Extra Guest Stress

Amanda982
Level 2
Knoxville, TN

Extra Guest Stress

Hi fellow hosts!

This post is both stress-rant and advice seeking. I'm fairly new to hosting (just passed 20 stays). I have my listing capped to 2 guests per night. When I'm screening guests, I make sure they have reviews and government ID, or that I've spoken with them first. I had a single male guest who booked for a convention two nights ago. I met him and he seemed fine, both nights he stayed out (according to him) at local bars and got back after one. I didn't think much of it, I heard him coming in after one but I don't have any specific rules about coming and going late like that. However, as he went to leave, I learned that during his stay he had two other males from the conference staying here with him. The condition of the room was fine. He said they'd slept here because they were too drunk to drive elsewhere. Had I known before their check out that this was the case, I would not have allowed two additional guests. I would have been concerned for my safety with three inebriated males much larger than myself staying here. I'm wondering a) how to write this review... and b) do I reach out to AirBnB to request the difference for two extra guests (I charge an additional 5/night for the second guest). 

Thank you all in advance for your help!

2 Replies 2
Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Amanda982 How violating that would feel. Ugh. 

As for the review, I would absolutely mention it, but also mention he was a good guest otherwise. Something like:

“X was a friendly guest and left the space clean. I did learn after the fact that he allowed two other unregistered guests to stay in my home.”

Just state the facts so other hosts are aware what happened. 

As for charging for the extra guests I would do it. You don’t have to contact Airbnb. Just request the funds through the Resolution Center. Explain politely there is an extra charge for extra guests (as long as this is disclosed in your listing). He admitted to the guests and the extra cost is minor so hopefully he won’t object. 

@Amanda982 Your guest brought two drunk men into your home without even asking your permission. There are so many ways this could have gone horribly wrong. Absolutely call him out on it in your review.