Guest had to leave early due to family issues

Kate536
Level 2
Manchester, United Kingdom

Guest had to leave early due to family issues

Hello everyone, 

I have been hosting for about 1 month and half and just had a situation I’m not sure how to react to. 

I had guests for 1 night who checked in at late night. Shortly after arriving, they left my place for a drink. 1 hour later, they came back and told me that they had to leave as one of their family members is not well and needs to be taken home. I was surprised because I never had a guest leaving so quickly. I asked if there is anything wrong with my place. They told me that my place is lovely but they just need to leave to take the family member home. 

I’m just wondering, would it be advisable to issue them a refund? They were here for less than 15 minutes so I feel a little funny about having to charge them for the night. However, I took my time to clean and prepare the room. Also, the day was blocked as they booked. 

Another question is, how should I review them? I haven't met them long enough to give an accurate review although they did seem like a nice couple. 

Any advice will be helpful.

Thank you. 

Kate

4 Replies 4
Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Kate536 in my opinion you shouldn't refund them because you lost other potential guests in order to host them. If they can prove having a family emergency I am sure Airbnb will give them a refund but they might have just changed their mind about staying at your place and are trying to get their money back. On the other side if you don't give them a refund e prepared for a negative review. It is your choice as to what is more important to you, getting the money or geting a good review.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hello @Kate536 ,

The guest chooses to leave and it is up to the guest to cancel the reservation. So you simply have to wait for that. A refund (if any) will be calculated automatically based on the cancellation policy.But as it is only a stay for 1 night and the guest did not cancel, the reservation ends on day of check-out.

best regards, Emiel

@Kate536

I would just wait and see - technically the guest chose to leave so is not due a refund. IF the guest "cancelled" the booking as she was leaving, then any refund would be issued automatically by airbnb. For a 1 night stay, she checked in and used the room (even if it was only 15 mins) but just didn't happen to sleep there and it was kept blocked for her use that night. If she does ask about a refund, send her the following links and explain the guest should have officially"cancelled" if she wanted a refund, if she just kept her booking then there is nothing anyone can do because she kept the room blocked. Also, a refund does not guarantee a positive review. Good luck~

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/43/what-happens-if-my-guest-cancels

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1320/what-if-i-need-to-cancel-because-of-an-emergency-or-unavoid...

In terms of reviews, if it were me I'd leave a short and factual "Guest had a 1 night booking, and was friendly & polite during brief meet for check-in."

No refund is owed (legally or morally).

It's great you want to be a good host - but doing that makes it harder for other hosts down the line in terms of expectation.  You COULD offer them a discount on a future stay - but wait a while so they don't try to claim a refund now.