Guest cancels before check-in, then Airbnb asks me to review them?

Lisa1485
Level 3
Guildford, United Kingdom

Guest cancels before check-in, then Airbnb asks me to review them?

Hi all,

We had guests due to stay for one night whilst visiting family in the area. The day of check-in, they contacted me to say the due to their daughter being ill (whom they were visiting) they had to cancel. I asked them to cancel the booking or amend it to a later date if they wished to defer. They cancelled. Due to our moderate cancellation policy, they are not due a refund other than for the service charge.

Today I have received an email from Airbnb asking me to review their stay, which clearly I can’t do, as they didn’t stay. Do I just do a generic, “xyz‘s communication was great, sadly they had to cancel their booking at late notice, due to family illness. However, they were quick to advise us of their change of plans” 

Or do I not review them at all? Seems a bit pointless to me!

19 Replies 19
Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Only one experience, quite recently, a cancelled film shoot,

It had involved some considerable and detailed exchanges with the Producer.

Then came two alterations to dates, to the next day and back to the original day.

The reason given the Assistant Director had been in a car accident, and a substitute had to be found.

Then the Cancellation two days before the shoot, Producer very upset and profusely sorry, with the explanation 'the Assistant Director had lied to me'. (My reply: 'I hope not regarding the car accident' )

I suggested a Cancellation, and though not obligated under Strict, I offered 50% Refund.

No Response.

Automated request to Review followed.

I reviewed  giving a brief account of events,  and could at least commend Producer for 'Communication' - one of the three Criteria Hosts can rate for Guests. Indeed, there had been more than enough exchanges for me to get a good sense of Producer's personality: friendly, genuine, honest, considerate, conscientious and seemingly well organized. 

I further considered the benefit of providing a first review on this profile. (It was a Business account just set up by an experienced Airbnb Guest with another, personal account as she informed me.) In sum, I wished to convey something positive about this person,  certainly her Communication skills,  and finally thumbs up for Recommendation.to prospective Hosts,

I sent her a copy of the Review with explanation why I had done so; and invited her to reciprocate if she wish. Moreover, I reminded my offer for a 50% Refund still stood.

No response. 

End of Story. 

Consequently, I wouldn't hold any preconceptions. It was a rarity, indeed a unique case, and I don't know my response if it happens again, as it will depend on the circumstances. -- In short, my advice, each case judged on its merits. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Alon1 @Pamela485 @Lisa1485 @Sandra856 @Lisa723

Airbnb's rules say that a review cannot be accepted for a stay that did not take place!

But that is incorrect. The opportunity to leave a review will be offered if the cancellation took place on the scheduled day of the stay.

Look, most times when this happens there is a legitimate reason for it and most of us are reasonable people and don't want to see someone else disadvantaged!

I had a day of stay cancellation and was offered the opportunity to review so, this is how I handled it

This was the review I gave of the guest....

cancelled reservation 2.png

And this is how the guest reviewed me....

review for cancelled stay.png

No animosity anywhere, the guest was happy I got onto CX explained the situation.....he got all his money back including the Airbnb service fees. Within 20 minutes I got another booking for that night.....listing was all ready to go, so no loss or extra effort on my part.

And Airbnb looked great, not only with me but with the guest......and I am 100% sure, he will be back!

Sometimes we have to use the system to our advantage......

I got a 5 star review from a guest who never set foot in the place , how good is that!!!

@Branka & Silvia,  does this classify as the perfect guest??

Cheers.......Rob

@Robin4 I wish I could just return the money to the guest if they can't come and tell me last minute. But I can't, I'm afraid. I live in Copenhagen and Copenhagen usually tops (the top 10 list) for most expensive cities to live in in the world. My old and tiny mini home is quite expensive. I can't tell the bank that payment will be a little less this month because Bob from Germany changed his plans and decided not to come last minute. 

And my guess is that I'm not the only one. I did not choose the strict policy for fun. 

It is another case if the guest tells me weeks/month before they arrive of course. 

Best, Sandra 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Sandra856

Hey, I understand that Sandra, and it is not the same for me as it is for you. I have enough assets that I don't need this money....and that is probably my good fortune. I have income from investments and do not depend on Airbnb to keep the bank happy.

It is a quirk of fate Sandra that we never appreciate what we have. All through our lives we are  slaves to our existence. We say....one day we will do this, or that...once the house is paid off, when the kids are through school, when that car in the garage is paid for, there is always time.

But, sooner or later a catastrophe comes along and you realise....Things come and go but, memories are forever....and that is when you turn your life around and make ever day count as though it is your last. We have the resources to do what ever we want but circumstances have meant that our travelling days together are over and that is why I get so much out of hosting, I don't want to spend the rest of my life thinking....what if!  I love meeting new people.

You know Sandra, I charge $90 per night...some nights a guest and I will plow through $200 worth of wine out of my cellar, I don't care, it is the experience that is important to me, and I am lucky to be able to do it.

I understand I should not be so flippant where refunding a guest who didn't stay is concerned and that it is so much harder for others to do. I am sorry Sandra I didn't mean to hold myself up as a role model for others, and that was possibly a bit selfish of me! 

Cheers.....Rob

John28
Level 6
Honolulu, HI

I had a similar occurence, actually a few times.  I too thought that I should not be reviewing them since they cancelled, but figured if Airbnb keeps sending me reminders to review their stay (acknowledging that it didn't occur in the emails, that they must want me to tell the rest of the Airbnb community that they didn't understand what Airbnb was, thought they were gettting an entire townhome for 39 dollars a night and then two hours after check in begins on their stay, they call me and want to cancel b/c as I explained to them, there room would be the room in the back with the private bath, and that my room is on the other side of the hall also with a private bath.  They took issue with the fact that it said it was "private", but it wasn't according to them.  As I told the guests, no it is a private suite within a townhome that I live in.  You will have your own private bathroom, bedroom, and living room area/study.  That wasn't what they wanted!  Well, they had driven from South Florida all day, had the room booked for almost a month or more, and they just decide to look at the details as they are pulling into town.  Even after they were told, there would be no refund.  They still didn't want to stay in a place with someone else!  Then, they have the nerve to ask for a refund.  I'm thinking, you didn't read (and they could read and speak English well, that wasn't the isssue) when you booked the place, you obviously didn't care when Airbnb told you that you were not getting a refund because I know they did!  Now, you are at the Super 8- Enjoy your privacy!  I was going to be gone anyway! lol