Guest claims Airbnb's exteneous and travel insurance payout, gets double payment. Host gets nothing

Brian68
Level 9
Surat Thani, Thailand

Guest claims Airbnb's exteneous and travel insurance payout, gets double payment. Host gets nothing

I am currently engaged with Airbnb's so called "case manager", although they have not replied in the last 48 hours, so I've taken to the forum and other online media outlets.

Fyi, my cancellation policy is strict.

I wouldn't wish on anyone an illness that had to make them cut their holiday short, however it does happen and here's my story.

A couple were due a seven night stay and messaged me the day beforehand to say they could only stay one night then return home, owing to a existing health problem she had and under her doctors advice.

Whilst being sympathetic, I am of the thinking that travel insurance must be taken by the guest if there is a known medical issue that could disrupt their holiday, right?

They checked in, hired a motor bike, went out to dinner and then flew home the next day. Nothing was said, as in my mind the policy is strict and that all parties were signed to that agreement.

Several days later I am contacted by Airbnb asking if I would be prepared to settle for only 50% of the booking and that the case was under "special review" regarding a claim under Airbnb's extenuating circumstances policy.

https://www.airbnb.ie/help/article/1320/what-if-i-need-to-cancel-because-of-an-emergency-or-unavoida...

NB, Special review?

I refused, as in my opinion this was an underlying condition, not a medical emergency and had no bearing on the special review circumstances on Airbnb's  policy page. They claimed it had nothing to do with her existing condition, I disagree.

If the doctor had asked her to come home immediately then how could it have possibly been an unrelated illness, is he capable of diagnosis by phone and why could she not visit a local practitioner?

It clearly was an issue that related to her existing condition, they even told me that.

Again Airbnb support contacted me and said they have received a doctors certificate that proved this was unrelated and I would only receive one nights payment and that the case was closed.

Who doesn't know a doctor who bends the rules for insurance claims?

It was in my opinion a real case of bullying and manipulation by Airbnb, firstly to offer me 50% and then to decide that only the one night used would be paid.

I then phoned support and raised the case to be opened again, at the same time I also contacted the guest who had coincidentally left me a 5* review on the very last day. Which I am sure Airbnb had nothing to do with...Oh no!

I am totally convinced the conversation went between them, "We will pay you, but be sure to leave the host a great review, it will soften the blow".

If only I could see their transcript.

I already had decided not to let this drop. I contacted the guest who was very polite and asked him if they got home Ok and that I hoped their travel insurance had covered all the flight changes and other disruption to their holiday.

They replied

"Yes thank you, after the doctors note we were able to claim the insurance for the whole of our trip"

Wow! So I have sent a copy of this transcript to Airbnb support asking how the guest could possibly claim twice on their trip and leave the host with basically nothing.

I have also posted a redacted copy on Twitter including Airbnb and Brian Cheski. I await a reply from all sources.

There is not an insurance broker in the world who would underwrite Airbnb's Extenuating circumstances policy. It should be  scrapped immediately and replaced with a disclaimer highlighting  "Travel insurance must be taken by all guests and that the hosts cancellation policy is non negotiable"

Simple enough really

Unfortunately Airbnb is not ATOL protected so therefore their attitude towards hosts is tough luck, the guests pays more, we like the guests more!

I have been judged and sentenced by Airbnbs case manager practically in absentia and I will not stop until I get the payment I am owed and will continue to update this thread with ongoing info regarding the case.

Thanks

6 Replies 6
Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Brian68 while I am appalled at airbnb's use of extenuating circumstances policy and personally caught a guest using a fake death certificate, reported to airbnb and nothing was done, could it be that the guest used that language but actually meant Airbnb's extenuating circumstances, but just called it insurance? If you think they double dipped, any chance you can call the guest and ask them to recall the Airbnb claim? After all, this is insurance fraud. And you already have a good review, so nothing to lose there as far as upsetting the guest.

Brian68
Level 9
Surat Thani, Thailand

Hi Inna,

Thanks and good advice.

In my message to them I clearly stated that I had hoped their "Travel insurance" not Airbnb's policy had covered the costs of flight changes and all their holiday expenses which would include accommodation.

This leaves me in no doubt they had separate insurance.

My issue really remains with Airbnb and the way they have just dismissed my concerns and sied with the guests without any consideration.

I cannot believe you were ignored over a fake death certificate, that's astonishing!

Brian68
Level 9
Surat Thani, Thailand

************CASE RESOLVED***********

I am delighted to say that after laying out all the facts to Senior Case Manager, Mick in Ireland that I have received full payment.

Thankfully good sense has prevailed as it was clear to see the "extenuating circumstances policy" had been misused in this case.

I did reiterate the need for this policy to be void for medical/health issues apart from endemic diseases and of course death and natural disasters.

As hosts we are sympathetic towards guest problems when traveling but you should always consider travel insurance when abroad and not rely on refunds from Airbnb and exploiting loopholes for personal gain at the expense of the hosts.

This is now closed and I urge any host to persevere with Airbnb if they feel they have been wronged. It does work if you lay out your case politely and with good reason.

Many thanks

Brian

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Brian68 

Great work, @Brian68! Delighted you got a fair outcome in the end, but it's so very wrong that you had to go to such lengths to get it. This happens all  the time, and hosts need to start fighting back, and standing their ground when it comes to Airbnb taking money out of their pockets. 

And when Airbnb claims to have refunded guests, for whatever reasons, hosts need to be checking with their guests that they did actually get a refund, and confirming exactly how much it was for. Far too many discrepancies being reported in recent times. 

Brian68
Level 9
Surat Thani, Thailand

Thanks Susan. 

I got a much better response from twitter when I snapshot and redacted the guests message in parts that they had in fact claimed the travel insurance on top. 

It was taken over by a senior case manager. It does seem that case managers are biased in certain cases perhaps because the host gets irritated.

It's a fairly clear message to Airbnb. 

Do away with the extenuating  policy and insist on guests covering themselves  with proper insurance. 

I agree that guests need to purchase their own travelers insurance the same way they do with the airlines. Insurance covers accommodations as well! The money does not come out of their pockets as they get reimbursed, but simply opening up the nights for the host does not help AT ALL! I just had a guest cancel one night before MLK weekend, which is one of our biggest holidays for a ski town during the winter. I then have to lower my prices to HOPEFULLY get a booking??? Yet they get a full refund. Airbnb should really stay out of the judge/jury aspect of why someone had to cancel and leave it up to the insurance companies. Hosts should not be punished because some people just want out of their place.