Glasgow, Scotland Council Ban Short Stay Accommodation

Ex-AirBNB0
Level 2
Glasgow, United Kingdom

Glasgow, Scotland Council Ban Short Stay Accommodation

It appears that Glasgow city council have now issued ( without any announcement by themselves on their website or to the press ) that they have banned the ability for homeowners to host short stay lets in flats. They are now actively pursuing people who are letting their flats out and issuing enforcement orders.

Any feedback from others out there? 

17 Replies 17
Micheal10
Level 2
Glasgow, United Kingdom

I can't find any information on this.  Where do you read about it? 

Scott609
Level 2
Scotland, United Kingdom

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Well actually that's not true. They have just brought in restrictions, like many other cities strugglingly with the impact STRs have had on the availability of rented accommodation for families, workers and students.

There has actually been quite a lot of information about this in the media.

https://www.scotsman.com/business/companies/restrictions-could-be-slapped-on-airbnb-short-term-holid...

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/15905360.Airbnb_landlords_facing_new_crackdown_on_short-term_lets...

And on the Council's own website

https://www.glasgow.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=36872&p=0

Ex-AirBNB0
Level 2
Glasgow, United Kingdom

Hello Helen,

Firstly relating to SG10 this came into practical application & force across all of  Glasgow on March 2018.

Its content relating to short-term lets clearly states the fact that is now NOT possible to rent out entire flats anywhere across the city ( without owners actually staying in the property itself at the time of the let taking place) without a formal change in planning consent for that property. This is a massive, massive change for the approx 500 -600  short stay lets in Glasgow.  Many of these lets are run on a commercial basis by Glasgow based and other UK companies.  Many, if not all of these companies are not informed of this change and are as yet unaware of this significant impact this policy change will have on their businesses.

Helen, although the policy planning detail change is contained in the document SG10 which you correctly posted a link to, that document namely SG10 and the detail contained within regarding planning. change is not advertised anywhere on any commercial, news website, industry website newspaper or council website. And certainly, nothing I can find anywhere outside of the SG10 document itself references planning consent now being required for short stay lets of entire flats across greater Glasgow. These properties are advertised on Airbnb, Booking.com, gumtree, Rightmove etc etcegarding

Helen both the separate links you posted above do not mention SG10 in any capacity. T

You should pay particulate notice to this statement held within section 4.16  SG10 " the change of use of properties to short-stay flats will be strongly resisted".                                                                                                                                                                       That's, in my opinion, is another way of phrasing a blanket ban. You may, however, disagree with my appraisal of that phrase Helen.

4.16  SG10

c) To protect residential amenity in areas where there are already a significant number of non-residential uses and/or problems of parking and traffic congestion, the change of use of properties to short-stay flats will be strongly resisted in the following Conservation Areas:

• Crosshill;

• Dennistoun;

• Glasgow West;

• Park;

• St Vincent Crescent; and

• Strathbungo.

• Park;

• Strathbungo.

Here is the link again to SG10 that relates to the new planning process for short stay lets across Glasgow.

https://www.glasgow.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=36872&p=0

Detailed Criteria

4.16  Short-stay accomodation shall be assessed against the following detailed criteria, together with the key criteria for tourist accommodation in Section 4.

1. a)  To protect residential amenity planning permission will not be granted for a change of use from a residential flat to short-stay accommodation within existing blocks of residential flats, resulting in a mix of mainstream residential flats and short- stay accommodation within a single building sharing a means of access.

2. b)  In appropriate locations that satisfy the relevant key criteria relating to tourist accommodation (in Section 4), planning permission may be granted for the change of use of entire blocks of residential flats to short-stay accommodation, or for new purpose-built developments for this type of accommodation.

c) To protect residential amenity in areas where there are already a significant number of non-residential uses and/or problems of parking and traffic congestion, the change of use of properties to short-stay flats will be strongly resisted in the following Conservation Areas:

• Crosshill;

• Dennistoun;

• Glasgow West;

• Park;

• Strathbungo.

• Park;

• Strathbungo.

Scott609
Level 2
Scotland, United Kingdom
Scott609
Level 2
Scotland, United Kingdom

Linda881
Level 3
Glasgow, United Kingdom

Strongly resisted in only the conservation areas listed. As with many GCC policies they are poorly executed and you are expected to read the fine detail buried in a website.

i know someone tried to organise a meet up before, but I couldn’t make it. Would probably be interesting to organise something again to discuss this and other issues.  Not sure if anyone here has the time to lead this? 

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Another victory for Scottish Government at Holyrood😉

Ex-AirBNB0
Level 2
Glasgow, United Kingdom

Glasgow City Council released additional planning guidance in Feb 2017 on short term accommodation. There is information on this here > https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/1379/responsible-hosting-in-the-united-kingdom

The Scottish Government is currently looking into the regulation of short term rentals. Airbnb are having an ongoing discussions with the Scottish Government on this issue.

Hosting in Scotland: 

If your property is available to let for 140 days or more per year, it will be deemed a self-catering property and therefore will be subject to business rates. Rates will be based on the property type, size and location, and how many guests are able to stay. You may also be liable for business rates if you run a guest house or a bed-and-breakfast for more than six people at any one time. More information can be found on the Scottish government website here

In February 2017, Glasgow City Council released supplementary planning guidance which addresses short-term accommodation City Development Plan: SG10 Meeting Housing Needs. This guidance sets out when a planning application may be needed. You should contact your local authority if you have any questions

Scott609
Level 2
Scotland, United Kingdom

I got a cease and desist order from Glasgow city council with a must stop by end of September 2019. I was told my entire building was targeted and got a letter and email from them to tell me they are flushing Airbnb in Glasgow. If I did not stop they will be taking legal action against me too.

Only the letter telling me they are enforcing 2017 law; also told it would be a waste of time if I tried to appeal their decision. They have already made their minds up about short term lets in buildings that have a communal door and hallway.  That describes my place.

Tourism is going to wither and die in this city due to the council and a few loud complainers I think. Just a matter of time before the rest of the country will also be slapped down & tourists will go to countries that want them there.

Council is NOT friendly to those who use Airbnb to supplement their incomes.

Airbnb legal is aware of how Scotland does not want any form of Airbnb - Period! I doubt that anything is going to be changed for Airbnb as the country does NOT want short term renters. Another government over reach is all it is!

Kym43
Level 1
Glasgow, United Kingdom

Can I just say, there's so much concern here about the 'Tourists' and the 'Businesses' being affected by the outlawing of Airbnb. But have you thought about the home-owner residents who live in these blocks? I live under an AirBnb and the footfall and noise has had a serious impact on my health. I completely understand the need for tourists, I run a business that relies on them in the summer months, but what about the people who are paying a mortgage and living in this city? Shouldn't they have the right to return to a home that doesn't fill them with dread? I think they do. And I think that their wellbeing trumps tourists. 

Ali10622
Level 1
Glasgow, United Kingdom

I have been an Airbnb host because I was fed up with long-term tenants that not only trashed my place but paid a month’s rent and a month’s deposit on move-in, as standard by agents at that time - NO MORE RENT EVER RECEIVED and my agent could not evict them immediately, it took 5-months and I was lucky as now the laws have changed and it takes even longer. On taking my flat back my neighbours informed me the tenant’s partner who moved in despite not being added to the lease was dealing drugs from my property with ‘dodgy’ folk coming and going requiring police attending regularly! I then went with Airbnb and my neighbours were actually happy as they knew any noisy guests could be and were moved out. Both Glasgow Council and the Scottish Government are more interested in having only long-term, affordable rentals than individuals make a bit of extra cash, in my opinion. 
PS it is with some surprise and delight I read only this month that Glasgow Council are turning a blind eye to Airbnb hosts in areas where there have been no complaints from neighbours, perhaps there is hope

Scott609
Level 2
Scotland, United Kingdom