Fake Airbnb in my email asking to verify my email address?

Katarina-and-Ante0
Level 5
Split, Croatia

Fake Airbnb in my email asking to verify my email address?

rkomka.png

I think this is a scam! I would have to log in to airbnb-looking page but on airbnb.vepay.net domain, thus leaving them my password.

Airbnb, please alert hosts!

Ante

6 Replies 6

As a reminder to all hosts, never, never click on a link from an untrusted source.  In the screenshot shown, this is being send or spoofed from a GMail account.  Airbnb would never send you something from a GMail account.  

It is a scam to get your account information and password so they can infiltrate your profile and potentially your banking information (meaning they change it to deposit into their account instead of yours!) 

Both me and my wife received those emails! So, I guess most of other hosts did it too! I'm not naive, but I almost clicked! You should really alert the hosts, because it's highly unlikely noone took the bait!

I know Airbnb regularly sends emails about possile phishing, but this is the first time someone actually tried to trick me. Airbnb should really do something to alert hosts, ASAP.

Ante

Kirstie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Katarina-and-Ante0,

I'm Kirstie, the online community coordinator here in the Community center. This is a good question to put to the community as there have been other similar cases that have come up. There is a useful help guide about recognising airbnb emails here - it also gives an email address you report any scam emails which helps airbnb investigate them.

Well done for not following the link, it's easy to be tricked!

Kirstie

One of my email accounts seems to attract this sort of thing, not yet from AirBnB. Banks I do not have an account with banks I do have an account with. Etc etc.

Last thing I want is emails from AirBnB telling me that there system is subject to it as well. Bit like getting an email telling me the sun came up this morning.

David

Hello David, the sun just rose. Thought you'd like to know.

@Alice-and-Jeff0....Well picked up! This is what is great about having you guys in the forum, you just keep on coming up with really good sensible advice....cheers....Rob