Guest stole thousands of dollars of TVs and other electronics.

Tom672
Level 2
Dallas, TX

Guest stole thousands of dollars of TVs and other electronics.

I just started renting my house on AirBnb using a local management company (MC).

A guest stayed for 8 days and when they checked out my MC notified me they had stolen 5 TVs (1 in each br and the living room). I went over and checked out the house and it turns out they stole a lot of other electronics also and trashed the house. I would estimate they stole more than $5K of equipment and it will take a couple days of work to re-install everything and reprogram all the automation.

I actually came back in town b/c my neighbor called me on the second day of the stay to let me know that the people staying there were screaming and fighting all night. The said it sounded like crack-fueled domestic violence with death threats and crashing sounds in the house. When the erratic behavior was still going on in the morning, they called the police. By the time the police showed up, though, everything seemed to settle down.

At the time I wasn't sure what to do so I texted my MC about the situation. He said he checked in with them and they said everything was fine. But sure enough, a week later when they checked out a bunch of stuff was gone.

He said AirBnb would cover the cost to replace the items and that he would file a report with the police. 

Does anyone have any advice on what I should do? I am not sure if I should get involved or let my MC handle it.

18 Replies 18
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Tom672,

I noticed you do not have an active listing on your profile.

So for you there is nothing to do. If the MC listed your property, they are the primary contact to Airbnb and to the guests.

best regards,

Emiel

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

After one night of screaming etc I would DEFINITELY have taken action immediately. Really sorry this has happened to you, but seven more nights after a complaint which was a good warning is far too long. Sack the MC.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

hm.. I've seen almost identical post few weeks back...trashed the place, stole TVs.... maybe it's the same group of guests? 

I saw that also. I don't think it is the same group. Different MO. This was a couple with 17-year-old son and no dog. The other was 3 guy and a dog.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Emiel1 It sounds like your manager isn't bothering to vet the guests, or maybe these slipped through. Your manager needs to read past reviews of guests left by previous hosts as well as message with the guests to ascertain their intentions in renting your space, needs to make sure the people who are arrive are the people who booked, etc. 

If your manager doesn't know this, you need a new manager. And he's wrong- Airbnb won't automatically cover the cost to replace the stolen goods- it's a huge song and dance to get them to honor their supposed host guarantee, and even if they do give you something, they won't give you replacement value, but will discount whatever they decide is reasonable depreciation.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Tom672 THE MANAGER SAID ABB WOULD REPLACE YOUR STUFF!?!?

😂😂😂😂

They should be fired for that piece of nonsense. OR if that magically works & abb makes you whole, please give us their contact info cause we should all hire them. 

Good luck. Please do come back and tell us what happens. Please. 

Teresa346
Level 2
Salt Lake City, UT

Would like to know the guest name.  My friend had similar experience.  A guest named Abgail from Orem Utah has stolen everything her boy friend and her could remove from the host house.  Even towels, and toilet paper.. Total lost is not able to recover from 8 months revenue of hosting, and some are irreplaceable items.  The host wrote her a bad review but Abgail is able to apply a new account with a new photo from Airbnb, then tried to book my place.  Fortunately, my friend recognized her picture and told me to reject her stay.  With No photos policy, we both feel Airbnb has not been on hosts' side.  If we have not given a warning billboard for black list of guests, we are thinking about leaving Airbnb.  

The guest's name was Jonna from Canyon Lake, TX.

I’m sitting here wondering how Airbnb can claim to vett IDs then allow someone to create a duplicate account (don’t answer...I’m being facetious). Is Airbnb trying to kill its business?

I don't think the name given on AirBnB is real. With some internet searching, I was able to track down the social media profiles of the guest. It's a little tricky because all I have is a name and a short description. AirBnB took down the profile when my MC made the claim, so I don't know if there was additional info. But the name and description match up with someone on Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.

I showed the social profile pictures to someone who met the guests and they said they were pretty sure they were not the same people.

The police said it is likely identity theft.

David3296
Level 2
Belfast, United Kingdom

Theres some really good advice vids on youtube  about abb

One host lost a tv abb need to see the receipt proof of purchase

Jeremy-Jenny0
Level 2
Philadelphia, PA

Had the same experience. Our place is North Philly, worst place in the whole world to host Airbnb guests. They are local black people. Trashed my place, stole my TV, and punched holes in the wall. 

@Jeremy-Jenny0  That's extremely racist. I can assure you there are plenty of good ol white boys who trash out Airbnbs and steal things, as well.

How is that "racist" by simply stating the fact? I can even show you my police report. The suspects' profile says Philadelphia, they got the Philly accent and they're black. Don't just go around and assume people are racist, please. I'm not even white, and I'm not defending whites. I'm simply stating the fact.