[GAME] Shiritori: travel destinations

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

[GAME] Shiritori: travel destinations

351869_GettyImages-180409764_ForYou.jpeg

Hello everyone,

I would like to propose to you a game a little bit different from the ones we usually prepare, inspired by a Japanese word game: Shiritori. In turn, each of you will post one  word and each word must start with the last syllable of the word before it.

In order to keep the topic organised and allow for a bit of escapism, let’s only use words corresponding to destinations, e.g. countries, cities, regions, mountains, lakes, monuments.

Here is an example to demonstrate this:

Doncaster > Donnington

Now it's up to you to take the next step!

Wishing you all a lovely week ahead 🙂

Quincy

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

64 Replies 64
Lenore22
Level 10
California, United States

How do you get from London to Dresden? Did you start in Spanish? (LonDRES > DRESden)

Anyway, from denVER > VERsailles

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Lenore22, you're partially right! I do actually speak some Papiamento/Spanish. It looks like my mind wasn't exactly switched to English yet 😃.

I guess all of us sometimes have that "brain fart" moment when you can speak multiple languages! 💭

CC @Sarah977 @Mike-And-Jane0 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Quincy  I have the same question as Lenore. 🙂

@Lenore22 I can't think of anything  that starts with the last syllable of your choice. Does that mean you win? 

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Quincy @Lenore22 

@Sarah977 isn't trying

Versailles > Silesia.

@Mike-And-Jane0  Sorry, but that doesn't start with the last syllable- you left out the a after the first s, and also one l, so you need to try again. Did you think I wouldn't notice that you're cheating? 🙂 

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Sarah977 surely Versailles is pronounced Ver sigh. Or at least it is in France which is presumably the language that should count here.

@Quincy I really think we need you here to 

a) Justify your London > Dresden (good luck with that) and

b) Arbitrate between a brit living in England and a Canadian living in Mexico (good luck with that as well)

@Mike-And-Jane0  I think it needs to be clarified whether it is the spelling or the pronunciation which is the basis for the game. I assumed spelling, you assumed pronunciation. 

(Quincy's start is neither. Maybe he posted this before his second morning cup of coffee 🙂 )

Lenore22
Level 10

Lol. I don't think this is how @Quincy planned on this post going.

@Sarah977 I agree with @Mike-And-Jane0 , since shiritori is usually a verbal game, I think the phonetic syllable is probably the way to go. Otherwise, Versailles would truly be impossible! 😅

(I thought Saipan might be an option as well) photos make things more fun, so here's mine for Versailles:

IMG_20220321_114114.jpg

Silesia is a cool response. Curious to see what's next!

the Japanese also don't spell things differently to the pronunciation (ok there's a tiny handful of exceptions). 

Can't wait for an Aussie city to come up, if we are doing pronunciations, haha. 

(Melbourne is pronounce Mell-bin.)

@Gillian166  Spanish also easy to read once you know how each letter is pronounced because unlike English, it is spelled exactly like it sounds. No weird letter combinations (like the gh in "enough" being pronounced like an f) or silent letters- each vowel in Spanish only has one pronunciation, etc.

I did one module of spanish (remember NOTHING) but I was able to get the pronunciation right because curiously, the Spanish vowel sounds are almost the same as japanese (which I speak, although it's been 20+ years since i lived in Japan so i'm super rusty)

Lenore22
Level 10

But in shiritori, you use the phonetic syllable, not the character (kanji)... Which would be more akin to spelling... 

Just saying... 

let's just play it both ways instead of arguing over grammar. it gives us more options, which i think we'll need! 

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Gillian166 Good idea - @Quincy has complained in the past when people argue over grammar.

We could also play it @Quincy 's way where any answer is allowed!