses, just not on a separate form used exclusively for rental activities. Hope this helps and feel free to ask me any other questions at mattie@sharedeconomycpa.com