Guest cancels after he checked-in

Scott241
Level 1
Scotland, United Kingdom

Guest cancels after he checked-in

Hello.  My guest stayed for a 5 days and decided to check out, 5 days before they should.

Should I refund the difference in days?

Way I look at it is, I could have had someone else there for those days.

2 Replies 2

@Scott241 - the guest is eligible for a refund based on your refund policy which is Moderate. 

https://www.airbnb.com/home/cancellation_policies#moderate

If the guest arrives and decides to leave early, 50% of the accommodation fees for the nights not spent 24 hours after the cancellation occurs are refunded.

Airbnb will handle the refund based on this policy.

If you choose to give a larger refund, you need to do this through the Resolution Center and it will come out of your earnings.  

Please note there are exceptions to this policy.  The guest needs to apply for an exception and Airbnb will determine if they meet the criteria.  You can certainly send the guest the information about how to cancel, how to apply for an exception if they might need it, and your cancellation policy.  The rest is up to them and Airbnb.   

Ben205
Level 10
Crewkerne, United Kingdom

@Scott241

My personal view is, I wouldn't refund from my earnings.

More importantly, though, think carefully about what a refund or lack of one might do in terms of a review from your guest. Did they give a reason and ask for a refund? And are they likely to post a negative review either with or without money back?

It may be worth holding off until they contact you. And, if there are any issues that have been raised, communicate them to Airbnb.

Hopefully, all will be well, though.