FORGET FILING A DAMAGE CLAIM. YOU WILL NOT BE COMPENSATED.

Jeannie19
Level 1
Middleburg Heights, OH

FORGET FILING A DAMAGE CLAIM. YOU WILL NOT BE COMPENSATED.

BE AWARE!!!

So you think Airbnb has your back when damage is done to your place?

It does not!

I have been part of Airbnb since 2012. I have been a Superhost for years. I have had little things break, but have never put in a claim.

Earlier this month, I had a person who (somehow?) broke a six light track lighting system that will cost about $250 to replace. I tried a number of times to deal directly with this person to no avail.

I contacted Airbnb within it's time frame parameters, to help me recover the replacement cost and so I put in for a $160.00 claim.

I sent all documentation complete with pictures, explaination and went to the store itself, to show the actual amount to replace this fixture. I was willing to absorb the upcost for the light and the price of an electrician to replace it.

Finally after 3 WEEKS of sending and resending all of the same info, I finally got their resolution.

Last evening Airbnb decided $25.00 was all I was entitled to. 

***HERE IS WHAT I SO NAIVELY BELIEVED*****

$1,000,000 Host Guarantee
The Host Guarantee protects your home and your stuff from accidental damage. Every host with a listing on Airbnb is eligible for coverage at no additional cost. You don’t have to do anything to sign up.
Host Protection Insurance
Host Protection Insurance is designed to protect you from liability in case your guests get hurt or cause property damage. It’s automatically included as part of your Airbnb account.

So again, Be aware of how this company treats their life blood.

130 Replies 130

@Fabs0 Thank you! 

@Jude7 @Sergio-and-Nicole0

Let me know if anyone receives the email contact ....I would think they are not easily had.

Here's the founder's email: brian.chesky[at]airbnb.com

@Sergio-and-Nicole0 am glad you found it he will not answer but am sure he reads them as I got a call from upper level management when we had our problem within about an hour of reaching out to him the other top-level people are also easy to reach you just have to do minimal research on line and emails and social media profiles are easy enough to find, like I said before if you feel you are not getting attention reach out to them it's a big company sometimes things pile up lol they care and will take care of you 

@Sergio-and-Nicole0

Thanks Sergio....

@Jude7 Update on Saturdays issue with the guest the broken sevral rules then decided that he wanted his money back and and Airbnb Agent gave it to him. So Like I have said contact upper mangement I got a phone call the next day and guess what happen they took care of everything. They paid me they bocked the users feedback as of course he felt he had the right to give me a negative feedback complaining about having to wait 20 minutes after he showed up 2 hours early. I will post it so you can see what this guy had to say.

the only true thing he had to say was that I did tell him and airbnb that I was going to call the cops to have him removed.  If you are not strong and protect yourself from bad guest like this you will be stuck with negative feedback a refund and hours of agrevation.  I onces agian thank Airbnb Management for getting involed and doing the right thing.

“Hair ALL OVER THE FLOORS. I don't know who's hair, but there is a ton of dust and hair that stuck to my socks as I walked through the house and made me extremely disgusted. Floors ARE NOT taken care of. Do not be tricked! The owner of this property lied to the 4 of us guests about more people staying in the house. We were promised the ENTIRE HOME and the owner sectioned off doors with sheets to make the house a duplex. This makes no sense and took away my feeling of safety because there were others right in the door next to me in the kitchen. Very strange and not right. Owner never mentioned any of this. Also was promised 6 beds, and only 3 were in the house. Also Wifi was trash in the house. Host was mean, and threatened to call the cops when I got Air BNB involved. After the host left from showing us the house for a quick 2 seconds, he left and was unable to help us at all anymore because he told me he was on a boat half way to a whole different zip code. Could use the front door locks properly because he didn't have keys either. Very unsafe. Made us wait outside for 20 minutes while the other guests were leaving the building late. Terrible neighborhood, terrible house. Unlceanly and the owner is a liar about everything on this property. Terrible, located in a lower class area, a lot of people told me to be careful because its the hood and its unsafe in that area once I finally was in Miami. Youre a liar, and a terrible host. ”

@Fabs0 -

Although I suspect you have thicker skin than I do - I felt pretty sick reading this attempted review.  You can tell a lot about a person's character by the way they consistently communicate, and you have clearly shown yourself as a caring and level-headed individual who takes pride in their work.

I believe your story and the way you have responded has been an inspiration to many of us.  I know it has been an inspiration to me.  It has been a welcomed respite from the endless diet of victimized hosts that report their stories on the forum every day.

Although it does seem that  Airbnb will take the path of least resistance, I am heartened to know that when you present an articulate and responsible demeanor to Airbnb - AND CONNECT WITH THE RIGHT INDIVIDUALS, THOSE IN A POSITION TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT - your experience as a host is respected, contrary to the many posts on this forum that state otherwise.

May you continue to have many, many guests worthy of your hospitality.

Warmly,

Jude

PS  I'm about to come to Miami to begin a cruise.  I would have considered staying with  you but I'm flying into Fort Lauderdale.  Maybe next year!  🙂

Airbnb had no trust and safety department when they first started.  so a lady who had been ripped off started a blog on a webpage about them.  Brian Chesky himself contacted her and proved that he was an ASS and made himself look so stupid, that he hired someone to set up trust and safety.  so the moral of the story here is to YELL the loudest about how you've been injured and you will get taken care of.

I completely agree about tweeting. Call them out so big on social media and they will take action. It messes with their 'story' and PR so bad not to quiet you.  The squeaky wheel does get the grease!!

ive been fortunate that they've responded to me pretty reasonably but I do worry about this issue if I had a big problem or damage.

It seems that it is different in countries outside the US. 

Hi Rob

I had an Airbnb in Madrid Spain, which was filthy. I refuse to stay. And try to resolve it with the host who did not show up or respond. After several emails their resolution was that I am owed only $50 credit  after paying $135 for two days. How can I email the founders? I cannot find their email address can you please let me know? Thank you so much  I appreciate your help. 

@Ivette1 i highly agree with @Fabs0

i always get a quick response on facebook or twitter

try not to start out by being nasty with them, and i wouldnt go into too much detail on the public page

i would reach out to them publicly (first) that you have an urgent airbnb matter and have had no success over the phone. Most likely (hopefully) they will respond by telling you to private message them. Then take it from there

Good luck.

@Dee9 @Fabs0

Thank you ladies! I appreciate the input...I want my love affair with Airbnb to warm up again!  But the resolution center needs adjusting!

I can see as much as I dislike facebook...I can see i need one for the property. Do you have a personal one that includes the airbnb property or one specically for your airbnb business?

@Ivette1 LIsting your property on facebook is not what I meant, altho I suppose its not unheard of.

I suggest starting out with a personal facebook merely so that you can interact with airbnb when needed. Usually they will ask for the email address associated with your airbnb account to identify you - it seems thats what they use. I would only add your property if youre planning on marketing it on facebook.

I have a Twitter account for one reason only - and thats to contact airbnb help when I need it. Thats the only time I ever log on to twitter.

if you need help using either you can tag me here, or im sure anyone else in these forums can help

@Dee9

Thanks...I'll do a twitter account.  If I need help I will reach out to you....I appreciate it.

@Ivette1 -

i have had good results contacting Airbnb via Twitter through a direct message. I set up a Twitter account using my Airbnb email address, which is different from my personal email, and I don't use it for any other purpose than to contact Airbnb.

Jude