Guest Gets Cancellation Fee from Airbnb when host has free cancellation.

Monica4
Level 10
Ormstown, Canada

Guest Gets Cancellation Fee from Airbnb when host has free cancellation.

I am no longer hosting but need to ask this question for a friend who cancelled a booking for September this year with a host that offered free cancellation. My friend claims that she is now charged C$120 for the cancellation. I am guessing, but I may be wrong, that the "free cancellation" notation on the site listing is for free cancellation within 24 hours of booking? If so, it is misleading. It has caused my friend, who travels around the world, to no longer book with Airbnb.

2 Replies 2
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Monica4The guest has 48 hours after booking to cancel the reservation penalty-free. After that, Airbnb keeps the service fee and the cancellation policy is applied based on whatever has been selected by the host.

When you book a property, it's explained pretty clearly. The listing will state "Free cancellation for 48 hours": it doesn't just say Free cancellation with no details. I use Airbnb as a guest as well, and it is clearly worded. 

If she hasn't already, I would suggest that she gives Airbnb a call and pleads her case. She may get a sympathetic rep, especially if she has used Airbnb a lot.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Monica4 

Cancellation with full refund depends on the cancellation policy attached to the reservation.

You probably refer to the "strict cancellation policy with grace period".

Then a free cancellation is possible within 48 hours of booking AND the check-in date must be at least 14 days in future. Which is clearly mentioned in the policy, shown in the listing also if you click on "read more about the policy" in the cancelation section.

https://www.airbnb.com/home/cancellation_policies#strict-with-grace-period

best regards,

Emiel