Guest Brings Unauthorized Visitor

Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Guest Brings Unauthorized Visitor

This is one of the most common things that happen to hosts (by reading this forum). My current guest is doing it today (they are the guests in the entire unit that I have). It looks like these guests are here to visit their family member and these unauthorized guests are the family members that live nearby. I did not feel like "kicking them out" in person when I met them (I found out when I came downstairs to give more extra toilet paper). So, I asked her what is going on and she said that the other 2 people only there to visit. I went upstairs and sent a message right away to ensure that there is a record of this in the airbnb system:

Hi X, It was nice to meet you! 🙂 A kind reminder that only authorized guests are allowed on the premises/property. No unauthorized guests/visitors are allowed on the property at all time (day/night). This information is available in the house rules that was informed and agreed to prior to the booking. In case that you forgot/not aware, I'm making an exception only for tonight that a couple of your family members come visit you in the unit. Their curfew is 10pm. Please let me know if you have any questions. Best, Farah

I don't like the fact that I need to be in this situation (kind of feel "guilty" to kick people who actually do not belong here in the first place). So, for those of you who are dealing with this, you are not alone. And maybe you can also use a similar message draft that I use.

19 Replies 19

Hi Sandra. Thank you for the advice! I appreciate it! I do remind guests that I will be on site, as I expect that they may not have read the description and don’t want them to be surprised. I will have a look at clarifying the description as you suggested. Thank you! I hope you have a pleasant and prosperous summer season!

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Donna1263 

@Sandra856 is absolutely right. You cannot list a place as an entire listing if you also live there and have a bedroom there. It is really misleading and eventually it's going to lead to a whole lot of problems for you. Bad reviews may be the least of your these problems.

It's not enough to mention it in your description (although do still mention it there as well to make it crystal clear), because guests who search for an entire listing are doing that for a reason and many of them are not going to be happy when they discover that's not what they've got.

You need to list your spaces as private rooms in a shared house.

I have a house where I host guests in three bedrooms. With the exception of my own bedroom, guests have use of the entire house. That does not make these entire listings. I therefore list each one as a private room in a shared house, because that is what they are. You can detail the spaces outside of the guest bedrooms that are available to them in your listing description, amenities, guests access section etc.

Okay, thank you for the clarification. Question - when you rent the 3 bedrooms, do you rent them to different parties, or are they all from the same group?

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Donna1263 

Usually I rent them to different parties. I now stick to solo travellers, but before allowed two people per room. If guests want to book more than one room though because they are travelling together, that is no problem.

Okay, thank you again for all your help! 😊