Guest Standards vs Host Standards: 5-star Guests Only?

Jeanne224
Level 6
Seoul, South Korea

Guest Standards vs Host Standards: 5-star Guests Only?

As hosts, we all know that Airbnb expects a minimum of 4.7-star average before you start receiving "warning" signs or messages to improve your listing and 4.8-star average is the requirement for SuperHost status.

That said, I'm curious as to whether hosts regularly accept guests with any star rating less than 5 stars. Would you accept a guest who has a 4-star average for the 3 criteria (cleanliness, communication, adherence to rules)? Or one that is recommended by a significantly lower percentage of hosts than the number of "positive" reviews left by hosts? Should we start being as critical in our reviews of guests as they are of hosts? I'm just curious to know what other hosts think. 

Based on my experience, I will no longer accept guests who have anything less than 5 stars for all 3 criteria and comes recommended by at least 90% of their hosts. Hosts seem to be way too generous of their guests (myself included). Also, I will definitely be more discerning about giving a 5-star rating for all 3 guest criteria and be harsher/more critical in my reviews. I used to leave short, cookie-cutter responses for less-than-stellar guests, but I realize it's not the best way to review guests, especially for the sake of other hosts. As for potential guests with no experience or guests with only one or two reviews, I'll base it on their initial communication with me and reject all requests from people who don't even answer basic questions like their estimated arrival time. Host standards may also be different for those doing this as their full-time job and have multiple "entire place" listings with self-check-in, but for live-in hosts who aren't as concerned about maxing out capacity in their own homes, perhaps we should be more careful about who we accept so that we stop getting guests who cause us unnecessary stress. 

33 Replies 33
Joan157
Level 3
Greeley, CO

I agree it is better not to accept guests with 3 star reviews.  They seem to bring problems.  My question: does Airbnb get upset with you if you decline guests when you have advertised a date being open?

My issue is continuously receiving 5/5 in all areas and then a four star review! I bake for my guests and provide wine. They get the full second floor of my home. If I'm 5 in all areas I should receive a 5 star review. Frustrated!

I agree totally

Couldn't agree more, I also have this issue!

@Joan157 wrote:

I agree it is better not to accept guests with 3 star reviews.  They seem to bring problems.  My question: does Airbnb get upset with you if you decline guests when you have advertised a date being open?

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

It is more important to only entertain good guests, that will give you upbeat reviews,  than worrying about the 'feelings' of Airbnb's computer. 😉 

@Fred13 wrote:

It is more important to only entertain good guests, that will give you upbeat reviews,  than worrying about the 'feelings' of Airbnb's computer. 😉 

Joan157
Level 3
Greeley, CO

Wasn't worrying about "computer feelings", worried Airbnb will ding you for declining guests on open dates.  

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Joan157

This is true. We are now expected to have an Acceptance Rate of 88% or above. I don't know what it needs to actually drop to before Airbnb will delist you, becaue one of my listings keeps dropping below that rate (for reasons beyond my control) and I haven't had any warning messages yet. It just shows up as an exclamation mark on my dashboard and says something like "room for improvement".

I have tried calling Airbnb to discuss this many times, but they're really not interested. The reps either tell me my acceptance rate is wrong and a technical error and they will get back to me (but never do) or they just dismiss it. Many Airbnb reps seem unaware of the new(ish) policy that hosts are being measured on Acceptance Rate.

I have gone below 88% a few times and nothing has happened. 

@Joan0, ding you how? You aiming to be a Superhost?

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

If a guest had 3 star reviews, I would be worried. However, if I notice that they have an overall 4.5 or 4/4.5 in some categories, then I try to take a closer look at their reviews to see what the problem is.

Sometimes a guest can have several 5 star reviews, but one host has rated them low, bringing down their average. Sure, what @Jeanne224 says about hosts generally being too generous in their reviews is probably true. However, sometimes it is the host who is the problem and not the guest. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt. 

So, if a guest has a negative or less than glowing review from just one host, but no other bad reviews, I usually message the guest before accepting the reservation to ask what happened. I find that people are usually quite forthcoming about any problems that occured. 

Also, I will check the host's other reviews and the reviews they have left for other guests. In some circumstances, I have discovered by doing this that that particular host is super critical of other guests too, or other guests have brought up issues with the host in their reviews.

Much as we should protect ourselves (and I understand if any host prefers to accept only 5 star guests), occasionally you do get good guests who just happened to encounter a petty and difficult host. We all have our different levels of tolerance and some things that may really annoy me might not be a problem for others and vice versa. I often see posts on the forums where hosts are complaining about something guests did that really isn't a big deal for me (and I am quite strict about my house rules).

I go about it as you do, and tone to me in reviews by guests & hosts speak volumes. Preferably,  I like to deal with good-nature people, foremost.

Fred in Belize, I think Huma in London answered my concern about Airbnb acceptance policy very well.

I do the same.  I have taken guests with low stars and even a bad review and all worked out well.  And I have taken guests with 5 across the board who were terrible. I also tend to rely more on communication with the guest rather than reviews and stars.