Four Star Club

Andrew157
Level 10
Windermere, United Kingdom

Four Star Club

Can I propose a new club,? called the four star club?

My application to join is below

So this guest gives a public review which states

This place is situated great in the centre of bowness it was very clean and couldn't fault it

And he gives private feedback which says

The location was amazing and the place was very clean, I would definitely recommend this place

He gives 5 stars for Accuracy, Check in,  Cleanliness,  Communication, Location and Value

So why [insert your own expletive here] does he give 4 stars overall.

34 Replies 34
John1574
Level 10
Providence, RI

@Andrew157

Pure ignorance. I asssume these stories are legion. Ouch!

AirBnB seemingly does not give guests adequate guidelines on how to fairly review.  They should let it be known that anything less than a 5* review can be construed as a negative.

And even if they did (read), after writing detailed instructions of many different types for many years, I've come to the conclusion that people can't read or don't read (because they're too lazy?) or don't comprehend or simply ignore instructions.

Perhaps a public comment about that visit, after a while, to set the record straight.

Barbara395
Level 3
Winchester, TN

..hence the pattern of a unhappy traveler just writing bad reviews on hosts.

I had a lady make a remark my place was great< but small....which is the FIRST word on my Account...Small Cozy Cottage....

There has to be a better way to do the reviews. I just think Hosts are at times being treated unfairly by their guests.

I had a guest who never checked the instructions and the picture and she came knocking on my door while the Airbnb studio in front of her and has separate entrance. 

I had a couple who arrived on sunday afternoon before 4PM ( whichis stated in my profile as check in time.) 

She send me a note on Monday Morning that she found a hair on the blanket, and could she wash the sheets and blankets. I said go ahead, but I washed the linens and towels on Sunday beofe you areeived. I am not sure where the hair came from or what color it  was! 

She left me a a review stating that the house could be cleaner and that the towels were not clean! NOT A WORD MENTIONED ABOUT THE HAIR, BLANKETS OR THE LINENS.

Another guest from Canada wrote that the bath tub was black and that she had to clean it herself. This was a blatant lie! 

She never said a word to me about a dirty bath!

I have repeat guests who comment about how clean my house is......I guess these two negative guests did not read the previous reviews, or they cannot read! 

I truly believe that some of these people have very little at home, and when they come to a very upscale neighborhood, they are jealous, and it makes them feel better if they can put  the host down! Out of 50+ reviews, only those two were somewhat negative.

Yes I truly belive that hosts are being treated unfairly by the guests, at times.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Andrew157

That's a classic one and I've had a few of those. Your guest probably didn't think he was finding fault as Airbnb told him that 4 stars was good. He doesn't understand that's not the case because the information Airbnb gives guests in the review process is completely misleading and that's something that really needs to be addressed.

I get annoyed when a guest leaves me 4 instead of 5 because they find something really insignifcant to complain about, e.g. 4 stars for check in because they thought the door number was too small. Never mind they got detailed instructions on finding the house, including pictures of the exterior which are very distinctive and that other guests have no problems finding it. Never mind that I take as much time as needed to give guests and warm welcome and thorough tour answering all their questions. The size of the door number (standard size by the way) knocks a whole star off.

However, at least I know their reason no matter how silly or unfair it seems to me. I agree that it's the ones that give 5 in every category and then 4 overall without any feedback or explanation that are the most annoying.

I have had a very similar experience with guest who would not reply to my texts on the phone or on Airbnb. 

They told me that they were not teck savvy and that they hardly check their phones.

They had a problem with the keyless entry pad.... they did not know how to use it, so it took them a few tries. They never rang the bell,  but when I heard them at the door, I went to the door.

I finally got to the door and opened it and welcomed them.

They stated in their review that checking in was a bit of a problem......as the key less entry pad would not work! 

We can't please everyone all the time. Some people just love to complain. 

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

@Andrew157 (Not my listing, but...) Here's another member for you (professionally property-managed vacation rental near me...)

Screenshot 2018-05-28 at 10.23.07 AM.png

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Rebecca181 @Andrew157

Here are some more examples from my reviews. None of these gave any negative feedback, so I believe they all qualify to join @Andrew157's  Four Star Club :

"Public feedback
Lovely big room with lots of little touches to make it feel special. central location and near a tube station so convenient for traveling around London. 3 lovely cats that make the place a little bit special.
Private feedback
Thank you for being a fantastic and friendly host. We both really enjoyed our stay."

"The house is beautifully quirky with a great historic feel. The room was comfortable and spacious as advertised. Moreover, the location was excellent; an easy walk to grocers, restaurants and the Underground. Last but not least, Huma was a wonderful, attentive and accommodating host."

"Public feedback
Time flies when you're having fun! Although we haven't been there much, my sister and I had a really pleasant stay at this lovely home!! Just a few minutes walk from the subway and shops, charming rooms, and a very friendly and helpfull host. Need we say more... 
 Private feedback
 This is just for you. It won’t appear on your listing or profile.
Hi Huma, as we already said; time flies when you're having fun! Although we haven't been there much, we had a really pleasant stay at your lovely home!!"

"Huma was really welcoming and made sure we had everything we needed. Also great for local knowledge! Thanks Huma!"

"Had such a Lovely stay and Huma was such a lovely host. Thank you!"

"My host Huma was at home when I arrived and introduced my to her home- I felt very welcomed; Huma was/is very caring. Since atmosphere. Thanks Hma- I enjoyed staying at your place."

"I had a great stay at Huma's house. The house is really lovely with the whole Victorian touch. Was quite an experience for me. I was hardly home so didn't get much time to spend with huma but she was really helpful whenever I needed something. It was my birthday whilst my stay there and she actually remembered and got me a card which was really nice of her."
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Also, there are some people who will never give 5 stars unless they are totally, utterly blown away. They say everyting was 'perfect' but apparently perfect does not equate to 5 star. You would have to arrange for them to have high tea with The Queen in order to squeeze a 5 star out of them and, even then, Queenie would need to be on her very best behaviour.

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

@Huma0 @Andrew157 @Barbara395 @John1574 

What guests are told by Airbnb: 4 Stars = 'Very Good'. 5 Stars = 'Fantastic'.

What Hosts are told by Airbnb:  Maintain a 4.7 or you risk having your listing removed from the platform.

Why the disparity? Why is Airbnb seemingly intentionally misleading the guest when they solicit the guest's review?

I don't get it.

My own solution: Guests read a brief statement from me saying that Airbnb's review system is NOT like a hotel system. 5 Stars means the property was as the listing and photos described. I ask the guests to let me know if they find this is not the case. I let guests know that Airbnb's review system is similar to Uber's, in that anything below 5 stars can result in warnings, suspension, or possible removal from the platform.

I wish I did not have to do the above, I really do. But I am not putting my business and my livlihood in the hands of guests who are being (deliberately?) misled by Airbnb to believe that 4 stars is a 'very good' review. This is especially important for first time Airbnb users, who are allowed to book with me, which is a real risk on my part - Given the complete lack of appropriate education on Airbnb's part. 

I have had more than one guest thank me for my brief, written educational blurb. They are gob-smacked, really. They cannot understand why Airbnb sets guests up to potentially harm a host by telling them 4 stars is 'very good'. And they thank me for telling them the truth. It is all so very unnecessary, and frankly, it casts Airbnb in a poor light.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Rebecca181

I couldn't agree with you more. The review system makes no sense. As a guest, I would think that 4 stars = Very Good, not only because that's exactly what I'm being told by Airbnb as I give my star rating, but because that's how it works in most of the hospitality industry.

Whenever I have occasionally explained it to guests (if reviews come up naturally in conversation), yes, they are astounded. I have very much been thinking about doing something along the same lines as you, i.e. a little written blurb left in their rooms. We shouldn't have to do this, but I think we have no choice, especially with the changes to the Superhost criteria. 

At the moment, I am safe with my 4.9 average, but it would only take one crappy review to take away that security. After that, every 4 star review will hurt like hell. That's not okay. I try to do my best for my guests, but I'm also not going to live in perpetual fear of those 4 star ratings.

For example, a recent guest found fault with numerous things on his first day, almost as if he was trying to make a list of anything he could find that wasn't 100% perfect. The trouble was that the things he complained about were all clearly and honestly stated on the listing and there was nothing I could do about them. I was then in a panic trying to think of ways to appease him to avoid the 4 star review, but that review is inevitable no matter what I do because that particular kind of guest comes with expectations way beyond the anything I can deliver and regardless of the low price.

I wasn't so much annoyed at the guest (I'm not going to take it personally if someone thinks my listing is Very Good rather than Excellent), but I was VERY annoyed with Airbnb for putting me in this ridiculous situation.

Huma,

I had the same thing with a lady that was just not happy from the get go.... All of which I had nothing to do with....drive was to long, didnt want to go to the wedding, it was dark at night, she was using the wrong WFI when clearly indicated in a house book the account and PW and the best one was that the small cozy 1900 cottage was small!

One cannot appease the troubled unhappy guest other than let them stay for free@ which point they would complain about that too.

But the blurb is a good idea and I will try that too.

@Barbara395 If you let her stay for free, she would expect for you to provide meals. With some people, there is no bottom.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Update on this. The guest I mentioned in the post above actually did leave me 5 stars. Perhaps I was anxious for no reason then, but I don't think so. I really went out of my way to keep him happy, including champagne and a card, so I managed to get that 5 stars in the end, but it really shouldn't be necessary when you are already offering everything described in the listing.