Guest leaves the same day of check in how to approach refund option?

Becky345
Level 2
New York, US

Guest leaves the same day of check in how to approach refund option?

Guest check-in and complained about smoke smell from building seeping into the apartment. She ultimately had to leave and go somewhere else for the night. Do I give her a full refund or 50% refund? 

Also if I do give the refund, do I give it through the send or request money button and do I have to give back the amount plus the service fee and cleaning fee? 

3 Replies 3
Becky345
Level 2
New York, US

This is just for a one night stay and I have a moderate cancellation policy. 

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

It depends on good faith.

Is the guest truly bothered? is there really smoke smell? 

Or are they just manufacturing a complaint, cuz their friend has just offered them a free stay at their house?

If someone leaves immediately cuz they don't like the listing, I give all of them  their money back IF they cancel.

I use the resolution center to reimburse. I wait a day until everything settles and I know how much I can give back. i don't refund airbnb fees or taxes.

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

Refund 100% if there was really a smoke smell. One of my first guests ( a lady) complained about a smoke smell in the apartment. It was a shock-there is no one living 3 floors below and every apartment has it's own chimney in every room. Now the chimneys are used for ventilation.

She didn't cancel and didn't mention this in the review, but she sent me a message, that there was a cigarettes smell early in the morning.

What was the case...the neighbor above me is a smoker. Because his wife forbids him to smoke at home, early in the morning, he is going in the attic, above his apartment, and smokes there, while drinking his coffee. That's where the smoke comes from. The problem was solved very simple - with a back draft damper. Without this simple thing, when he turns on his fan, the smoke is seeping in my bathroom.